Tired of Playing Humans

Count_de_Monet

Nov 21, 2007
How about something like an Alien (as in the movies)? You start the game as a little dude just popped out of someone's chest and your goal is to wreak as much havoc as possible in some free-roaming environment like a city or ginormous space ship. The game could even react such that if you don't hide your kills in, say, the sewer your reign of terror will be discovered and eventually you will be hunted by varying degrees of human adversaries beginning with the police and possibly ending with a predator.

Kill some dudes, get bigger, kill more dudes, decide if you want to be sneaky or incur the wrath of local law enforcement, etc.

felltablet

Nov 12, 2007
The AVP series did this, exactly what the above poster (Count_de_Monet) describes.
It was unpolished, had piss poor level design, and an over-used/unstimulating story.

Yet... it was different. It was fun.

While, yes, a third of the game you played as the marine and endured the same tired gameplay found in every other average product, the alien/predator sections were some of the best gaming experiences in a very flawed game. The game held the idea that: Humans are boring, lets just kill them.

Parallel Streaks

Jan 16, 2008
I would like a fully customisable monster kind of game, that's why I'm looking forward to that blessed game Spore.

reutermo

Jan 23, 2008
I understand how you feel.

My tips is to play "The Witcher", there you are... a Witcher (doh!). It is a really intresting game when the most of the NPC treat you like a monster. Try to find it, it is one of the best RPG of 07!

Ros Lai

Dec 14, 2007
Personally, I'd just love the opportunity to roll Krogan/Turian/Quarian in Mass Effect. I'm okay with being human, but Bioware knows how to make some neat races.

DeathWyrmNexus

Jan 5, 2008
Oh yes, I was the person who posted the Mutantion: Reign of Terror thread idea. Destroy All Humans was pretty damn fun and I hope the next one doesn't have the awful glitches of the first two.

And I heard that Jaws Unleashed was pretty awful. The idea annoyed me cuz there is only so much you can do with a shark in the ocean. In a city, plenty of trouble to make.

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
Sometimes I get bored with playing humans too; one of the reasons I chose an "Elite" model in Halo 2 and 3. It may also be one of the reasons I enjoyed playing the title character of Stubbs the Zombie so much (Come to think of it, Andrew Monday... Andrew Ryan... hmmm....) and why I played so many non-human races in games like Dawn of War and Masters of Orion.

edited to add You may want to check out "Stubbs", as it has some of the gameplay you describe in the "mutants" game thread. It's not completely free-roaming (the maps go in sequence, though you can do a lot of roaming on each map) and you don't get to tailor your character, but rampaging through a Disneyland knock-off and eating the brains of citizens/visitors/National Guardsmen is at least part way there.

-- Steve

Nov 15, 2007
Shadow Skill mentioned earlier in the thread the idea of being a lion, or tiger, which I thought was a pretty cool idea. Then I saw this video of Farcry 2 over at Kotaku.

http://kotaku.com/348017/far-cry-2-a-triumph-of-zebra-rendering

After watching that the idea of being a killer lion stalking the savanna become much more appealing. Ever watched The Ghost and the Darkness? Two player cooperative villager hunting!

Deatre

Dec 5, 2007
The Irrelevant Gamer said:
I'd like to see a free roaming game that lets you play as a dragon.
Actually, I think I recall an MMORPG that let you play as a Dragon character, Horizons was it?

Eudaemonian

Executor
Jan 22, 2008
To be honest, I always play humans. 9 out of 10 of my characters are human, even when given other options. It's just a personal preference.

As to the idea of games based on non-human protagonists... I'm leery to encourage that. Frankly, when game developers have difficulty making a compelling experience with a race and set of emotions and expectations that we all understand, I'm loathe to encourage them to try something harder.

It seems like just another thing (much like shiny graphics or gimmicky tie-ins) to distract from an empty core of actual gameplay.

runtheplacered

Oct 31, 2007
Crashtestretard said:
I recently thought of an idea for a game. It was a hunting sim but your not the hunter your the deer!
Do you just sit there, completely oblivious, until suddenly BAM... you're dead?

DeathWyrmNexus

Jan 5, 2008
runtheplacered said:
Crashtestretard said:
I recently thought of an idea for a game. It was a hunting sim but your not the hunter your the deer!
Do you just sit there, completely oblivious, until suddenly BAM... you're dead?
Dude, that would be hilarious to see leaderboards on.

"This guy is totally Bullet fodder!!! I envy his ability to take it and run!!!"

ChrisP.Lettuce

Jan 3, 2008
Crashtestretard said:
Actually, switch "deer" to "bear" and I think you would have a fairly interesting stalking game, where both of the parties think they are the hunter.

DeathWyrmNexus

Jan 5, 2008
ChrisP.Lettuce said:
Crashtestretard said:
Actually, switch "deer" to "bear" and I think you would have a fairly interesting stalking game, where both of the parties think they are the hunter.
Could be cool.

The Negotiator

Dec 26, 2007
DeathWyrmNexus said:
ChrisP.Lettuce said:
Crashtestretard said:
Could be cool.
Actually, have a variaty choice starting with a killer rabbit( LOLOLOLOLOLOL )!!!

sapient

Jan 23, 2008
I loved Necrid from SC2, that Nexus thingy has potential. Shame he didn't get any build on him.