Titanfall Won't Have Micro-Transactions, According to Respawn

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Now, I'm conflicted. I actually hate the BS game EA and Microsoft played where they signed a exclusivity contract without the development team even knowing about it. But I don't want the team to suffer for something that is out of their control. I also want a AAA title that seems to shun micro-transactions (currently seems very minimal on PS4) to succeed. If only to prevent developers from thinking they "need" micro-transactions rather than thinking that there was some other mistake.

I guess I can only hope that it does well on PC and poorly on the Xbone. That way I get the best of both. Supporting the developer and punishing shitty business practices.

Ed130 said:
Genocidicles said:
I'll believe that when I see it. It's being published by EA after all.
Considering what EA did to Dead Space 3, I'll join you in the chorus of skepticism.
Not to forget Microsoft and their role in this. After all, every Xbox One Exclusive had micro-transactions. I heard Crimson Dragon was basically unplayable without paying for some of them. Ryse and Forza also had them. Then again, that wasn't Microsoft's influence at all. All those companies made that call on their own. You believe that, right?

milijanko

Nov 19, 2013
Yeah, yeah... Wait until EA puts the all-mighty content cutting scissors to work. After they do their job, Tittanfall will have at least two pre-order bonus packs and four DLC packs all ready to go even before the game is out.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
What I find distressing is that this actually has to be specified as opposed to just being standard.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Shadow-Phoenix said:
Glad it doesn't do micro trans but I'm hoping to god it doesn't do any season pass bullshit, the game has me hooked and I don't want to have to pay more money in order to enjoy a game.
Same. Though, a decently sized bit of DLC or an expansion pack might be a purchase for me, provided the content is hefty and the price is low. (and the core game is good enough to warrant further content)

Though, it fascinates me that people are assuming there will be a bevy of superfluous, money-grubbing "features" tacked on to the game, simply because EA is publishing it.

Yes, EA is publishing the game. They do not, however, have any involvement with the production of the game. Respawn is, presumably, retaining some amalgam of autonomy in design.

This is not to say EA won't force Respawns hand and require them to tack something ludicrous onto the front-end of the game. After all, they've already forced the game onto Origin, so something further could be a possibility. Nor does it mean Respawn themselves won't add something themselves. However, we're not likely to see anything egregious on the back-end of the game; as is somewhat evident by their claiming an absence of microtransactions.

This is all subject to change, of course. We'll find out the truth in March.

Saltyk said:
Now, I'm conflicted. I actually hate the BS game EA and Microsoft played where they signed a exclusivity contract without the development team even knowing about it. But I don't want the team to suffer for something that is out of their control. I also want a AAA title that seems to shun micro-transactions (currently seems very minimal on PS4) to succeed. If only to prevent developers from thinking they "need" micro-transactions rather than thinking that there was some other mistake.

I guess I can only hope that it does well on PC and poorly on the Xbone. That way I get the best of both. Supporting the developer and punishing shitty business practices.
Wouldn't that be a glorious outcome?

Not only would it show that micro-transactions and ludicrously overpriced DLC packs aren't needed, and that exclusivity deals are fruitless, and that the XboxOne isn't as viable as they'd hoped, but it would also show that the PC is, indeed, gaining in popularity and prevalence.

'Course, all of that would likely fly right over the execs at Microsoft and EA. They'd probably just chalk up the game's release as a flop.

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
"We boldly declare that we will not shoot ourselves in the foot."

Alternatively

"I don't want to stab myself in the stomach, that shit hurts."

thewatergamer

Aug 4, 2012
Uh huh yeah sure...

Sorry respawn but your game is being published by Micro$oft and EA two of the biggest money sinks in the industry, and infamous for microtransactions, I really won't believe it until I see it,

Also its pretty damn sad when this is actually a big deal for a Triple A game...

Oh well Your game is an Origin Exclusive meaning I can't GoG or Steam it so yeah... kind of lost interest right there...

Also Excuse me but even if it doesn't you'll find some other BS way to shoehorn in pay walls,

if its not microtransactions it will be 20$ skin pack DLC or some other way OverPriced garbage