Titanfall Developer: "Framerate Is King"

furai47

Nov 18, 2009
Quite impressive, though keeping in mind it's a _modified_ version of Source, it loses some of the wow factor.

I hope this means direct input. And if I can't achieve 120fps I'm gonna be pissed, sir McCoy.

Gammayun

Aug 23, 2011
Strazdas said:
Andy of Comix Inc said:
Strazdas said:
BUt then, source engine... ech i havent liked a single game i played with it.
You'd be surprised. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Source_engine_games

Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines, Dark Messiah of Might and Magic, The Ship, Hybrid... why, even everyone's favourite, Postal III!

...yay!
You are right, i was suprised, DOTA 2 is running source. Not that i played it. The sentence still stands, i havent liked a single game i played with it. Not that i played most of those really. Quite a few i never even heard of.
I'm surprised at that your surprised that DOTA 2 is running off the source engine. I mean DOTA 2 is made by valve who make the source engine, but I doubt Sherlock Holmes himself could make that connection. And that's still not a popular opinion to have round these parts, even if it true don't going round dissing portal or Half-life otherwise the hive-mind wont like that.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
With the diminishing returns of graphical fidelity rapidly creeping up on the industry, it only makes sense that upping the framerate from "passable" to "nice" is suddenly getting attention.

I wonder what it will be after that..

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
Strazdas said:
Andy of Comix Inc said:
Strazdas said:

Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines, Dark Messiah of Might and Magic, The Ship, Hybrid... why, even everyone's favourite, Postal III!

...yay!
You are right, i was suprised, DOTA 2 is running source. Not that i played it. The sentence still stands, i havent liked a single game i played with it. Not that i played most of those really. Quite a few i never even heard of.
My point is that Source is, itself, a game engine, same as any other engine. Many people associate Source with Valve's first-person shooters, which do all, for the most part, have similar movement physics, jumping physics, weapon physics, and... you know. Valve's games have basically been cut from the Half-Life 2 mould for the better half of a decade now. But Source is used for all kinds of games, it can be tweaked to do... well... anything other game engines can.

I understand there is, colloquially, a difference between "Source game" and "game that runs on Source," definitely. Just needs pointing out, sometimes, that just because an engine is so often used for similar products, that does not mean the engine isn't versatile.

cikame

Jun 11, 2008
I hate games which shove as many effects on screen as possible in order to look impressive, smart developers, usually Japanese like Platinum Games, will reign that stuff in with an aim to achieve high frame rates and a solid, clean look.

I know lots of people rag on at COD games, but each game did look better than the previous without sacrificing the quickest load times, fast controller response and clean anti-aliasing on the consoles and all at solid 60fps.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Gammayun said:
Strazdas said:
Andy of Comix Inc said:
Strazdas said:

...yay!
I'm surprised at that your surprised that DOTA 2 is running off the source engine. I mean DOTA 2 is made by valve who make the source engine, but I doubt Sherlock Holmes himself could make that connection. And that's still not a popular opinion to have round these parts, even if it true don't going round dissing portal or Half-life otherwise the hive-mind wont like that.
i never cared for DOTA and as such i didnt really look into it, though knowign that DOTA ran on WC3 engine i expected a similar engine instead. I never said it was some hard thing to find or anything, merely that i personally was surprised.
And i know full well it is not a popular opinion, but it is my opinion and i wont change it just because its not popular. And the hivemind flamewars are ntohing compared to couple other "Battles" i engaged in other threads, seems not wanting parental control on steam is even less popular opinion.

Andy of Comix Inc said:
My point is that Source is, itself, a game engine, same as any other engine. Many people associate Source with Valve's first-person shooters, which do all, for the most part, have similar movement physics, jumping physics, weapon physics, and... you know. Valve's games have basically been cut from the Half-Life 2 mould for the better half of a decade now. But Source is used for all kinds of games, it can be tweaked to do... well... anything other game engines can.

I understand there is, colloquially, a difference between "Source game" and "game that runs on Source," definitely. Just needs pointing out, sometimes, that just because an engine is so often used for similar products, that does not mean the engine isn't versatile.
I understand that. but the only other engine we really saw being "versatile" is unreal engine that just refuses to become obsolete. most engines are built with certain game style in mind and not much else, as doing a all purpose engine is of course harder. I am also not saying source engine cant be used for a good game, merely that i never played one like that.