Titanfall Beta thoughts.

thatonedude11

Mar 6, 2011
Vigormortis said:
BakedSardine said:
I haven't played it, but impressions seem pretty positive. Anyone have issues with everyone using the Smart Pistol? From what I've read, that weapon essentially makes all the other weapons useless because it's almost an auto kill.
Anyone telling you the Smart Pistol is "overpowered" and makes all other weapons useless is either someone that hasn't had much, if any, time with the game or a liar.
While I don't think it is overpowered per say, every death because of the smart pistol feels cheap and undeserved. It is just plain not fun to play against, even if it isn't a very good weapon.

OT: I'm overall having a boatload of fun with the Titanfall beta, and I'll summarize my thoughts in easy-to read bullet-point form!

- 6v6 is just about the perfect number of players for this game. Any more and there would be too many damn titans on the map, and running around as a pilot would be very difficult. The only way they could make the number of players bigger would be to make the maps larger, or not let everyone have a titan. Both of those choices I feel would make the game worse.

- The weapon balance doesn't feel there yet. From my personal experience, the 40mm launcher is by far the best titan weapon, and I have had way more success with the shotgun than with any other anti-personnel weapon. This might just be me though, so take that as you will.

- Respawn, please give us player-hosted dedicated servers on the PC. That would just be a nice thing to do, you know. Also, text chat would be appreciated. Neither of these things are a deal-breaker for me personally, but I would really like these features.

- The game runs pretty well on my PC, could be better if I bothered to turn some settings down. Then again it is a source game, so that's to be expected.

- The A.I. characters, while very easy to take down, do a good job at fleshing out the battlefield and making everything more intense. Battlefields would be a lot more boring without them, especially at the beginning of a match before the titans start coming in.

- It takes way too long to unlock weapon attachments and sights, and until then, your weapons are pretty boring. I'm also worried that some guns will be practically useless until you unlock some stuff for them, which would just suck.

- The game is oozing, atmosphere, from the grunts shouting things to each other, to the dropships flying overhead, to the com chatter, the game world really feels alive and hectic.

- I'm really concerned about potential DLC for the game. DLC ruined Battlefield 3 for me, and I'm worried it will do the same for Titanfall. Hopefully it won't, but I'm not buying the game until they talk about their plans for the DLC are.

Overall though, the game is insanely fun and intense, and I am definitely considering picking it up once it comes out.

electric method

Jul 20, 2010
Vigormortis said:
BakedSardine said:
I haven't played it, but impressions seem pretty positive. Anyone have issues with everyone using the Smart Pistol? From what I've read, that weapon essentially makes all the other weapons useless because it's almost an auto kill.
Anyone telling you the Smart Pistol is "overpowered" and makes all other weapons useless is either someone that hasn't had much, if any, time with the game or a liar.

At best, the Smart Pistol is a marginal improvement on the basic pistol filling the secondary slot. The time it takes to get the full three-point lock on a Pilot makes it all but pointless in Pilot-v-Pilot fights.

There's no doubt it's great for taking out packs of Grunts, which in turn can get you to your Titan fast, but in most other cases, it's at the bottom of the "usefulness" ladder.

In fact, I'd go so far as to say the basic, starting assault rifle is the only "OP" weapon in the beta. It's damage, accuracy, rate of fire (even while hip-firing), and range allow it to outclass every other Pilot weapon. The number of times I've been sniped from halfway across the map with that thing VASTLY outnumbers the times I've been killed by a Smart Pistol.

Besides, by the time you get the tri-lock on a Pilot you'll either already be dead from the person you're aiming at or by someone else near by. You'd be better off just popping your target with a few rounds from any of the other weapons.

How anyone can claim the Smart Pistol is "OP" after actually playing the beta is beyond me...
Perhaps you forgot that when you edit a quote then remove said edit it still shows who you quoted what you actually said. Yes I've played the Beta, Yes the smart pistol is a piece of crap weapon that does not need to exist in any shape or form. Yes, It absolutely wrecks packs of grunts. 4 Grunts, got a smart pistol? No problem. They are all dead in the blink of eye. Add the mod that speeds up targeting (and bc the game *doesn't* tell pilots they've been targeted by it) and it's a close range monster. Yes it will lost cqb battles to a smg user, but that is only because of the smg's obnoxious rate of fire, that can be modded to make it spew out even more! But wait, there is more op'ed crap to come... Burn Cards that allow someone to literally remove the entire build time of their titan, get a primary weapon that is "amped" and can literally outclass every pilot weapon. That Amped R-101c is why you are getting nuked from across map, or perhaps it was the Amped Krager Sniper Rifle with AP rounds.

You are correct in semi-assuming (then editing out) the fact that I don't care much for Titanfall. There is a reason why I've been harsh on it; Because it does not deserve praise; It's average to mediocre at best. I swear people are only on this thing as hard as they are, gargling Respawn's every word and action like a pack of $2 hookers, because of how Zampella and West got done by Activision. Fuck, those two have rode the "We got screwed by Activision and lost our studio and billion dollar a year mediocre franchise we created" card for so long now it's like their fucking mantra. Doesn't it shock you that not a single games journalist has been openly critical about this game? Doesn't it make someone wonder that not a single outlet has even mentioned the rather bad framerate issues this game has on the xbox1? Seriously, you accuse me of not even playing the game, watching some let's plays etc then making wild guesses, then edit that out of your post. Right... This is the type of craptastic personal attack based on blind defense of a game just because someone else doesn't share your opinion.

karloss01

Jul 5, 2009
Andy Shandy said:
My only problem (whilst also a big strength of it) is that it is very frantic. You're practically never still. And while that makes for a good time whilst playing, it can also be a bit "mentally exhausting" to be over-dramatic.
That's what I like about Titanfall, it feels old school with a new school spin on it; like the good old days of Unreal 2004 and back.

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
BakedSardine said:
I can't speak for consoles, but on the pc not so much. I personally really like to use the shotgun. When i am not in a titan i am nearly always running around in buildings, so the shotgun is perfect.
The auto lock and high damage from the smart pistol is nice, but half a second lock on is just way too slow, when you have a mouse to aim.

Riff Moonraker

Mar 18, 2010
I have been playing all weekend, and I have to say that I am very impressed with the gameplay. It is fast, fun, frantic, and leaves you panting and wanting more. It is ripe for strategy, stealth, head-on combat, or however else you might want to play. It isnt without its concerns, though, and I am hoping that when the full game comes out that they will be addressed and I will have nothing to fret about. But with the lack of a single player campaign, I truly hope they find someway to at least merge some kind of story into the game, because I would think they would want you to become more invested in this world, and its characters. Without anything at all, I am concerned you will lose something. Also, if they dont have any kind of campaign to speak of, then this game should have the most impressive customization that you have ever seen in a game, EVER. Granted, its only the beta, so you should only be getting a taste... and thats what I am hoping for. If the customization isnt TREMENDOUSLY bigger than what we got in the beta, then I might very well be disappointed, and I truly hope that doesnt happen.

Jangles

Mar 12, 2010
I signed up for the Beta even though I thought the game would be CoD rip off crap.

I am glad to admit that I really enjoyed the beta, even on my crap computer playing at min settings and still lagging. I just hope the customization options keep up with the frantic pace of play.

Also, I feel that they are doing a good job of balancing playing on foot and as a titan. It's not at all like the frustration of encountering an armoured vehicle in BF3/BF4 and not being an engineer, then switching to engineer and suddenly there are no more armoured vehicles around.

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
I'm enjoying it so far but I do have my problems with the game.

-Smart pistols are the most stupid fucking thing ever. A gun that auto aims as long as you keep it pointed in somewhat the same direction? Just stupid.

-Stealth lasts a bit too long in my opinion and as others have said, the camping in corners in stealth with a smart pistol really just puts me in a bad mood.

-AI are dumb as rocks. No two ways about it. Just there to get some easy points but having to kill AI to gain attachments for your guns is not a good idea in my opinion.

Aside from all that, it plays like a call of duty game and the mech combat is pretty fun. Definitely not buying it at release though. Will wait for a sale of some sort before I get it. Fun but not $60 fun.

Yuuki

Mar 19, 2013
As a PC player here are my initial impressions about Titanfall demo (it's not a beta, really):

The good stuff:
1) Movement system is very good, a bit like Crysis 3 except there is even more vertical scaling with wallrunning and double-jumping.
2) FoV can be adjusted up to 90. Thank fucking god, it's literally the only thing keeping me from saying this was a 100% console port.
3) Titan vs Titan combat can get pretty strategic.

The bad stuff:
1) No Oceanic servers for Aus/NZ players. Getting grouped with <50ms US players while being at 150-200ms = strange hit registration and deaths (expected). Aus/NZ customers who are buying this game assuming it will be like other PC online shooters (local servers/etc) are going to cause an uproar.
2) No server browser. You are always playing with randoms with random pings.
3) No custom or private servers
4) No text chat, which further cements the idea that you are basically a nobody who will never be able to communicate with anybody. No I shouldn't have to use voice chat.
5) Locked to 60 fps. Inexcusable because I know that Source engine can run at virtually any framerate. My 120hz monitor was bought for the express purpose of playing fast-paced games like this one.
6) AI are too distracting and serve little purpose. Since all AI are shaped like humanoids and this is a twitch-based shooter, most of the time I kill an "enemy" only to realize I'm killing AI.
7) SMART pistol is fucking stupid. Why, just why? Recoil-less guns further reinforce that this was really aimed at consoles.
8) Gameplay feels strangely repetitive and unrewarding after a while. I'll leave it down to being a limited demo. Will wait for other people's impressions on the full release.

Overall I get the impression that Titanfall is very much a console game that PC players were "lucky" enough to get a semi-decent port made out of. No surprises considering Respawn is aiming for the CoD demographic (90% console players).

Too many reasons for me not to buy this game. I'll only remotely consider it if problems #1 and #5 are addressed first (at the least), as it is what I require for a functional experience.

Sarah Kerrigan

Jan 17, 2010
From what i've played of it, I like it. I love a game with little details, and my favorite is when you launch a titan, you literally see your own screen shake and your character shake. And when the titan falls, it's pretty badass and you feel powerful being in a titan. The shooting is intense and the graphics look pretty good.

I might buy it, might not. It literally comes out after my birthday, so I might pick it up with birthday money.

Mar 26, 2008
It is FAST! In some ways it reminds me of Quake III: Arena in that it's just relentless, but for some reason I haven't got the "been there, done that" feeling from it. You wouldn't know it is 6 v 6 because there's always something going on. Someone mentioned that they saw a lot of campers, but I have to say I've seen the opposite. Most campers get ganked pretty quickly if they stay in the same position for too long.

I get the feeling Respawn are tweaking it on the fly because I've played it over the course of five days and you start to notice subtle changes. For one the Grunts have gone from being absolutely useless to next to useless. I saw one kick a human player to death last night. First time ever. Also, it seems to play a lot smoother as time has gone by, and this is amazing considering my one bar of connection wi-fi.

Yuuki said:
The bad stuff:
1) No Oceanic servers for Aus/NZ players. Getting grouped with <50ms US players while being at 150-200ms = strange hit registration and deaths (expected). Aus/NZ customers who are buying this game assuming it will be like other PC online shooters (local servers/etc) are going to cause an uproar.
I wonder if that's a PC thing because on the Xbox One I was playing against all Aussies and the server popped up as "Asia" in the bottom right corner for a brief moment. Wish you could browse for servers thought.

austerus

Feb 20, 2014
electric method said:
Yes I've played the Beta, Yes the smart pistol is a piece of crap weapon that does not need to exist in any shape or form. Yes, It absolutely wrecks packs of grunts. 4 Grunts, got a smart pistol? No problem. They are all dead in the blink of eye. Add the mod that speeds up targeting (and bc the game *doesn't* tell pilots they've been targeted by it) and it's a close range monster. Yes it will lost cqb battles to a smg user, but that is only because of the smg's obnoxious rate of fire...
Yeah, that's what balance means. Another weapon has a quality that can cancel out the other when properly used. Every weapon needs to have ups and downs to get a balance which is practically done here.

The pistol isn't a close range monster at any time. If you get killed by it, you deserve it because you spent time moving so slow as to allow the user a chance to target you enough for a kill shot or you spend too much time in a place without looking around. That's not the gun's fault, it's your own. I don't see why the game should compensate for your carelessness.

Either the SMG or the shotgun are better weapons when you play the game at the dynamic rate (you know, running, jumping, hanging all the time, etc) the game was intended to be played at. The pistol is there to give a chance to static players but it's mostly effective against grunts and other static players. Which is fine by me.

Yes, I do think it needs more of a recoil, but the auto targeting that takes up a few seconds (about 3 with enhancement) isn't OP at all. If you spend that much time lingering in the open, you deserve it.

electric method

Jul 20, 2010
austerus said:
electric method said:
Yes I've played the Beta, Yes the smart pistol is a piece of crap weapon that does not need to exist in any shape or form. Yes, It absolutely wrecks packs of grunts. 4 Grunts, got a smart pistol? No problem. They are all dead in the blink of eye. Add the mod that speeds up targeting (and bc the game *doesn't* tell pilots they've been targeted by it) and it's a close range monster. Yes it will lost cqb battles to a smg user, but that is only because of the smg's obnoxious rate of fire...
Yeah, that's what balance means. Another weapon has a quality that can cancel out the other when properly used. Every weapon needs to have ups and downs to get a balance which is practically done here.

The pistol isn't a close range monster at any time. If you get killed by it, you deserve it because you spent time moving so slow as to allow the user a chance to target you enough for a kill shot or you spend too much time in a place without looking around. That's not the gun's fault, it's your own. I don't see why the game should compensate for your carelessness.

Either the SMG or the shotgun are better weapons when you play the game at the dynamic rate (you know, running, jumping, hanging all the time, etc) the game was intended to be played at. The pistol is there to give a chance to static players but it's mostly effective against grunts and other static players. Which is fine by me.

Yes, I do think it needs more of a recoil, but the auto targeting that takes up a few seconds (about 3 with enhancement) isn't OP at all. If you spend that much time lingering in the open, you deserve it.
Ugh, It is OP and not balanced. No, I didn't linger out in the open and get killed a lot by smart pistol as implied. Actually I found Titanfall to be insanely easy as a game. I ended the beta with an almost 6.0 k/d overall and 3.1 k/d against pilots; namely because I *didn't* play statically.

Here is the thing about the Smart Pistol and other weapons... they can be abused to all hell by the players with ease. Here's a fun fact... there is a burn card that allows a pilot to use both Cloak and Stim at the same time. The stim part is unlimited. Pair that with a smart pistol or EVA-8 shotgun and you have someone that is going to destroy literally everyone else on the field. What the hell is balanced about a person that has an unlimited faster base movement speed and cloak paired with a smart pistol? Or how about the burn card that makes so there is NO build time on a titan? Yeah that's right start a match with a Titan right off spawn. That is not balanced. Balance isn't just making a weapon have some downsides and then claiming it's balanced. No, it's actually balancing the weapon against others in the sandbox. Respawn, even when they were Infinity Ward, have never made a game where the weapons, perks, and sandbox were balanced. Titanfall just takes those years of unbalanced multiplayer and multiplies it by a factor of 10 or so.

As I said in another thread, people need to understand this fact; A game can be both fun and mediocre. Titanfall is both fun *and* mediocre at the same time. Hell, Respawn built a franchise around that fact before (CoD anyone?) and has now done so again. I can tell you that on Respawn's forums there have already been a large number of threads decrying the Smart Pistol and how Op it is. You can be damned sure there will be thousands more after launch as well because the weapon is literally meant for a single player experience not a multiplayer one. More threads will pop up about burn cards and how broken they are as well as the dumb as bricks bots that are nothing but cannon fodder. Balanced? Yeah, no.