Titanfall Sequels Could Be on Multiple Platforms

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Fox12 said:
Neronium said:
CriticKitten said:
This is an obvious response to the massive initial sales success of the PS4.
Mmm...except it's not.

Zampella and the rest of the design team at Respawn actually liked the idea of releasing the game on systems other than Xbox 360, Xbox One, and PC. But due to limited resources, and an exclusivity deal worked out by EA, they had little choice.

Likewise, Zampella said that the first Titanfall would never be released on the PS4. (because of the exclusivity deal) However, he said they would love to, and plan to, release any potential sequels on the platform.

Why people are jumping to the conclusion this is solely in response to the successful launch of the PS4 confounds me. The article even mentions the tweet about releasing future titles of the PS4 that Zampella wrote weeks ago.

<.<

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
synobal said:
I thought it was already going to be on multiple platforms, both the Xbox and PC unless that changed and I didn't notice. I've not exactly been keeping up with titanfall news
It's still very much coming to the 360 and PC. The "exclusivity" aspect of it's release refers to it's exclusivity to Microsoft and EA branded platforms. {i.e. Xbone, 360, and Origin, respectively)

Though, as far as I'm aware, it's exclusivity to Origin is still up in the air.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Vigormortis said:
Fox12 said:
Neronium said:
CriticKitten said:
This is an obvious response to the massive initial sales success of the PS4.
Mmm...except it's not.

Zampella and the rest of the design team at Respawn actually liked the idea of releasing the game on systems other than Xbox 360, Xbox One, and PC. But due to limited resources, and an exclusivity deal worked out by EA, they had little choice.

Likewise, Zampella said that the first Titanfall would never be released on the PS4. (because of the exclusivity deal) However, he said they would love to, and plan to, release any potential sequels on the platform.

Why people are jumping to the conclusion this is solely in response to the successful launch of the PS4 confounds me. The article even mentions the tweet about releasing future titles of the PS4 that Zampella wrote weeks ago.

<.<
That may be true for the developers, but it's pretty clear that this was the response of EA. They go where the money is, and it seems clear that there;s a lot of money to be had with the PS4.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Vigormortis said:
Likewise, Zampella said that the first Titanfall would never be released on the PS4. (because of the exclusivity deal)
With how much this industry changes and how many times similar claims have been made you can see why people are skeptical no? Especially since this is EA. Unless we were to see the full contract deals that were made then I won't rule out any possibilities. I also wasn't saying that the game will come to the PS4 because of the successful launch, I just said that I don't believe it when a company says "this is exclusive to this system and this system only" and the company that made the game are 3rd party and aren't 1st party. Mainly because first party exclusives are really the only true exclusives out there nowadays. (well and second party to a degree, but with all the financial troubles many in the industry are having they might not want to risk it as much)

Mar 26, 2008
RicoADF said:
I hope this flops on the XBO badly along with the console. After what MS tried to pull they deserve nothing but failure as a warning to future consoles.
So you are wishing ill on a developer simply because they were told to make game on a console that you don't like? No offence, but that's pretty cold. It's like hoping that the driver driving the NASCAR with the Xbox One logo on it crashes and burns for the same reason. The decisions made by Microsoft are utterly divorced from those situations and it sounds like EA were the key player in the decision by Respawn to make Titanfall for the Xbox One.

Also, I think you'd be naive to believe that no one is going to try the same shit that Microsoft pulled with their policies when the console was first announced. Sony couldn't afford not to play nice with gamers and developers after being arrogant and standoff-ish with the PS3. They played it safe and look to reap the rewards of sorts. I think if they landslide this generation and if there turns out to be a PS5 in the future watch them become douche-nozzles.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Programmed_For_Damage said:
So you are wishing ill on a developer simply because they were told to make game on a console that you don't like? No offence, but that's pretty cold.
No, I'm wishing I'll on the publisher for selling out to a console that was going to screw the consumer over every way possible because they (the publisher, aka EA) were going to reap the benefits from this. EA deserves the game to fail on the console, I also want to point out I said fail on the XBO specifically, I hope it goes well on PC to show EA how stupid they were as it would show the game is wanted just not on the XBO.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Don't you mean "platform"? Or could Titanfall 2 be on the Vita? Saying "multiple platforms" gets this Wii U owner's hopes a bit higher than they should go after all. I wouldn't be surprised though to see Titanfall being the gen7 equivalent of Dead Rising or Mass Effect.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Fox12 said:
That may be true for the developers, but it's pretty clear that this was the response of EA. They go where the money is, and it seems clear that there;s a lot of money to be had with the PS4.
Egh, I mean, there's certainly money to be made out of the system. That much is clear. But in regards to Titanfall specifically, I'm not so sure...

The man from EA[footnote]Sounds like a bad spy film.[/footnote] is likely just parroting what Zampella and others have been saying for weeks/months.

In most cases, with trade shows like these, that's all these people do. Read from scripts and talk in the language of taglines, quotes, and PR jargon.

Now sure, in light of the successful launch of the PS4, EA may be rethinking some of it's release schedules, but there had already been plans for Respawn to release titles on the PS4 long before the system launched. So the only thing I can see them changing their minds on is the initial exclusivity deal. Namely: regretting like hell that they made it.

Neronium said:
With how much this industry changes and how many times similar claims have been made you can see why people are skeptical no? Especially since this is EA. Unless we were to see the full contract deals that were made then I won't rule out any possibilities. I also wasn't saying that the game will come to the PS4 because of the successful launch, I just said that I don't believe it when a company says "this is exclusive to this system and this system only" and the company that made the game are 3rd party and aren't 1st party. Mainly because first party exclusives are really the only true exclusives out there nowadays. (well and second party to a degree, but with all the financial troubles many in the industry are having they might not want to risk it as much)
There are actually quite a few 3rd party exclusives on any given platform. While many will come from first or second party developers, quite a few still come from 3rd party devs. Though, many are smaller releases or from smaller developers that can't afford to spread to a wide range of platforms. (or, in the case of some like From Software, they adhere to certain platforms because of their familiarity with the programming environment)

I'll grant, EA flipping it's position in light of unexpected market factors is a given. God knows they love to flip-flop. (as do most publishers) In fact, I'd wager a paycheck or two they're regretting the exclusivity deal with Microsoft quite a lot.

But then...and this'll require a donning of the conspiracy hats....perhaps EA is trying to forcibly limit the reach of Titanfall, if only to keep it from outdoing their other big franchise targeted to a similar demographic: Battlefield.

But that's crazy, right? No one in their right mind would do such a thing.

'Course, we are talking about EA...

Reaper195

Jul 5, 2009
This is all assuming that Titanfall ends up selling well enough to make a franchise out of it. I'd laugh my ass off at all this if the game comes out, does well for a few days, then just dies because it's incredibly average. Which it looks.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Vigormortis said:
But then...and this'll require a donning of the conspiracy hats....perhaps EA is trying to forcibly limit the reach of Titanfall, if only to keep it from outdoing their other big franchise targeted to a similar demographic: Battlefield.

But that's crazy, right? No one in their right mind would do such a thing.

'Course, we are talking about EA...
Nah, I don't think that's the case. Mainly because if it were then Titanfall wouldn't be coming to the PC, which has a huge Battlefield user base for sure due to FPS games on PC being better in some ways over console FPS games. So let's just chalk that up to conspiracy. XD

As for the 3rd parties flip-flopping, I'm mainly talking about the large ones that usually have the money to develop onto other systems. This is especially the case with Wii U "exclusives" going multiplatform, which is why I'm more wary about it really.

Toadfish1

May 28, 2013
LysanderNemoinis said:
NNNNOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! Dear God, no! Aww, come on! WHY!? And here I was, so happy that the PS4 wouldn't have yet another grey and brown generic shooter. Great. I know Sony doesn't have any control over this, but how about you guys try and get Bayonetta 2 on the system (or bring back Valkyria Chronicles) before a samey FPS that will in all liklohood suck baffling amounts of ass.
Has the word generic really become so meaningless that its being applied to a game with jetpacks and mechs?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
This was announced at the same time as the exclusivity. Why is it later, separate news?

Toadfish1 said:
Has the word generic really become so meaningless that its being applied to a game with jetpacks and mechs?
Honestly, I'd like to see a little more differentiation than Malibu Stacy's new hat.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Neronium said:
Nah, I don't think that's the case. Mainly because if it were then Titanfall wouldn't be coming to the PC, which has a huge Battlefield user base for sure due to FPS games on PC being better in some ways over console FPS games. So let's just chalk that up to conspiracy. XD
Well yeah. I wasn't being serious. Was just a (poor) attempt at a joke.

As for the 3rd parties flip-flopping, I'm mainly talking about the large ones that usually have the money to develop onto other systems. This is especially the case with Wii U "exclusives" going multiplatform, which is why I'm more wary about it really.
Fair point. I actually share your uneasiness.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Vigormortis said:
Well yeah. I wasn't being serious. Was just a (poor) attempt at a joke.
I was guessing so, but then some little thoughts appeared in my head because you just know that there is at least one person out there who would actually believe that. XD

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Fox12 said:
Creator: "Titanfall will not be released on the PS4. Ever."

*PS4 sells a million consoles in a single day*

Creator: "Holy Fu-"
Less the creator and more the publisher.

I imagine Zampella and the rest of Respawn looking at EA and asking "are you sure you don't want us to continue work on the PS4 version?" while EA board looks on uncomfortably.

Amir Kondori

Apr 11, 2013
Respawn retains ownership of the IP, doesn't it? So once whatever publishing deal is up with EA, for however many games that is, they can then go and make Titanfall sequels on whichever platforms they wish, published by whomever they wish.

Or was that Bungie and Activision?

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
CriticKitten said:
Because it totally is a response to the PS4's sales, seeing as how the individual quoted in this article is not the developer for Titanfall, but rather the CFO of EA.

The developer's desires and intentions are meaningless so long as EA pulls the strings. He may have made it clear in the past that he would've liked to develop for other consoles, but EA is still in charge. However, with the PS4 now selling much more rapidly than anticipated, EA has undoubtedly loosened the "leash" and is more open to the idea of non-exclusive Titanfall sequels.
You're right in that the man mentioned in this article isn't from Respawn. However, both Respawn and EA were openly talking about bringing future titles and sequels to the PS4 and other platforms. This was well before the launch of the PS4.

Really, this article is making it clear that the CFO from EA is just rehashing old news. Repeating old quotes he and his company have already made. Which is something one expects these kinds of people to do when at trade shows.

So while they may be reiterating the point after the success of the PS4 launch, the idea of multiplatform wasn't sparked by the successful launch.

That's all I was trying to say.

EA did the exact same thing shortly before the XBone reveal by loudly burning their bridge with Nintendo, and after it got *terrible* reception of the Xbone, suddenly EA was out in force trying to downplay their anti-Nintendo statements from earlier and how they were totally open to making Wii U games after all.

EA is an absolute snake in this regard, their words shifting in the political winds of the market on a whim. You can't ever take them at their word.
EA didn't "burn their bridge" with Nintendo in light of the Xbox One reveal. They cut back on Wii U game production because the Wii U wasn't selling well. In fact, it's sales numbers were abysmal.

Granted, they may have openly backed the Xbox One as a result, but the One wasn't the reason for their "abandonment" of the Wii U. (thought it may have been their reason for snubbing the PS4 in general)

You can consider that a "dick move", but any company that doesn't adjust to the market is doomed to fail in the end.

Not that that is necessarily a bad thing in regards to EA.

<.<

Again, though, this is all meaningless if the exclusivity deal ends up costing them too many sales to make Titanfall a viable franchise, or if it just doesn't sell well at all. So they're still getting ahead of themselves.
Very true. That certainly is a possibility.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Neronium said:
I was guessing so, but then some little thoughts appeared in my head because you just know that there is at least one person out there who would actually believe that. XD
Psh, I'd be open to believing it if I hadn't said it.

We're talking about a publisher that gave serious thought to monetizing bullets in games like Battlefield.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Zachary Amaranth said:
This was announced at the same time as the exclusivity. Why is it later, separate news?
Because EA execs like to reiterate a statement already made, especially at trade shows, until a new idea comes along or the statement becomes verboten.

If the latter, they'll then backpedal like mad and claim it wasn't their idea.

Standard operating procedure for most publishers.