Tips for visiting England

New Frontiersman

Feb 2, 2010
So, in about 9 days I'm going to be visiting the United Kingdom, specifically Brighton, to study at the University of Sussex. So I'll be gone for about six weeks and thought I should ask here for any travel tips from anyone who's from England or has studied abroad before.

So, for example what do you guys think are some things I should definitely do while I'm there, or places I definitely go visit while I'm in the UK? What should I do to prepare and how much money should I bring with me and all that?

If anyone has some just general tips for traveling to England, or study abroad, or just traveling in general I'd love to hear them.

Thanks you guys, I'm really looking forward to my trip, and any tips would help a lot.

Slitzkin

Jul 3, 2011
I'd say go watch a football match but the season is over...go down to the local public house and have a pint with the regulars? Drive down to Cornwall and have a Cornish pasty? Go to a rave? Check out all the famous cities despite their repuatation (Manchester, Liverpool, London, Birmingham, Newcastle, etc)? Learn how to queue and complain efficiently?

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
In Brighton you are an hour away, by train, from central London. London is a world city has got just about anything you could name, two opera companies, a theatre land only equalled by Broadway, more art galleries than you can shake a stick at, half dozen world class museums and world class sporting events (You can even see a NFL game in the Autumn). The UK in general is dripping with history and you can't move without bumping into something thats old by US standards (I live in house that is older than the US and about 20% of houses where I live are as well). In Brighton you are about 4 and half hours from Paris by train which is pushing it for a day trip but Normandy is well within range of day. It might help if you said something about your interests, ie I like art, history or to go clubbing etc.

As to money well things are expensive over here by US standards, from my last trip to the states I would say around 20%, so you are going to need to budget accordingly. Some items like fuel and cigarettes are eye wateringly expensive by US prices, so don't drive and if you smoke buy lots of duty free. Last time I did the calculation it worked out about $8 per US gallon and $11 per pack of 20 cigarettes.

Super Kami Guru

Aug 10, 2011
Brighton is one of the most expensive places in England outside of London, but it's also one of the best to visit.
Great historic shopping areas as well as modern, the Pavilion, The Palace Pier (now called Brighton Pier but you call it that to anyone actually from Brighton and prepared to yelled at :p), great beaches, great bars. As has been said it's an hour to London by train but make sure you travel off-peak (outside of work commuting hours) otherwise it will be near £50 for a ticket.

You will probably find Brighton very pricey, ever since achieving city status over a decade ago prices have sky rocketed and being a massive tourist attraction in itself it's set up to fleece you for all your worth.

SsilverR

Feb 26, 2009
Money? bring alot because even a can of coka cola here is like 3 quid. essex+sussex are generally alot cheaper than London but still.

If you want girls look in London, easy girls? look in essex. for a good time? Camden in London.

Also be careful in some places .... going into certain areas thinking everyone's a tea sipping pansey is liable to get you stabbed and robbed

New Frontiersman

Feb 2, 2010
SsilverR said:
Money? bring alot because even a can of coka cola here is like 3 quid. essex+sussex are generally alot cheaper than London but still.

If you want girls look in London, easy girls? look in essex. for a good time? Camden in London.

Also be careful in some places .... going into certain areas thinking everyone's a tea sipping pansy is liable to get you stabbed and robbed
Okay, first question: How much is a quid? Is that more or less than a pound and can you tell me how it relates to the US dollar?

I don't think I'd go around assuming that everyone in England is "a tea sipping pansy," and I'd certainly do my best to avoid bad neighborhoods. But I'll definitly keep that in mind.

Also thanks for the advice about Essex. I'll make sure to remember that!

HerefordEscapistMan said:
Come to the quaint little city called Hereford... Actually don't it is awful, ha.
I know of a place called Hereford in the US, it's a tiny backwater town in Texas. I had a friend who lived there for a couple years.

Thanks to every one for all the good advice! I'll be sure to keep that in mind while I'm abroad.

mgirl

Mar 29, 2011
SsilverR said:
Lolwut?

I have never seen a can of coke for more than £1, maybe its a bit more in london but £3 seems like a slight exaggeration to me.

Also as for the 'being careful' thing, as long as you stick in a group at night, you should be fine.

I can't give you much advice, I don't live in the south, I don't really know whats there. I can tell you that amongst most students at university there's a pretty significant drinking culture, so you should probably just... be aware of that.

Also, OP, a 'quid' is slang for a pound.

New Frontiersman

Feb 2, 2010
archiebawled said:
SsilverR said:

New Frontiersman said:
Also thanks for the advice about Essex. I'll make sure to remember that!
Remember that places in the UK have stereotypes just like every other place, and whilst some may be broadly justified when averaged over the entire region, others aren't (at all). I don't think it would be a good idea to go to an area or speak to somebody whilst relying on the stereotype. If nothing else then you wouldn't like it being done to you.

I've never seen a can of coke in the UK for 3 pounds. You might see it in a nightclub in central London, but nowhere outside that.

Another thing: make sure you're aware of the difference between England and the UK. Getting it wrong won't earn you brownie points (note the understatement) and you risk reinforcing an unkind stereotype (and if you're not wanting to be judged based on a stereotype, refer back to the stuff about people from Essex).

England is one country.
UK = England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland
Britain = England, Wales and Scotland

Oh yeah, and if you go out for a drink be prepared for a little light-hearted teasing about how US pints aren't "real" pints (UK pint is 568ml, US pint is 473ml).

Edit: I have it on good authority that portion sizes are smaller here, and that customer services is a little less...enthusiastic (my partner's father once went into a shop in the US where a staff member attempted to high-five him - in England this would be considered cringeworthy and unpleasant).

Further: money generally isn't discussed in great detail (i.e. salaries are off limits)
I was honestly kidding about Essex thing. If I do go to Essex it probably won't be to look for "easy girls." I agree with you totally though, going around talking to people like they're just stereotypes isn't a good way to make friends when I'm in a foreign country.

So a quid is basically a pound then?

Thank you though for the advice! This will all be really helpful to remember! I'll definitely be sure to keep the UK/Britain differences in mind!

New Frontiersman

Feb 2, 2010
mgirl said:
SsilverR said:
Lolwut?

I have never seen a can of coke for more than £1, maybe its a bit more in london but £3 seems like a slight exaggeration to me.

Also, OP, a 'quid' is slang for a pound.
Thank you! That clears it up for me!

Lethos

Dec 9, 2010
I just finished my first year of uni where two of my flat mates were from the States. I don't know where this perception comes from, but both my American flat mates, and all of their American friends, thought that we didn't tip in the UK. We do tip in the UK (standard is 10%), so don't make that mistake unless you want everyone to think your stingy.

Other than that, I would say that the UK is like any other place. There is good places, bad places, good people, bad people. Just stick to the good and I'm sure you'll enjoy our wet little islands.

Super Kami Guru

Aug 10, 2011
New Frontiersman said:
1 quid is exactly 1 pound, they're the same thing, a quid is just slang. You'll need to watch out for the quite a bit a actually, we're not all a bunch of cockney's climbing the apples and pears and moaning about our trouble and strife, but a fag is more commonly a cigarette (though we do also use it in the derogatory way), so when someone says they're going out for a fag, they aren't going for some bum fun. :p

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
Super Kami Guru said:
New Frontiersman said:
1 quid is exactly 1 pound, they're the same thing, a quid is just slang. You'll need to watch out for the quite a bit a actually, we're not all a bunch of cockney's climbing the apples and pears and moaning about our trouble and strife, but a fag is more commonly a cigarette (though we do also use it in the derogatory way), so when someone says they're going out for a fag, they aren't going for some bum fun. :p
Unless, of course, they are going to Hampstead Heath. Brighton is known as the gay capital of the UK, so do not make homophobic comments. I once saw a guy make a crass comment in bar in Brighton and got taken out by a proper uppercut from a 5'5 lesbian.

HerefordEscapistMan

Sep 24, 2010
New Frontiersman said:
I know of a place called Hereford in the US, it's a tiny backwater town in Texas. I had a friend who lived there for a couple years.
Funny thing about hereford in Texas; They too have the Hereford Bull breed that originated in Hereford, England, they must of bred the breed of bull in the US and then named the city after the Bull (no idea if that is true).

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
albino boo said:
The UK in general is dripping with history and you can't move without bumping into something thats old by US standards (I live in house that is older than the US and about 20% of houses where I live are as well).
LOL... couldn't help but think of this exchange:

Tourist - This place is amazing! Is it pre-war?
Porter - Madam, this place is pre-America!

Anyway... what this guy said... hell, there's a little bit of history in Brighton as well, mainly around the pier and the train station, but it's not that interesting all told. So yes, it's just a quick train-journey up to London (Victoria), so you can either stay in that area (go to Kensington/Hyde Park which is where some of the most famous museums are) or venture northwest a bit and that's where the culture is pretty much heaving in London.

New Frontiersman said:
Okay, first question: How much is a quid? Is that more or less than a pound and can you tell me how it relates to the US dollar?
'Quid' is the colloquial word for 'pound sterling' so one quid is £1.

Still, as far as University of Sussex is concerned (graduate here...), you'll be on the bus a lot if you want to see stuff, because the campus is quite removed from Brighton itself (it's a half-hour walk from the outskirts of town in a dinky hamlet called Falmer... hell, I think the campus is about twice the size of the hamlet). Travel connections are pretty damned good, since there are a good few bus routes that specifically cater to the 'student run' during term time, and since there tend to be quite a few PG's around, they still run during the summer. Also, Falmer train station is literally right across the road (underpass) from the campus' main vehicle entrance, though tickets into Brighton (that's how far apart they are) can be a bit on the steep side for being just 3 stops (£2.60 last time I traveled in that part of the world).

Bus-wise, I think it's the 18 (can't remember, sorry), but take that and it'll take you right into the town centre and there're a few places there for shopping etc. and walk in pretty much any direction for 15 mins tops and you'll stumble on a club/pub/bar.

Griffolion

Elite Member
Aug 18, 2009
New Frontiersman said:
A number of things to remember:

-Things are expensive.
-Southern people are generally miserable, I'm sorry you aren't coming to the north.
-Brighton is the gay capital of England, leave your homophobia at the airport.
-You don't need to tip, since we actually have laws protecting workers in this country. But if they are very good, do so anyway.
-If you call it "Soccer", your safety may not be guaranteed.
-If you say that your Football is like our rugby, your safety may not be guaranteed. The only comparison to be made is this:
-If you make friends and go to the pub, expect to be expected to buy a round. You will also receive a round off every member of the party.
-"Mate" is a term of endearment, and in no way an indication of your sexual status with that person.
-Our police aren't armed, our culture is not gun-centric. If you're into shooting, prepare yourself for major withdrawal.
-Do come and visit the north, such as Manchester. The people are just better.
-2 hours is a long time to travel, for us.
-Asking for chips will get you what you call "fries". What you want to say is "crisps".
-Asking for fries will get you French Fries.
-Be sure to have fish and chips while you're over, but only in the north, where they are done properly.
-As a people, we will treat you, an outsider, stand-offishly at first. But eventually you will be accepted.
-If you're a loud talker, please just turn it down a notch or two.
-If you greet someone cheerfully, you will be treat with suspicion.

More to follow as I think of them.

HerefordEscapistMan

Sep 24, 2010
Griffolion said:
-The bit about Southerners being miserable-
We aren't that miserable, we're alright! Ha.
Plus we have the best football(soccer to 'mericans, which is wrong by the way... Sorry I am bitter) team ever...

HEREFORD UNITED!!...

xD

Griffolion

Elite Member
Aug 18, 2009
HerefordEscapistMan said:
Griffolion said:
-The bit about Southerners being miserable-
We aren't that miserable, we're alright! Ha.
Plus we have the best football(soccer to 'mericans, which is wrong by the way... Sorry I am bitter) team ever...

HEREFORD UNITED!!...

xD
I'm sensing that you're really loyal to a town in England. I just cant put my finger on it...