Tips for gaining weight.

Eleuthera

Let slip the Guinea Pigs of war!
Sep 11, 2008
Hey guys,

This year I've spent nearly 2 months in hospital, and in that time I've lost about 10Kg (22 pounds) or about 1/7th of my weight. I've mostly recovered medically, but am still severely underweight and I need tips to regain at least some of that, preferably in a healthy manner (so just drinking butter all day isn't an option).

So my question to you, what are your tips for high-calorie, easy to digest foods (I still have problems eating large amounts of food). Moving less isn't an option, I spent half the day in bed already and most of the rest of the time sitting at my computer.

Thanks, Eleu

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
After of bout of food poisoning due to a Camel kebab I lost 2kg. What put the weight back on was pies in general and fish pie in particular. Cheese, eggs, butter and fish, lots of calories there. If that's too strong for you stomach you could poach the fish in milk and have the milk as a kind of broth.

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
I've heard peanut butter is good for gaining weight, it's high in fat and protein with small servings.

Ubiquitous Duck

Jan 16, 2014
It would be best to sit down to several meals a day I'd say.

I say 'meals', but that doesn't mean they have to be large, just multiple occasions of food and not just snacky crap/rubbish, proper food.

BlackStar42

Jan 23, 2010
Lots of pies, creamy mashed potato, plenty of carbs, fish and chips etc. Lots of carbohydrates and fat and protein.

dyre

Mar 30, 2011
My aunt was in a situation similar to yours. Eat more meals per day, but keep them balanced. Don't change your diet to ice cream and pies. Here's a webmd article about it.
http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/how-to-gain-weight

flag_hippo

May 9, 2014
In my experience, a lot of weight can be gained by simply eating unhealthy stuff(sweets, cakes, kebabs etc) just before you you go to bed. It doesn't give the stomach time to process it all.

Frission

Until I get thrown out.
May 16, 2011
Just eat normally, if a bit more than usual and don't eat unhealthy stuff. You want to get back weight to get back your good health, not ruin it with junk food.

Also I hope you're recovering from whatever put you in the hospital.

Eleuthera

Let slip the Guinea Pigs of war!
Sep 11, 2008
Thanks guys, I'll see how things work out.

A bit more information, at the beginning of January I started a quite heavy dose of chemo treatments, followed by a stemcell transplant. I lost some weight that first month but nothing too worrisome. The stemcell transplant worked but caused a "graft vs host" reaction in my lower intestines (my new immune-system started attacking my bowels), I was readmitted, but was unable to eat for over 3 weeks "feeding" through intravenous amino-acids.
I've been home again for about 6 weeks now, but I've only just stated on solid foods again.

Anyway thanks for the tips.