Titanfall Won't Have Mod Tools at Launch

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Titanfall Won't Have Mod Tools at Launch

Respawn Entertainment's Vince Zampella says it will "evaluate" the need for modding tools post-launch.

Microsoft may have people believing that Respawn Entertainment's upcoming sci-fi shooter Titanfall will be exclusive to the Xbox, but it's actually coming out on PC as well. And, we all know that user-created mods are one of the things that make PC games so great. Except that won't be the case for Titanfall on PC, as Respawn co-founder Vince Zampella has unfortunately come out and said that the game will not launch with modding tools for the PC, but may possibly be added later.

"Not at launch for sure, will have to evaluate after launch," he wrote, responding to a fan's question about potential mod and mapping tool availability for the game via Twitter [https://twitter.com/VinceZampella/status/417046102290886656].

So there you have it, no mods for Titanfall at launch, and probably not for a long while after (if not ever). But, it's not like something as trivial as not having official mod support has stopped ambitious modders in the past [http://liberty-unleashed.co.uk/].

It's worth noting that both of Titanfall's biggest rivals, Call of Duty and Battlefield, also do not support mods on the PC.

The Titanfall dev team recently talked about how sniping would work in the game [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/130915-Titanfalls-Quick-Scoping-and-No-Scoping-Sniping-to-Be-Ineffective-Respawn-Says], stating that the traditional "quick-scoping" and "no-scoping" techniques would not be effective in the sci-fi shooter.

Titanfall releases in March, 2013, for the PC, Xbox 360 and Xbox One.

Source: Polygon [https://twitter.com/Bethblog/status/418871493129302016]

NLS

Norwegian Llama Stylist
Jan 7, 2010
Modding support has pretty much vanished from the AAA market now anyways. It would be more surprising and worthy of a news article if a AAA game came with mod support than without. Also, it's not like with skyrim, where you can fuck around in your own single player world. Titanfall is a multiplayer only experience, with probably consistent stat updates and rankings a such integrated part of the game code, that I don't see an easy way of making mods work with it.
But, anything can happen. Also, the game is based on the source engine, so someone is gonna figure out something sooner or later.

NLS

Norwegian Llama Stylist
Jan 7, 2010
Modding support has pretty much vanished from the AAA market now anyways. It would be more surprising and worthy of a news article if a AAA game came with mod support than without. Also, it's not like with skyrim, where you can fuck around in your own single player world. Titanfall is a multiplayer only experience, with probably consistent stat updates and rankings a such integrated part of the game code, that I don't see an easy way of making mods work with it.
But, anything can happen. Also, the game is based on the source engine, so someone is gonna figure out something sooner or later.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
The simple fact that they are considering for the future is suprising as fuck, still unlickely to happen though.

Hawkeye21

Oct 25, 2011
Some mods actually improve graphics in games significantly, just look at ENB mods for Skyrim or New Vegas. There were some similar mods recently for D3 and Battlefield 3, but publishers started banning people for using them. I wonder if it is some console conspiracy, to keep PC versions of games looking as shitty as possible, so console versions look better by comparison...

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
Hawkeye21 said:
Some mods actually improve graphics in games significantly, just look at ENB mods for Skyrim or New Vegas. There were some similar mods recently for D3 and Battlefield 3, but publishers started banning people for using them. I wonder if it is some console conspiracy, to keep PC versions of games looking as shitty as possible, so console versions look better by comparison...
I remember the BF3 one making it colourful but at the same time fixing how shadows worked so people couldn't hide behind a mere box shadow and be blacked out completely (that's not how your eyesight works during the day).

I don't think it's a conspiracy however, that would be pushing it to somewhere we shouldn't be going.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
How come when I hear "mods for pc FPS" I automatically think of shit like aim bots, wall hacks, texture removal (anybody remember MW2, the wasteland map? Had a giant X hedge and a bunker in the middle? My brother had a mod to remove the hedge).

I'm sure there would be mods to make the game prettier and run more smoothly, as there are countless examples of such mods but still, I have a nagging feeling a lot of servers will be infinite ammo, super jump, x4 speed, no reload, instant titan cooldown (or however it's worked) bullshit.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
omega 616 said:
How come when I hear "mods for pc FPS" I automatically think of shit like aim bots, wall hacks, texture removal (anybody remember MW2, the wasteland map? Had a giant X hedge and a bunker in the middle? My brother had a mod to remove the hedge).

I'm sure there would be mods to make the game prettier and run more smoothly, as there are countless examples of such mods but still, I have a nagging feeling a lot of servers will be infinite ammo, super jump, x4 speed, no reload, instant titan cooldown (or however it's worked) bullshit.
Thats something different, you got games like Counter Strike that are very open to mods and yet can keep those hacks away, and if you want a vanilla server then its very easy to find using filters.

Mods can add a lot more to certain games, this here is Forgotten Hope 2, a mod for Battlefield 2:

milijanko

Nov 19, 2013
Since Titanfalls engine is modified Source I somehow doubt modders who have worked on Source games this many years will be stopped by something simple like not having official mod tools...

Objectable

Oct 31, 2013
I must post this as an obligatory:
<youtube=YVhfXHIg5UQ>
The fact that Mod tools might come makes a Wall Attack mode even more likely.

Imbechile

Aug 25, 2010
Of course they won't support modding.

How else are they going to sell overpriced multiplayer map packs if people can create new maps.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
They're evaluating the need for mod support of a freakin' Source game? Well, in that case I've evaluated my need for Titanfall and it's 0. I have no need for it. And before you ask, no it's not because of mods, it's because I find that kind of attitude shortsighted and frankly, kind of disrespecting. DICE said the same thing when BF3 was released. There's no real excuse when it comes to Source engine games. That kind of attitude needs to be punished. Fuck this game.

CpT_x_Killsteal said:
Fan creativity hurts profits.
Except that it doesn't.

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
josemlopes said:
The simple fact that they are considering for the future is suprising as fuck, still unlickely to happen though.
They don't consider it for even a second. This is the same song and dance the AAA has been slinging for years. Promising mods in the future and normally burying that promise around the time the DLC is ready to be shipped out.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
NLS said:
Modding support has pretty much vanished from the AAA market now anyways. It would be more surprising and worthy of a news article if a AAA game came with mod support than without.
And this right here is one of 2 reasons why AAA games value has dropped for me, modding and quality lost. Modding adds replayability and thus value, quality is being lost as their all becoming the same game/s. Digital titles incur another value loss as well, as a result most games I won't buy for more than $30 and some I consider worth far far less.

ToastyMozart

Mar 13, 2012
Objectable said:
The fact that Mod tools might come makes a Wall Attack mode even more likely.
I'd bet that when and if mod tools are released, Survey Corps uniforms are going to be released within a matter of hours :)