Titanfall Developer: "Framerate Is King"

Cognimancer

Imperial Intelligence
Jun 13, 2012
Titanfall Developer: "Framerate Is King"

Titanfall is focusing on fun gameplay and solid performance, and according to the developers, any flashy effects that would jeopardize those values aren't worth the risk.

Titanfall is quickly shaping up to be the next-gen shooter to watch out for [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/previews/10433-Preview-Titanfall-Has-Two-Different-Levels-of-Play]. Made by some of the creators of Call of Duty, its blend of highly mobile jetpacks and heavily armed mechs creates a compelling battlefield - even though the game itself is built on somewhat old-school technology. Respawn Entertainment's Drew McCoy recently explained how Titanfall makes the most of the nine year old Source Engine, and why he prioritizes performance over cutting-edge effects.

The Source Engine may be the foundation that Titanfall is built upon, but Respawn's engineers have made some liberal changes to the way it works. According to McCoy the overhaul was essential to make the engine fit with a game like Titanfall, which is incredibly different from Valve's titles, computationally speaking. "It's actually a pretty slow engine for showing stuff on screen," he explains. "What we have in a level now would run in single digits on what it was before - if you could even get it to load at all. It's been a huge engineering task." The advantage, of course, is that Source comes with nearly a decade of refined tools and polish.

Don't let the single digits comment scare you, though - Respawn is investing the power of next-gen processing in relatively traditional graphical effects. The performance boost should be clear: no promises of 60 frames-per-second have been made just yet, but McCoy seems hopeful. "We'll see how performance goes," he says. "Framerate is king."

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-vs-respawn-the-titanfall-interview]

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
This game was made on the SOURCE engine? O_O

I would never of guessed. Particularly since this game is being published by EA.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
Not G. Ivingname said:

I would never of guessed. Particularly since this game is being published by EA.
People gotta realize just how robust that thing is.

Also, I wasn't very interested in this game at first but with mentioning that I am suddenly quite curious... is this even coming out on PC?

I don't like flashy visuals, I want to see the action.

seditary

Aug 17, 2008
Abomination said:
Not G. Ivingname said:

People gotta realize just how robust that thing is.

Also, I wasn't very interested in this game at first but with mentioning that I am suddenly quite curious... is this even coming out on PC?

I don't like flashy visuals, I want to see the action.
Yes its coming out on PC.

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
The thing that makes me want this game is that it's all about how EA isn't touching this game at all. Respawn Entertainment are on their own despite EA funding the damn thing.

chaosbedlam

Apr 15, 2009
The more I hear about this game the more I'm interested. I've been burnt too many times for me to buy this game opening day but you had better believe it going to be that week.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Yes, Framerate is king, till it reaches 30. for some really fast paced games 60 is slightly better (and is usually a good safezone agaisnt fps spikes as most games nowadays use shit for optimization). after that it is completely useless for multitude of facts mostly because majority of peoples monitors/TVs cant even show more than 60 images per second. In fact quite a few TVs do half-frame thing so in reality it really is only 30 frames per second. Of course new monitors go for 120hz and more sometimes, but thats only the expensive models and still rarely used by general public. so yeah, make your game run nicely at 30-60 FPS, from then on out, spend your effort into gameplay and AI, because those take a lot of processing power and are important.
Though i like thier way of saying "Gameplay > flashy visuals" and for this alone im willing to finally look into this game and decide whether its worth getting for PC i plan to get around new years time.

BUt then, source engine... ech i havent liked a single game i played with it.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
This is Infinity Ward making a Moderner Warfare game after all so that shouldn't be surprising.
But the Source engine part is pretty odd because I don't remember it scaling all that well, maybe they got their hands on an early Source 3 build, and then signing up with EA which would actually grant them "free" access to Frostbite... not really sure what their end game is in this.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Wait this is a Source engine game?

Any modern PC should breeze through the thing then.

Strazdas said:
Yes, Framerate is king, till it reaches 30. for some really fast paced games 60 is slightly better (and is usually a good safezone agaisnt fps spikes as most games nowadays use shit for optimization).
I would say 25 is the minimum playable rate provided it's rock steady at 25 and does not dip. I played the intro to Crysis 3, the benchmark run, with everything on max and got a solid 25 without a dip, and it was playable if animation was a touch choppy, thankfully it's much less intensive after that point. The game is rather poorly optimised imo anyway.

It's nice to have eveeerything going at 60 for the smooth experience though.

Strazdas

May 28, 2011
SkarKrow said:

Strazdas said:
Yes, Framerate is king, till it reaches 30. for some really fast paced games 60 is slightly better (and is usually a good safezone agaisnt fps spikes as most games nowadays use shit for optimization).
I would say 25 is the minimum playable rate provided it's rock steady at 25 and does not dip. I played the intro to Crysis 3, the benchmark run, with everything on max and got a solid 25 without a dip, and it was playable if animation was a touch choppy, thankfully it's much less intensive after that point. The game is rather poorly optimised imo anyway.

25 is the minimum rate if you have motion blur effect, yes. Our mind fills in the blanks. however i picked 30 for the reason of it being semi-standart in television. American television use 30 frames/second (while european uses 25), and it is also a half of 60 standart for monitor refresh rate. with 30 you could have the frame refresh every 2 refresh periods of monitor, and with 25 you would get inconsistent refresh timing as you need to change 25 times while refreshing 60 times, which is what many people notice and wrongly think is lag.
Crysis is actually pretty well optimized. my 8600m GT laptop ran first one on high without problems. not sure about 3 as i havent played that. though i noticed a tendency of "works great on novidia, works bad on radeon" with crytech (and a few other) developers.

exobook said:
Strazdas said:
heresy!

heresy!
Jumping a shark already or going to elaborate?

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Strazdas said:
SkarKrow said:

Strazdas said:

25 is the minimum rate if you have motion blur effect, yes. Our mind fills in the blanks. however i picked 30 for the reason of it being semi-standart in television. American television use 30 frames/second (while european uses 25), and it is also a half of 60 standart for monitor refresh rate. with 30 you could have the frame refresh every 2 refresh periods of monitor, and with 25 you would get inconsistent refresh timing as you need to change 25 times while refreshing 60 times, which is what many people notice and wrongly think is lag.
Crysis is actually pretty well optimized. my 8600m GT laptop ran first one on high without problems. not sure about 3 as i havent played that. though i noticed a tendency of "works great on novidia, works bad on radeon" with crytech (and a few other) developers.

exobook said:
Strazdas said:
heresy!

heresy!
Jumping a shark already or going to elaborate?
Nah I mean CRysis 3, it's given out some pretty bizarre benchmarks.

CRysis 1 played great on my old pentium dual core and a radeon 4770. About to bench it on my 4670K/GTX 670

xPixelatedx

Jan 19, 2011
Source Engine
Made by some of the creators of Call of Duty
I have to admit... this is going to be a really hard sale for me. It's going to take a lot of convincing that all three of those things aren't a huge detriment.

And before anyone jumps on me for the source engine comment: It is a good engine... I just don't think it's quite appropriate for next gen. Lots of those nifty effects they don't want to sacrifice frame-rate for? They might have been able to squeeze more of those in with a modern engine, rather then one made 9 years ago.

Arawn

Dec 18, 2003
How it looks will always come behind how it plays. Still from what I've seen aside from the concept Titan Fall looks to be a rather novel FPS. I just wonder how well the overall game will play out. If it has the goods I'm aiming for the PC version.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Didnt knew that it was the Source Engine, Valve really needs to step up a bit on their visuals if another studio using their engine can make a game with a lot better results.

ASnogarD

Jul 2, 2009
I am not convinced on the Source engine either, every Source engine game I have played seems to have issues with the netcode, simply put it feels like each hitscan weapon in a Source game seems to be loaded with blanks.
I suppose it could be on my side only but as I havent got this problem with other titles (like UT3, BFBC2, BF3, CoD:BO2, NS2) its not a case of I cant aim.

CS:S, DoD:S, L4D, CS:GS, TF2 ...every hitscan weapon just doesnt seem to hit half the time, empty a clip at a target less than 5 m in front out in the open and the target is unaware... target spins and 1 shots me and the game reports my clips worth of bullets hit once for scratch damage... burst firing, compensating for spread, messing with the settings.

Source games also seem to suffer heavily from choke, and are heavily CPU dependant... hell most of the titles seem to perform worse the better my PC got, I have been playing TF2 since beta and upgraded my PC several times since but the FPS drops and the choke got worse and even putting everything down to lowest settings doesnt do jack.
(FYI: My rig was decent and is still not a terrible gaming rig, still plays most titles at acceptable levels (AMD Phenom II x6 1090T 3.2 ghz, 8 gigs DDR3 1333 mhz ram, GTX 580, Win 8 Pro 64bit... my net connection isnt bad either , dl approx. 78Mbps up approx. 1.71 Mbps ping is about 50 - 60 ms to my preferred servers)

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
Strazdas said:
You'd be surprised. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Source_engine_games

Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines, Dark Messiah of Might and Magic, The Ship, Hybrid... why, even everyone's favourite, Postal III!

...yay!

Strazdas

May 28, 2011
Andy of Comix Inc said:
Strazdas said:
You'd be surprised. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Source_engine_games

Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines, Dark Messiah of Might and Magic, The Ship, Hybrid... why, even everyone's favourite, Postal III!

...yay!
You are right, i was suprised, DOTA 2 is running source. Not that i played it. The sentence still stands, i havent liked a single game i played with it. Not that i played most of those really. Quite a few i never even heard of.