"Titans" Actress Anna Diop Has Been Hit With Racist Insults

Oct 22, 2011
Captain Marvelous said:
Well, as much as I like to think that the world is full of morally grey choices, this seems pretty damn black and white.
Yet this thread went for three pages.

Yeah, complaining about the casting or wardrobe choice is one thing. Sending hatemail, and calling actors racial slurs on twatter is another. There's like a canyon separating these issues, and i don't know why some people try to conflate them and rationalize those assholes.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
First off, Fuck Racist POS assholes and people who harass people online.

With that out of the way, assuming there are legitmate criticisms with the casting/costume, why direct this anger at the actors of all people? Shouldn't your beef be with the director/producer/casting head/head of wardrobe? You know, the people actually in charge of such things?

I can think of plenty of bad costuming/casting decisions coughQuietbreathesthroughherskincough but I've never thought "Hey, I'll send threats and hate mail to the actor/actress. That'll show'em".

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Dalisclock said:
First off, Fuck Racist POS assholes and people who harass people online.

With that out of the way, assuming there are legitmate criticisms with the casting/costume, why direct this anger at the actors of all people? Shouldn't your beef be with the director/producer/casting head/head of wardrobe? You know, the people actually in charge of such things?

I can think of plenty of bad costuming/casting coughQuietbreathesthroughherskincough but I've never thought "Hey, I'll send threats and hate mail to the actor/actress. That'll show'em".
Because people are shallow and want to take shots at what's easily visible. It's why people yell at cashiers when they're angry about an item not being in the store, instead of the people who are in charge of stocking and distribution.

Lil devils x_v1legacy

More Lego Goats Please!
May 17, 2011
Satinavian said:
Lil devils x said:
Personally I don't like the hair in either of the photos you showed. Starfire is supposed to have A TON of hair, so long it trails behind her and so fluffy and full it dwarfs her face. It is not supposed to be tight curls and it is not supposed to be flat like the other photo. What they should have used was a FULL over bulked up lady Godiva wig in fire red. More like lady godiva:
cut a bit off the front style to a tip in the back and poof it up a bit more dye it red and this would even work ( of course in a much better quality of wig though):
This is the hair they should have been going for here:

The awful wig they used looks nothing like her character wig, but neither does the flat straight hair. It needs to go in a different direction all together.
Problem is, the best known version of starfire is probably
That is the awkward tweenager STarfire in TEEN Titans, not the adult version. Starfire is supposed to be an adult in this film, not the 12 year old version. In her adult form she has more hair and curves. She is supposed to be woman here not a girl. LOL

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
Lil devils x said:
That is the awkward tweenager STarfire in TEEN Titans, not the adult version. Starfire is supposed to be an adult in this film, not the 12 year old version. In her adult form she has more hair and curves. She is supposed to be woman here not a girl. LOL
I know.

But they are making a TV show.

That is how Starfire looked in every single other TV appeareance aside from DC Superhero Girls which has this version:

It is a bit more mixed with films. There have been cameo appeareances that match the comic version, but mayor roles seem to have been based on the two TV versions.

Aside from actual comic readers no one knows the comic Starfire (well, the TV show was popular enough to spawn its own comics). And the new TV show is clearly aimed at the fans of the old TV show. The show was also translated into several languages and is was shown in other countries. The comics never had similar reach, which is another problem as the new show is also expected to be sold worldwide.

And no, the problem is less that starfire is older, but that she doesn't look even remotely similar to the TV version people know which really hurts a new show banking on nostalgia.

Lil devils x_v1legacy

More Lego Goats Please!
May 17, 2011
Satinavian said:
Lil devils x said:
I know.

But they are making a TV show.

That is how Starfire looked in every single other TV appeareance aside from DC Superhero Girls which has this version:

It is a bit more mixed with films. There have been cameo appeareances that match the comic version, but mayor roles seem to have been based on the two TV versions.

Aside from actual comic readers no one knows the comic Starfire (well, the TV show was popular enough to spawn its own comics). And the new TV show is clearly aimed at the fans of the old TV show. The show was also translated into several languages and is was shown in other countries. The comics never had similar reach, which is another problem as the new show is also expected to be sold worldwide.

And no, the problem is less that starfire is older, but that she doesn't look even remotely similar to the TV version people know which really hurts a new show banking on nostalgia.
-
Again, you are trying to compare cartoony kids versions with the adult, mature version.. which are very different. The original Starfire didn't look anything like the kids version. This is also another kids version:

her hair is pink here.
They are not making this about the kids version, they are making it about the original adult version.

And yea women do change when they get older, and in the case of a super hero, there should be big changes. Them not making her skin orange enough in the kids version could be considered " white washing her", and no they should not continue to do that simply because they made cartoons in between the original and now that they did so. She should never have had the same skin color as any of the non orange humans in the first place in the cartoons, it does not go along with her actual story. They made beast boy still green, they really should not have changed her skin color, hair or body type in the kids cartoons in the first place.

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
Lil devils x said:
Again, you are trying to compare cartoony kids versions with the adult, mature version.. which are very different. The original Starfire didn't look anything like the kids version.
Yes, they are very different and the "kids version" (as if the comic target group is that much older than the Teen Titan target group was) is the far more influencial one.

Which is the source of probably half the Starfire backlash we see now. People hear about a new adaption of Teen Titans as life action TV show, are excited and then thoroughly disappointed.

Also the Go version is not very different, sharing the same costume, the same facial peculiarities like the oversized eyes and the strange eyebrows. It is the same concept in a different artstyle bar a minor color shift.

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
Satinavian said:
Lil devils x said:
Again, you are trying to compare cartoony kids versions with the adult, mature version.. which are very different. The original Starfire didn't look anything like the kids version.
Yes, they are very different and the "kids version" (as if the comic target group is that much older than the Teen Titan target group was) is the far more influencial one.

Which is the source of probably half the Starfire backlash we see now. People hear about a new adaption of Teen Titans as life action TV show, are excited and then thoroughly disappointed.
If people cannot accept that an adaptation of a comic book character will not be the same as a previous adaptation of the same character, that's their problem.