TLOU2 Review Thread

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I am only posting this because of Dunkey.

An update, I finally saw the video and just got home. I wanted to add my points. Dunkey goes make good arguments, but there are points where I disagree with him, and he is wrong in one factual case.

1. I disagree with him on the theme of vengeance. The game is not doing anything special in that regard and feels played out. I've said it before, and the same applies: there are games that have already done what TLOU2 does, but better.
  2. There are plenty of games where you play as the villain(s)/anti-villain(s) at a game's halfway point, at the end, or in another campaign scenario. I don't why Dunkey singles Abby as a stand out example. Plenty of games beat TLOU2 to the punch in this regard:
  • Sonic Adventure 2 - You do have the option of playing the Dark Scenario from the Start though.
  • Anarchy Reigns - Once again, you have the options to decide which side you want to start with. With that said, you have to play both campaigns to unlock the final scenario. In this case, White vs. Black is more of heroes (One exception is with one of the characters on white side, who becomes the main villain. Care to guess?) vs. anti-heroes. White and Grey Morality.
  • Dynasty Warriors, Sengoku Basara, Samurai Warriors, and Ninety Nine Nights. All of these games deal with grey and grey morality and issues.
  • Tekken 7's story mode. The story is terrible, but you bounce around between a whole bunch of characters of different morality. 2 are villains, 2 are barely above anti-heroes, and 1 of the characters is a former villain.
  • MK11 Aftermath. I rest my case.
3. Out of all the games he picked from 2019-2020 with story: Far Cry 5, Devil May Cry 5, Doom Eternal, Fallen Order, and Modern Warfare, your mileage may very, but I found DMC5's story way more interesting with memorable character moments and beats. Doom is Doom, so there is nothing wrong with that. He's right that the AAA gaming space does nearly the same old story trite every time, but TLOU2 is no different in that regard. It just thinks and acts it is doing something "different", but it is shit we've seen done too many times. The rest of the examples I don't give a shit about, because I don't play boring games.

Overall I like his video, because he gets his points across. I disagree with a lot of your views on this game, but I understand what you mean.

Last edited:

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Overall I like his video, because he gets his points across. I disagree with a lot of your views on this game, but I understand what you mean.
At the very least he shines a light on how everyone in the game just travels around willy nilly like it's nothing. That's atleast some proper criticism that I haven't heard anyone else put forward. The ultimate take-away from all this is for me is that the game isn't just bad, but that the majority of people are too blinded by Joel's death to realize why it's bad.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Okay, but how is this thread still going?
The only reason I came back here was for Dunkey. If he did not post that video, I would not be back here otherwise. I have nothing else to say about this game.

If people want to talk about the game, let'em. People are passionate for better and worse. They will stop talking about it when they choose or are distracted by something else.

Gyrobot

Ask Revachol/Renegades of Woke
May 13, 2020
So TLOU2 Won Game of Year along with Best Storytelling, proving that Gaming as Art can win you awards unlike certain weeb games endorse by vocal minorities who are angry that Sony has abandoned them

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
So TLOU2 Won Game of Year along with Best Storytelling, proving that Gaming as Art can win you awards unlike certain weeb games endorse by vocal minorities who are angry that Sony has abandoned them

I mean, a lot of people will be disgusted by it, but drama aside it was technically and artistically the biggest, most ambitious game of 2020, however derivative it may have been from a design standpoint (albeit mostly polished). Certainly was no Witcher 3, FF7 Remake, God of War, or RDR2 though.

Gyrobot

May 13, 2020
I mean, a lot of people will be disgusted by it, but drama aside it was technically and artistically the biggest, most ambitious game of 2020, however derivative it may have been from a design standpoint (albeit mostly polished). Certainly was no Witcher 3, FF7 Remake, God of War, or RDR2 though.
Too bad weebs cannot appreciate such games, they are too angry that TLOU2 got away with everything Sony won't allow for weeb games.

Gyrobot

May 13, 2020
I’m not going to google “weeb”, but guessing it’s derogatory somehow.
Basically before TLOU2's release, a lot of Niche Japanese games got hit by censorship and they have a very vocal fanbase who support their devs. One victim was Kenichiro Takaki of Senran Kagura infamy as Intimacy Mode was taken out of the PS4 version.Then more word of sexually suggestive content was being forced to be removed from niche Japanese and you saw smaller devs abandoning the PS4 for ports, the biggest known cases was the HD rerelease of GalGun and Uppers where the PS4 version was not localized because of how Sony is treating niche weebs

Then comes TLOU2 with it's sexual content being uncensored and comes people crying about hypocrisy and trying to in every way poison the well for discussion and any attempt it made at being GOTY.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
Anime killed Gyrobot's parents, that's why he's so upset about the existence of weebs.

Gyrobot

May 13, 2020
Anime killed Gyrobot's parents, that's why he's so upset about the existence of weebs.
I am a former weeb who just found something more insightful and inspiring. If you want the honest truth, I was exposed to anime the rest of you experienced later at an early age. I just realized in the last couple of years how far anime has fallen and how toxic it's fanbase can be at times.

Reactions: Houseman

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I am a former weeb who just found something more insightful and inspiring. If you want the honest truth, I was exposed to anime the rest of you experienced later at an early age. I just realized in the last couple of years how far anime has fallen and how toxic it's fanbase can be at times.
i mean you just described fanbases in general

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Related: I swear to god, just give me a Gal Gun/Gun Gun Pixies style game with legal adults, I am begging you

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I am not surprised and I don't give a shit. Especially when the industry and "professional" reviewers have the deck stacked against others games, regardless of where those games came from and who made them on whatever side of the pacific. This is an industry known for giving everyone in higher circles constant pat on the backs for sucking each others dicks and clits and while being up their own asses. I already have two of my own GOTYs at that is all that matters to me. Just because some people "in charge" made a decision does not mean they make the same decision for everyone or act as if theirs is the only one that matters. It's called an opinion for a reason.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker