Titan Likely Cost Blizzard More Than $50 Million

seditary

Aug 17, 2008
Oh Pachter, you don't even have any idea about an incredibly surface level analysis like this.

Just go away please.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
AstaresPanda said:
I think they just dont want to admit just how much of a fluke WoW was in some respects
Maybe you feel asleep over the past few years when Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3 released.

james.sponge

Mar 4, 2013
I believe this is something they could afford, you can criticise Blizz for some of their decisions in the past few years but they seem to know how to stay profitable in this day and age ;)

crepesack

May 20, 2008
Imagine if they put all that money and man hours to updating the WoW engine. It would truly become an eternal game then.

Silverbane7

Jul 1, 2012
well for me, the original res evil were the first *mature* games i played. by that i mean, they were tie first games i had played where there was gore or bloody violence.
i was brought up on 1960-1970 scifi. things like dr who, original star trek and blakes 7. so the storyline wasnt actualy that bad for me. i was used to groan level stuff.

i think the problem was that capcom saw the popularity of FPS games in general and someone had that thought that goes 'hey, if it worked for it might help make our game more appealing to the mainstream. we both have guns, right?'
course that does not work when the main audience for your game does not want to be a fps game.
and the mainstream does not actualy *like* your style of game to begin with. sometimes it actualy IS better to stick with the customers you know. at least as they get older, their spending power grows.

i did enjoy res 4 but thats as far as my enjoyment went. res 5 was 10 mins (including the start cutscenes) and then i was duely murdered in my tracks by the chainsaw guy. and since i couldnt take my save anywhere (without the system itself) there was no point trying to get someone to help me past that point. i guess maybe i should consider trading it? nah, its not worth trading unless it goes with the console as the 'look there is a game with it' sort of thing. i never even thought of touching res 6

i think the old games sold because we used to think that difficulty and punishment meant the same thing back then. you got better, or you found a walkthru on gamefaqs.

Taunta

Dec 17, 2010
Man, I know pulling the plug must be hard, especially after years and millions of dollars, that project is your baby. But I kind of really respect Blizzard for this decision; it shows they know when to quit, instead of a shipping a game that you know isn't going to meet expectations. To be honest I don't think anything can one-up WoW until WoW dies, not even another Blizzard MMO.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Oh man, they're refocusing on smaller successful titles? This could be great news...

Can you imagine $50-$100 million spent on those smaller games instead? Dozens of fun smaller titles with reasonable financial support? Yes, yes please.

Silverbane7

Jul 1, 2012
thats the problem tho.
blizzard (and other mmo makers too) seem to be unable to be satisfied with anything less than a 'wow killer' and there in lies the problem.

they wont consider making 'farmers-MMO' and 'FPS-space-MMO' and 'Fantasy-lifestyle-MMO' for niche audiences, because they are all obbsessed with making 'wow-killer-MMO' instead.
untill someone (and that someone does not have to be a major player, just someone smart enough to avoid the shareholder-says issue.and someone other than EVE, because everyone knows EVE is niche but no one in the biz will admit that there are other niches to exploit, appart from 'casual' titals like king makes) actualy steps up and says
'you know what? there are LOADS of players we can expliot, ah i mean cater to....if we stop looking to make max-wow-killer-500, and instead focus on other niche users. hardcore permadeath fanatics. hardcore roleplayers. lovecraftian horror fans. you name it, if we can find a community willing to play it (and buy it. dont have to be buy to sub, or even free2pay lol) we should make it'

at least that way, some of us would get a game we can call home lol. and smaller niche markets are easier to work with. provided you also realise that you need to stick to the original group. its no good making a racecar apocalipse game about prisoners racing for their freedom and then, someone starts yelling in the forums that they want a farming sim thrown in. a gambling pvp fight pit maybe but you know what i mean. too often someone outside the niche comes along and wants what THEY prefer adding into a game that they like for a little part of it. like shoehorning in PvP to a PvE game because a few want it in every game ever now. and dont be scared to make a game that has no pvp or has no pve. just make sure to advertise exactly what is and isnt ever going to be in it. dont add in pvp afterwards to please the hardcore, or pvp-free islands just to please the peace players. stick to what you say, becasue that niche audience will prefer you for it.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
AstaresPanda said:
dragongit said:
And yet Bungie still has yet to explain exactly where all 500 million of their development went into Destiny... I'd really like to know.
Marketing. Not much of a game to justify 500 fucking mill. I would still like to know if SC:GHOST was ever going to see the light of day, i mean they had gameplay and trailers and then nothing. I think they just dont want to admit just how much of a fluke WoW was in some respects
What do you mean? They stated Ghost was cancelled not too many years after development began. It didn't just quietly die, they were pretty clear that they cancelled it as I recall.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
That sucks... but oh well, it is better to not have it and dream of what it could have been, rather than have it and realise just how bad it could have been.

Though, Im curious... was there any information about what titan was suppose to be? while it sucks they closed it down, could they release a peek at what they were planning? If anything, thats the one thing Im truly curious for and was looking foward to.

Greymanelor

May 6, 2013
As someone who isn't into MMOs, a game I'd have never played anyway not coming out doesn't disappoint me. I do feel bad for the developers who put in all the man-hours for it though. I don't doubt they were at least trying their best to make a fun game, so having it openly stated by Blizzard that it flat-out wasn't must sting. There are a lot of talented people in Blizzard, so I hope they go on to make something that passes muster.

AstaresPanda

Nov 5, 2009
WhiteTigerShiro said:
AstaresPanda said:
I think they just dont want to admit just how much of a fluke WoW was in some respects
Maybe you feel asleep over the past few years when Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3 released.
Are you sleeping ? Blizz was not known for anything else other then warcarft (RTS) and starcraft(RTS) and diablo. And WoW being their FIRST MMO and it was a HUGE success to me thats kinda lucky considering how it blew up.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
AstaresPanda said:
WhiteTigerShiro said:
AstaresPanda said:
Are you sleeping ? Blizz was not known for anything else other then warcarft (RTS) and starcraft(RTS) and diablo. And WoW being their FIRST MMO and it was a HUGE success to me thats kinda lucky considering how it blew up.
I guess I just don't consider "studio that's known for releasing top-notch games releases a game that does amazingly well" to be the story of a fluke.

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
WanderingFool said:
That sucks... but oh well, it is better to not have it and dream of what it could have been, rather than have it and realise just how bad it could have been.

Though, Im curious... was there any information about what titan was suppose to be? while it sucks they closed it down, could they release a peek at what they were planning? If anything, thats the one thing Im truly curious for and was looking foward to.
Probably nothing. What little we've gotten is waffling around and shuffling around of people. Chances are the most the have is scrapped concept art for a thousand different games because they didn't even know what kind of game they wanted to make.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Oh noes. The world was deprived of another amazing grindfest.
They cited the game as being "unfun" but I can't fathom why.

Everyone loves grinding. It's the most fun thing ever. WoW proves it. I mean, WoW has the biggest sub numbers EVER.
And as we all know, revenue numbers translate directly into quality fun.

(yes, I'm being extremely sarcastic)

Esmeralda Portillo

Jun 16, 2014
Mortis Nuncius said:
Mezahmay said:
Also, does the news post say it was posted December 31, 1969?
With The Escapist's new time-travel technology, contributors can get the information out before they even have the technology to do so. It's all part of their strategy to be the first in breaking news.
And I was able to write it before I was even born. Games press is no joke.

Symbio Joe

Dec 7, 2010
"[...]The market is just not in a place where you can have games with 7+ year development. It is changing too fast."

This is the sadest and most worrying part of the hole statement. As it probably become an excuse "If Blizzard can't do it no one can!" let's rush out more generic games. Even more eyes on Valve (Half Life left 4 Dead Fortress X) now then before.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
shintakie10 said:
WanderingFool said:

Probably nothing. What little we've gotten is waffling around and shuffling around of people. Chances are the most the have is scrapped concept art for a thousand different games because they didn't even know what kind of game they wanted to make.
Oh, well shit. Its a good thing that they pulled the plug then.

May 29, 2011
Thats not a huge money drain for such a big company. Its 50 ish million over 7 years.

They probably made back that money in the last year of Heartstone, that game has blown up to a ridiculous degree. 20 million fucking accounts, jesus. I spent a hundred bucks on that game and if the average player spent less then 50 Id be surprised.