Titanfall May Have Season Pass, Pilot-Only Mode

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Titanfall May Have Season Pass, Pilot-Only Mode

Respawn community manager Abbie Heppe says Titanfall may see a "Pilot-only" mode after release.

Earlier in the week, Respawn Entertainment head Vince Zampella EA did away with some time ago. [https://twitter.com/Titanfallgame/status/438795701900701697]

Heppe also hinted that while there are no current plans for a "Pilots-only" mode, the studio would see what happens after release. Pilots-only mode was requested by fans, as although the game is supposed to focus on the titan vs pilot dynamic, a lot of people enjoyed the "last titan standing" mode of the beta, and wondered why there wasn't a similar mode for just pilots.

Heppe said that she has nothing to announce regarding a season pass at the current time, but given that the game is a multiplayer shooter, some kind of map pack DLC seems to be an inevitability (unless, of course, Respawn is *shock horror* planning to offer free patches! Like they did in olden times!)

Titanfall launches March 11 for Xbox One and PC, with an Xbox 360 version to follow on March 25.

Source: Gamespot [http://www.gamespot.com/articles/titanfall-might-get-a-dlc-season-pass-pilot-only-mode-could-come-after-launch/1100-6418043/]

unstabLized

Mar 9, 2012
I'm okay with season passes as long as it actually brings more content then just $15 map packs. New titans, new guns, new maps, new modes, anything that spices up the game. Otherwise, no thanks.

Also, Pilot only mode? So CoD without killstreaks?

vagabondwillsmile

Aug 20, 2013
Pilot only mode sounds cool. Season pass does not. I suppose Respawn is passionate about their product and seeks to make their exo-game content worthwhile should they follow through(because they have a lot riding on the success of this game) - or at least that's what I would hope for those that would buy into the pass. Worthwhile or not, though, I would want to know what the product is before I shell out for it. I don't go to a restaurant, hand over some cash at the door, and tell the server to surprise me. I don't buy a mystery box of wrenches; I make sure they are the sizes I need. I don't go on blind dates. Why would I buy DLC without knowing what it is and if it is worth my money? As good as this particular season pass might be, my instinct still tells me not to make payment before I have the agency to inspect the good or service on offer - because I could bloody well get screwed over. It's overwhelmingly to the disadvantage of the consumer and I would like to see the practice stricken from the industry; but the more one-sided a practice is in favor of the party implementing it, the more persistant that party will be in perpetuating it. It doesn't matter how much faith I have in any developer/publisher or how much I like the games they make - I have to have more faith in my ability to inspect and choose.

Corralis

Nov 12, 2009
I'm worried that a pilot only mode would turn the game into nothing more than a battlefield/call of duty clone. We already have enough bog standard shooter's in the world without turning Titanfall into one as well.

FogHornG36

Jan 29, 2011
well only pilot mode would slow down the number of titans on the map at one time, or at least that is how i was lead to believe it works, were getting kills brings the titan in sooner. [someone correct me on this] So it would be cod, but the only kill streak would be titans.

Infernal Lawyer

Jan 28, 2013
Okay, I know I'm going to sound ignorant with this, but exactly since when did games charge money for bug-fixing patches? Unless we're talking about actual expansion packs or even the typical pointless extra crap DLC, I feel that I've missed something, and I'm not sure that's a bad thing. Or maybe "patch" just means update...

As for the actual topic, I'm not sure how well a pilot only mode would go, but then again I've never played Titanfall.
Corralis said:
I'm worried that a pilot only mode would turn the game into nothing more than a battlefield/call of duty clone. We already have enough bog standard shooter's in the world without turning Titanfall into one as well.
At worst it would be a Battlefield/Call of Duty clone with motherfucking jetpacks. Don't tell me that doesn't sound even remotely cool.
FogHornG36 said:
well only pilot mode would slow down the number of titans on the map at one time, or at least that is how i was lead to believe it works, were getting kills brings the titan in sooner. [someone correct me on this] So it would be cod, but the only kill streak would be titans.
I still don't get why people would want killstreaks in their game. If someone's already getting that many kills, the last thing they need is even more ways to pummel you.
Thank God TF2 doesn't have a killstreak mechanic...
(well, to be fair it kind of does, but it's far, far more subtle. And no, that video is NOT what happens in-game.)

Me55enger

Dec 16, 2008
Corralis said:
I'd like to argue that the merits the game has would transcend this should they release a pilot-only mode, but to be honest I'm not sure it would.

Maps are designed around Titan combat as much as Pilot. Last Titan Standing works because it's a large scale that can go to small scale should you eject. I struggle to imagine it with just the small scale here.

ASnogarD

Jul 2, 2009
The only real issue with a Pilot only mode is that it would basically let avoid the differences between say CoD and Titanfall, namely the actual Titans.

Ok, lets be brutally frank about this gamers fear changes (actually the vast majority of people do), the majority of the potential Titanfall fans will be from CoD or at least familiar with the series, and the fear here is that if the majority are happy playing CoD why would they bother with the 'Titan mode'... and Titanfall will become a CoD with parkour and burn cards instead of kill streaks.
Nothing wrong with CoD, but if I wanted to play CoD...err I would play CoD (Black Ops 2, to be more precise :p) but if the 'CoD mode' in Titanfall is more popular (because its more familiar and easier to get into), the 'Titanfall mode' will kind of die off and the message to the money bags is that players want more CoD and no attempts to change the formulae.

Cette

Legacy
Dec 16, 2011
Country
US
I think a lot of people here are massively underestimating how much of a difference the jetpacks and parkour make in differentiating this from COD.

Now mind you I feel like the titans should be in all the main game modes but if there's a titan only mode then why not a pilot only one?

Corralis

Nov 12, 2009
ASnogarD said:
The only real issue with a Pilot only mode is that it would basically let avoid the differences between say CoD and Titanfall, namely the actual Titans.

Ok, lets be brutally frank about this gamers fear changes (actually the vast majority of people do), the majority of the potential Titanfall fans will be from CoD or at least familiar with the series, and the fear here is that if the majority are happy playing CoD why would they bother with the 'Titan mode'... and Titanfall will become a CoD with parkour and burn cards instead of kill streaks.
Nothing wrong with CoD, but if I wanted to play CoD...err I would play CoD (Black Ops 2, to be more precise :p) but if the 'CoD mode' in Titanfall is more popular (because its more familiar and easier to get into), the 'Titanfall mode' will kind of die off and the message to the money bags is that players want more CoD and no attempts to change the formulae.
And that is exactly the point, Respawn have created something new, something different, something innovative which in this industry is a rare thing. They should be praised for that so let's keep it different and innovative instead of trying to degrade it back to the standard online shooter before the damn game has even been released.

Corralis

Nov 12, 2009
Cette said:
I think a lot of people here are massively underestimating how much of a difference the jetpacks and parkour make in differentiating this from COD.

Now mind you I feel like the titans should be in all the main game modes but if there's a titan only mode then why not a pilot only one?
I suppose my main fear with a pilot only mode is that it could end up being the way all competitive games of Titanfall end up being just because it's what people are used to. If however, we argue against the pilot only mode then if players want Titanfall to be competitive they would have no choice but to learn to use the Titan's.

Watershed

Dec 10, 2007
Having spent a fair amount of time on the PC beta, I have no idea why you would want a pilot only mode. Titan's are so much fun, and more customization options in the full game would only add to that. Got to love the nuclear ejection.

Having said that, the parkour and jetpacks do make a big difference when playing as a pilot, so it wouldn't be just like Call of Duty. Can't imagine I'd spend much time on that mode though.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Given how quick M$ was to rebuke Zampella's statement, there definitely will be a season pass.
At least they're being honest for once.

windlenot

Archeoastronomist
Mar 27, 2011
Can we use the inclusion of things as a detractor of to original if they don't take anything away from the original game? I mean, pilot only mode doesn't destroy the core titan gameplay, I can't really see how the option detracts any from the rest of the game.

I'm not overwhelmed by excitement either, the inclusion of it's fine, that's all.

Jesse Billingsley

Mar 21, 2011
Corralis said:
Pilot only mode means that your on foot, not in a titan right? (I don't have access to the game, so I'm going off on assumptions.) If that's the case, yeah, I'd totally be against it. Then again, Titans are still just two legged soldiers with automatic weapons, only bigger. It's like ordering a cheese pizza, only to get a cheese pizza with slightly different cheese.

Kalezian said:
you know what Titanfall is now that I think about it?

It's COD: Ghosts, except you can control the dog in multiplayer.

Jesus Christ, now I see why people are sperglording over this game.
It needs more OP weapons. Gauss Cannons, pulse lasers, slug guns, and Auto cannons please!

Alpha Maeko

Uh oh, better get Maeko!
Apr 14, 2010
Just cuz Pilot Only mode is in there doesn't mean people have to use it.

I think having options is a good thing.

Chareater

Aug 12, 2010
Pilot only mode? So just COD? why not just play COD...

Also I am worried these season passes are going to split the community in half, so people with the DLC can't play with people who don't have it (this would be especially true if they are map packs). I think they should do the TF2 thing where any DLC you buy is just skins and any new titans/weapons are given to everyone.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Steven Bogos said:
Titanfall launches March 11 for Xbox One and PC, with an b]Xbox 360 version to follow on March 25[/b].
0_o

Theres gonna be a 360 version? Shit... there goes any insentive I may have needed to go with the XB1 over the PS4.