Random Fella

Nov 17, 2010
Should have saved your money, can't think of a more boring game
Just dig real far down and hug some creepers

The_Lost_King

Oct 7, 2011
Dangit2019 said:
CrazyBlaze said:
Those green penisis you see walking around? They want hugs. Lots of hugs. If they blow up it means you didn't get to them fast enough to give them a hug.
I'm on my 15th save right now. I keep trying to hug them faster, but it seems like they just don't like me. :(

I think there's a book on this; it was called "How to Make Friends and Influence Penises". But I might be wrong about the subject matter.
I hope you are kidding.

Space Spoons

Aug 21, 2008
Think of a project to occupy yourself with. Preferably something big. If it seems like your chosen project might take awhile, don't be discouraged- that's the whole idea behind Minecraft, that given enough time and resources, you can make something amazing.
Also, if you have friends that play or are interested in playing, I highly recommend finding a multiplayer server to play on with them. Solo Minecraft is all well and good, but it's so much more fun with a group of friends.

Manji187

Jan 29, 2009
Personally I enjoy exploring underground cave complexes and rebuilding them into safe, easily traversable areas. That's my "project".

EDIT: I prefer Survival Mode.

Eleuthera

Let slip the Guinea Pigs of war!
Sep 11, 2008
I find the mining itself quite cathartic, the clunk-clunk-clunk-pop sound relaxes me. Usually after digging a big enough hole I'll have enough materials to build something big-ish. When I do I usually go for roman-esque bridges, big massive stone arches.

And yes, always in survival.

EDIT: Our (my friends and I) multiplayer map, http://dutigw.st.ewi.tudelft.nl/mc/ddt3/pigmap-default.html The stone bridge in the centre (more or less) is mine, the big hole to the right of it is as well...

Lil_Rimmy

Mar 19, 2011
Believe me when I say that whilst others will tell you to make a project or whatever, and while I totally agree and these are great ideas, I always say...

EXPLORE.

You don't know what you will find. I remember this one place where the mountains touched the sky then connected to other mountains with flying mountains in between. It was like a second world on top, and I could see for ages.

It's just amazing what you can find... it's insane just what the random generator makes.

And as a few others would say, I would invite you to my server, Air Dominance, which is a Bukkit server that uses plugins like Guns, Airships, Money, Shops, Taxes and many more... Bukkit has not been updated yet, so for a few days (maybe 3 or 4) it will be down.

But yeah, just so you know as I always got confused:

When someone says mods, they normally mean singleplayer mods. You of course have to install these. There are also multiplayer mods, but they are rare and a bugger to install.

When someone says Bukkit Server/plugin, they normally mean multiplayer Bukkit servers which have server mods and you don't need to install anything. That means you can have say... Airships on your server and anyone with unmodded Minecraft can still play it.

When someone says Spout, they normally mean that there is a Bukkit server with the "Spout" plugin, which allows things that you normally can't do like turn into werewolves or have full on guns and ammo with new crafting benches etc. But you need the "SpoutCraft" launcher.

Sorry about the long winded explanation, but if you are ever going to dabble into mods then you should know that, as I got confused a LOT when people tried to explain things to me.

DazZ.

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2009
When mining, dig down to around level 11 then dig straight lines around the place until you find enough diamonds for full armour.
This is the level that they're most likely to be.

No need for mods yet, unless it's optifine to make it run smoother and add anti aliasing. No point in modding a game where you're still finding new things and don't really know what you can or can't do already.

Also, build next to a village now that trading is implemented, they're also a good source of wheat very early on.

Dangit2019

Aug 8, 2011
The_Lost_King said:
Dangit2019 said:
CrazyBlaze said:
Those green penisis you see walking around? They want hugs. Lots of hugs. If they blow up it means you didn't get to them fast enough to give them a hug.
I'm on my 15th save right now. I keep trying to hug them faster, but it seems like they just don't like me. :(

I think there's a book on this; it was called "How to Make Friends and Influence Penises". But I might be wrong about the subject matter.
I hope you are kidding.
Of course I'm not kidding. Now if you'll excuse me, I have an invitation to the annual Bang-your-head-against-a-brick-wall-athon with my cousin Squidward.

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
Make a treehouse.

For added fun, make a treehouse city, with treebridges and treewalkways to connect your treehouses and treefriends together.

On a side note, tree looks like a silly word to me now.

Capatcha: sandy beach
That reminds me: build a sand castle either on a beach or in a desert. I don't mean no dinky little thing, I mean a huge ass castle made of sand.

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
DazZ. said:
When mining, dig down to around level 11 then dig straight lines around the place until you find enough diamonds for full armour.
How do you determine the 11th level? 11th from sea level or something?

Also, doe that rule apply to the 360 version as well?

Esotera

May 5, 2011
Get some friends round to play it on LAN. It's so much more enjoyable than single-player and you can all work on cool projects collaboratively or individually, whilst living in a central location that lets you trade useful items.

DazZ.

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2009
soren7550 said:
DazZ. said:
How do you determine the 11th level? 11th from sea level or something?

Also, doe that rule apply to the 360 version as well?
It's 11 blocks above bedrock, on PC if you press F3 it shows you your coordinates, along with depth level.
Or using the popular Reis minimap mod you can get them on screen all the time.

Not a clue if you can see it or not on Xbox, but I'm almost certain it'll be the same, it's been that way for a while so whatever version the xbox runs I can see being the same.

Texas Joker 52

All hail the Pun Meister!
Jun 25, 2011
Well, for general tips, there are the basics:

1): Don't dig straight down, or straight up. You might end up falling into a cave, or even lava if you dig straight down, while straight up might end up burying you in sand or gravel, or even flooding the cave if you end up hitting a pocket of water, or even the ocean.

2): Avoid Creepers at all costs. They are the suicide bomber assholes of the Minecraft world. There is no creature more malevolent as the Creeper, because their deepest desire is to blow you up, or at the very least, blow up anything you've built.

3): Make a project for yourself, and yes, explore. You may find a place in your world that you find amazing. Keep that place in mind! You might figure out a way to make that amazing place, more amazing. For example, a good seed to use for the world generator is Artomix. Spawns you on an amazing jungle island.

4): Invest in single-player mods. There are two that I consider essential.

The Timber Mod: http://minecraftmodding.net/minecraft-mods/minecraft-1-2-5-timber-mod/
This mod makes it so that, if you cut down the bottom block of a tree, each wood block above it, also drops. You essentially harvest entire trees at a time, and it saves lots of time and axes.

Reis Minimap Mod: http://www.minecraftdl.com/reis-minimap-mod/
This will help you navigate your world a little better, thanks to the minimap and the waypoints you can set.

Of course, before you can really use those, you need Modloader first:
http://www.minecraftdl.com/modloader-risugami-download-latest/
Follow the instructions, and you should be good to go. Yes, its a lot of trouble to go to, but it helps in the long run.

A Satanic Panda

Nov 5, 2009
There's this hidden easter egg that makes the game much more fun. Find the "uninstall" executable and run it, it's usually in the game's directory. I'm sure you will love what happens.