Titanfall PC Requirements Outed By Vince Zampella

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Titanfall PC Requirements Outed By Vince Zampella

If you plan on playing Titanfall on your PC, this is what you'll need to bring to the table.

PC gamers are very much like the heroic American astronauts who strode across the surface of the moon: We do this not because it is easy, but because it is hard! If we wanted to just buy a game - like, say, Titanfall - and play it, we'd do it on a console. But we don't!

Having established that, we can now move on to the minimum requirements for the PC version of Titanfall, tweeted earlier today by Respawn Entertainment boss Vince Zampella. It's just the basics, but it's all you really need to know.

64-bit Windows 7, 8, 8.1
AMD Athlon X2 2.8GHz or Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz
4GB RAM
Radeon HD 4770 or GeForce 8800GT, 512MB VRAM

It's actually not all that terribly imposing as PC specs go, but of course that's the bare minimum that will get you through the door and a better experience will obviously be had with better hardware. And if you really are any sort of PC gamer, what are you doing with an Athlon and a GeForce 8800 anyway?

[tweet t=https://twitter.com/VinceZampella/status/430811723839197184]

Zampella also tweeted that Respawn is "talking about" a Mac version of Titanfall and "would like to see it happen," but if it does it won't be until after the game is released. Titanfall comes out on March 11 for the Xbox 360, Xbox One and PC.

Source: Twitter (Vince Zampella) [https://twitter.com/vincezampella/status/430808417867821056]

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
Very reasonable minimum requirements I think, and nothing particularly surprising here. I imagine I'll be able to run this on near it's max settings. If I buy it or not though remains to be seen. As of net nothing has made me itch to buy it.

Isalan

Jun 9, 2008
Pretty much the same specs as my current clapped out, creaky, hamster powered machine. Getting a new one in a week or 2 so should be able to get a lot out of this if I decide to play it.

Not sure if this good news for PC gamers or a damning indictment of the power that the next gen consoles bring to the table.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
Isalan said:
Pretty much the same specs as my current clapped out, creaky, hamster powered machine. Getting a new one in a week or 2 so should be able to get a lot out of this if I decide to play it.

Not sure if this good news for PC gamers or a damning indictment of the power that the next gen consoles bring to the table.
The xbox is a very much underpowered, the PS4 is only slightly more powerful. But it isn't always about hardware, the xbox was underpowered last generation compared to the PS3 and it did really well. But the PS3 was more expensive for the longest time, where as now the PS4 is cheaper than the xbone, and is more powerful.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Isalan said:
Don't forget Titanfall is primarily a 360 game running on the Source Engine, it's being built to work on tech from 2004 and should in no way be considered a 'next gen' game. Obviously the Xbone/PC versions will look better, but the 360 is far and away the lead market.

Of course this isn't necessarily a bad thing, pretty much everyone and their dog should be able to play it and get a good frame rate. Since it's on Source it should have a nice high server tick rate too, which ought to help Respawn in their apparent quest to aim the game at the competitive crowd in a way DICE have completely failed to with Battlefield. Assuming they don't cock it up and make the ranked games P2P lobby only like Call of Duty does.

Something I find interesting is that Titanfall is looking like it's been quite a cheap game to develop. I don't mean that in a derogatory way, but between buying in Source, the low player cap and the graphics so far looking quite unambitious (versus say, CryEngine or Frostbite games) it seems clear (to me) that EA haven't simply thrown giant wads of money at this project. Perhaps this was part of Respawn's plan, with a lower than average budget it gives them some leeway to avoid the cash grabbing EA is so fond of. It may give them some more creative and timing control too since there isn't that huge investment to 'protect' in the vein of recent EA success stories like BF4 and The Old Republic. Or maybe I'm miles off and this cost even more than Battlefield 4...

Dr.Awkward

Mar 27, 2013
Steven Bogos said:
Ah... the good old 8800 GT.
Funny thing is, I have an 8600M GT that worked well with games such as Fallout 3 until I somehow damaged the fixture that holds the heat pipe over it, and now can barely run anything that came out after 2004 without overheating. But that laptop's been retired for over a year now.

As for the requirements? Doesn't surprise me in one bit. this is a game that runs on Source, so it's had the time and constant attention to become very well-optimized and handle resources much better compared to other engines.

truckspond

Oct 26, 2013
Whoa... So my quad core i7 and nVidia GeForce GT 330 should still be able to run this game! I was not expecting that!

truckspond

Oct 26, 2013
CrossLOPER said:
Mr Ink 5000 said:
Nice to see a "next gen" title with reasonable min requirements
Reasonable? REASONABLE?????

This thing runs on a fukken relic! I call bullshit on these "minimum" requirements. Minimum to get past hardware install limit verification, I'll wager.
Unlike CoD Ghosts I am fairly sure that this game actually USES the RAM

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
truckspond said:
Whoa... So my quad core i7 and nVidia GeForce GT 330 should still be able to run this game! I was not expecting that!
Laptop or desktop?

Desktop version, you can play Crysis on that, no joke.

Laptop version, good luck.

truckspond

Oct 26, 2013
fix-the-spade said:
truckspond said:
Laptop or desktop?

Desktop version, you can play Crysis on that, no joke.

Laptop version, good luck.
Laptop version. It can still play Crysis at 1024x768 on medium just fine

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
i actually never payed that much attention to this game but from what i saw on youtube, it does look pretty neat. and the requirements are are actually ok. so i know i can run it pretty smoothly on my rig. i will keep an eye on it.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
fix-the-spade said:
Don't forget Titanfall is primarily a 360 game running on the Source Engine, it's being built to work on tech from 2004 and should in no way be considered a 'next gen' game. Obviously the Xbone/PC versions will look better, but the 360 is far and away the lead market.
Couple of counterpoints, if I may:

Respawn is only handling the Xbox One and PC builds of the game. The 360 version has been outsourced. And, until Respawn was surprised by the exclusivity deal between EA and Microsoft, they were primarily talking about the PC build.

Also, yes, the game is built on the core of the Source Engine. However, Respawn rebuilt the engine from it's core to be better suited to what they wanted it to do. Likewise, just because it's the Source Engine at it's core doesn't mean it's not "next gen".

There are swaths of new game engines that are built almost entirely on older engines. The Cry-Engine, Frostbyte, and Unreal Engine are all built upon the core of the predecessors. Hell, all current versions of Call of Duty run on modified versions of the Quake 3/id Tech 3 engine.

Still, I agree that, while it may not be Respawns primary focus per se, the 360 version is almost assuredly going to be the primary market for this game. The install base alone all-but guarantees this.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Huh. I thought this was going to be exclusive to Xbone and Windows 8. That was the primary reason I tuned out on info for it, having neither an XBone nor a machine running Win8.

Isalan said:
Well, it's only the minimums. Hard to tell anything from that yet.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Zachary Amaranth said:
Huh. I thought this was going to be exclusive to Xbone and Windows 8. That was the primary reason I tuned out on info for it, having neither an XBone nor a machine running Win8.
It's also being released on the Xbox 360, though I'm not sure if you have one.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Evonisia said:
It's also being released on the Xbox 360, though I'm not sure if you have one.
I do, which would probably be the version I'd try given the Origin requirements for the PC version.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
Maybe this means the recommended might not kill my PC after all which is good because I want to play this game without being told I need to throw more money into my Desktop.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
CrossLOPER said:
Mr Ink 5000 said:
Nice to see a "next gen" title with reasonable min requirements
Reasonable? REASONABLE?????

This thing runs on a fukken relic! I call bullshit on these "minimum" requirements. Minimum to get past hardware install limit verification, I'll wager.
It's a Source engine game. Of course it's not going to be demanding.