Titanfall No Longer Up for Pre-Load, Microsoft Admits Error - Update

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
QuadFish said:
You're working under the assumption they would have a complete game to "write some code in". If any of the people at Respawn know what they're doing that won't be the case. All they'll have is either a complete but RSA-encrypted game (which I assume they'd release the key for on release day) or a nearly complete game with 50-100 megs of executable code or key assets missing. In the former case you have unbreachable data and in the latter you have crucial data so incomplete it would take far longer to complete it than to just wait for release day, even if that could be accomplished.

Note I'm assuming the game would need an internet connection to unlock it. I don't think it's unreasonable to think that Respawn would take that approach if that demographic was able to download 15 gigs of game data in the first place. In any case, this is not like reverse engineering Assassin's Creed's DRM, where said hackers had some base to work off. Here they'd have to either break RSA (impossible) or reconstruct a significant portion of the game from nothing, rather than just modifying what they already have.

These hypothetical hackers don't actually have a game remember, they have unusable gibberish data. A complete game is much easier to work off.
see, your assumming Respawn did all the proper security. Its worth remmembering that this pre-loading was a mistake that was never intended to be, and as such could have been set to go live on actual release date without needing these kind of securities and thus they may not be implemented.

The reason of pre-loading games exist is that even people with 100kbps internet can download it before launch and play on launch day, so constant internet connection may not be required. however considering the game is primary multiplayer (they did promise some sort of singleplayer didnt they?) the activation could very well be a onjline one.
Actually, AC is a bad example, considering that hackers actually broke into Ubisoft servers and stole the servercode for that. so its not some workaround there but actual server emulation. at least in AC2.

you do have a point that if proper security is implemented it can be protected this way, which is how Steam preloading doesnt always gets on the internet before the release. But that sometimes lead to problems such as GameDev tycoon missing the exe from actual game and the only way to play your bought copy is to download an exe from the comments section.

QuadFish

God Damn Sorcerer
Dec 25, 2010
Strazdas said:
QuadFish said:
snippety snip
see, your assumming Respawn did all the proper security. Its worth remmembering that this pre-loading was a mistake that was never intended to be, and as such could have been set to go live on actual release date without needing these kind of securities and thus they may not be implemented.

The reason of pre-loading games exist is that even people with 100kbps internet can download it before launch and play on launch day, so constant internet connection may not be required. however considering the game is primary multiplayer (they did promise some sort of singleplayer didnt they?) the activation could very well be a onjline one.
Actually, AC is a bad example, considering that hackers actually broke into Ubisoft servers and stole the servercode for that. so its not some workaround there but actual server emulation. at least in AC2.

you do have a point that if proper security is implemented it can be protected this way, which is how Steam preloading doesnt always gets on the internet before the release. But that sometimes lead to problems such as GameDev tycoon missing the exe from actual game and the only way to play your bought copy is to download an exe from the comments section.
Ah. My understanding for AC was they had to spoof a server connection to convince the game it was connected. I'll admit I'm not an expert on these content locks in particular, but if it was done properly it should be nearly impenetrable, since they can do whatever the want to the data if none of their consumers need it to work yet.

It's true though, not too many big companies are that good at online security in general, but honestly EA has had enough practice by now. I still don't see it being likely to happen for Titanfall without some serious luck and hacker ingenuity.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
QuadFish said:
Ah. My understanding for AC was they had to spoof a server connection to convince the game it was connected. I'll admit I'm not an expert on these content locks in particular, but if it was done properly it should be nearly impenetrable, since they can do whatever the want to the data if none of their consumers need it to work yet.

It's true though, not too many big companies are that good at online security in general, but honestly EA has had enough practice by now. I still don't see it being likely to happen for Titanfall without some serious luck and hacker ingenuity.
I am not certain how they emulated the other ACs, but the 2nd (at least the one i saw for download and judging by what i read since i dont download them myself, but the local pirates community here is probably the best forum in my country so i hang around there) one was running emulated spoof of the server based on stolen data from actual ubi servers. and from what i hear they used same stolen files in other games but im nto sure how they worked that much. Though you are correct that most online checks are simply spoofed for cracking purposes or simply checks removed from the game. For example gta4 automatically went into "offline mode" when cracked, which was funny when somoene had a legal key and wanted to play multiplayer but the crack wouldnt allow him since the program though you have no internet. crackers get imaginative just as the anticrackers do.

Its true you CAN make it impenetrable, but whether accidental preloading is so remains to be seen (there was no leaked version on one website i visit that i mentioned before, not sure if its anywhere else, being local community they usually get things 2-3 days late here anyway since they dont use upload bots with one exception)

If past is any proof EA is awful at their network security stuff. at least from perspective of how games easily get their "Required" network connection "fixed". especially with stories like this http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2012/11/14/ea-origin-accounts-hacked-time-change-your-passwords/ (granted rather old article but i can remember reading something similar this month as well with massive emails asking to change passwords. Could be a different service though)
Then again there is always a chance they learnt. will have to wait and see it seems.