To all members of the Escapist: Please help us improve this site

Aschenkatza

Jan 14, 2009
cuddly_tomato said:
Aschenkatza said:
Lastly, if people are not interested in a topic then do not fucking post. I am embarrassed to have to point this out, it like asking them to not throw shit at people.
"Lastly, if people are not interested in a topic, then do not post." Simple as that.
"I am surprised that I have to point this out." Your not embarrassed, your embarrassing [others].
I preferred it the way I said it. It is about the most common problem around here, people posting just because they can. It isn't necessary to post in a topic merely to let people know you don't like it.
I respect that opinion. I'm merely suggesting how you could have made your point without using negative words.
I agree with your idea 100%. If you don't like how a post is written or what the post is about, then leave and don't post.

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
Teachingaddict said:
Ok new to the forum (ish) but happy to provide ideas

1. A karma system (suggested before) - I've seen it on other sites and it works nicely.

2. Quit the complaining - someone makes a repeat thread fine, tell them once, punish those people who feel like constantly stating the fact, or those that are just outright damn rude about it. OR although this would be timely for the mods, simply suspending anyone who comments, and allowing a simple report thread in which the outcome will be for the similar threads to be merged.

3. To avoid the above - how about a warning before posting "have you searched correctly before posting" or something along those lines.

4. Perhaps set up an introduction forum - where new people must go introduce themsevles and spend a certain period of time/or post count before being 'released'

5. Perhaps disable thread creation for new members until there post count hits 100 or something similar, this will enable users to become more "aware" of the community and how it can react to certain attitudes.

6. Hate to say this - but perhaps sometimes we could be a little less hasty on the "suspension/ban" hammer - I have to say as a newcomer I was terrified of making a thread or replying incase someone took it offensively and 'reported/suspended/banned' me.

7. Instead of banning/suspending people - perhaps we could limit their options should they offend, e.g. 1 post per day, no creation of threads, limited forum views etc

Ok thats all I have for now, I hope it can be seen as useful.

Teaching Addict
I don't really like the 4th or 5th points you brought up.

A lot of people that come to this site, are here for other things other than the forums. So when they do discover the forums, they may lurk for a bit. So now they finally decide to sign up because they found a topic they were interested in and want to post their idea in said topic. Too bad, you can't. Go to the introduction board first. It wouldn't work. And neither would limiting their thread creation abilities/posting abilities.

You don't want to put a chokehold on people before you even know who they are. You end up alienating many people who would love to participate with the community.

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
new_age_reject said:
Mr.Pandah said:
new_age_reject said:
Ok I have not read all 7 pages so I'm not sure if it has been said before but maybe a kinda point based karma system could be put in place.
If someone helps you out then you give them a plus point of karma and if someone acts a little foolishly then you add a negative point of karma (or take away from their good karma).
Of course this system could be abused but it could also help with the whole 'I've got more posts than you so you have to respect me' thing.
It would most definitely be abused sadly. The only way it wouldn't be abused is if say...the moderators gave someone a badge or something for being great on these boards. People could recommend others for this badge and what not, but that would ultimately lead to a big wank-off and we don't need anymore of that around here. Thats one of the major problems with some people around here sadly.
I do agree with what you said about it leading to a big wank off.
At the end of the day I believe that it all leads to trust. How much trust you want to give something ultimately leads to how successful it is. How are you gonna know if your kids are gonna behave when you leave them at home for the first time when you go to work, you wont know until you give them that first bit of trust.
Of course there are some kids that will purposely try and abuse that trust, but with others, that little bit of trust can go a long way.
Man, I totally agree with you on that. This is how I've been raised, and let me tell you, that trust goes for miles when you're a kid. However, when dealing with people online, its a whole different story sadly. Most people on here have a decent amount of common sense, and I don't think it would be abused...at first that is. I would love to trust everyone on here to do the right thing, but in reality, it just won't work. At least I don't think it will.

Edit: Sorry for the double post.

new_age_reject

Lives in dactylic hexameter.
Dec 28, 2008
Mr.Pandah said:
new_age_reject said:
Mr.Pandah said:
new_age_reject said:
Ok I have not read all 7 pages so I'm not sure if it has been said before but maybe a kinda point based karma system could be put in place.
If someone helps you out then you give them a plus point of karma and if someone acts a little foolishly then you add a negative point of karma (or take away from their good karma).
Of course this system could be abused but it could also help with the whole 'I've got more posts than you so you have to respect me' thing.
It would most definitely be abused sadly. The only way it wouldn't be abused is if say...the moderators gave someone a badge or something for being great on these boards. People could recommend others for this badge and what not, but that would ultimately lead to a big wank-off and we don't need anymore of that around here. Thats one of the major problems with some people around here sadly.
I do agree with what you said about it leading to a big wank off.
At the end of the day I believe that it all leads to trust. How much trust you want to give something ultimately leads to how successful it is. How are you gonna know if your kids are gonna behave when you leave them at home for the first time when you go to work, you wont know until you give them that first bit of trust.
Of course there are some kids that will purposely try and abuse that trust, but with others, that little bit of trust can go a long way.
Man, I totally agree with you on that. This is how I've been raised, and let me tell you, that trust goes for miles when you're a kid. However, when dealing with people online, its a whole different story sadly. Most people on here have a decent amount of common sense, and I don't think it would be abused...at first that is. I would love to trust everyone on here to do the right thing, but in reality, it just won't work. At least I don't think it will.

Edit: Sorry for the double post.
Unfortunately that is how the internet is.
There are a great deal of people out there who want to solely ruin other peoples fun and no matter how well protected something is, if it is on the internet, it will get tainted and warped by those few people who really don't give a damn.

Inverse Skies

Feb 3, 2009
Flap Jack452 said:
I dont think that you, Inverse Skies, has spent enough time at the site to witness the so called drastic changes you are describing. I have also not been here long enough. The only people who can truly say whether there has been real, drastic changes in the attitude of the members are those who are veterans of the site.
Also, with the site's increasing popularity it is only natural you will get a few rotten eggs that come in and act like jerks to every one else.
True, I haven't been here long enough to witness the drastic changes that I have described. Others have in other discussions I have had with them, and I was simply using that as a reference point when I wrote anything along those lines.

Inverse Skies

Feb 3, 2009
Mr.Pandah said:
You don't want to put a chokehold on people before you even know who they are. You end up alienating many people who would love to participate with the community.
Prehaps before they create their first thread they have to send a draft copy into a moderator first? It would allow the moderator to assess the thread as well as the person, for if the thread has shocking grammar/spelling issues or is simply a Yahtzee fanboy saying something irrelevant these sorts of issues could be stopped and corrected before the thread was even created. Then the newcomer would know the standards that we, as a community, expect and will be able to adjust their thread accordingly.

Flap Jack452

Jan 5, 2009
Inverse Skies said:
Flap Jack452 said:
I dont think that you, Inverse Skies, has spent enough time at the site to witness the so called drastic changes you are describing. I have also not been here long enough. The only people who can truly say whether there has been real, drastic changes in the attitude of the members are those who are veterans of the site.
Also, with the site's increasing popularity it is only natural you will get a few rotten eggs that come in and act like jerks to every one else.
True, I haven't been here long enough to witness the drastic changes that I have described. Others have in other discussions I have had with them, and I was simply using that as a reference point when I wrote anything along those lines.
I understand what you are getting at. I have noticed some snarky comments at the beginning of some threads, as if some people only want the first comment. After about the first five posts people actually begin discussing the topic intelligently. Being a relatively new member I assumed this is the way the site has always been.

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
Inverse Skies said:
Mr.Pandah said:
Prehaps before they create their first thread they have to send a draft copy into a moderator first? It would allow the moderator to assess the thread as well as the person, for if the thread has shocking grammar/spelling issues or is simply a Yahtzee fanboy saying something irrelevant these sorts of issues could be stopped and corrected before the thread was even created. Then the newcomer would know the standards that we, as a community, expect and will be able to adjust their thread accordingly.
Its a swell idea, but once again, I'm gonna play Devil's Advocate on this one and say that, mods can't babysit the forums so closely. I am sure that they are doing other things than just staring at the forums looking for something to happen. Thats what the Report button is for. I think that there should be a button that isn't as drastic as the Report button though. That would make it a bit easier on the thread creator, so if it ever does happen, they just get a PM about it, and not a suspension or ban.

When you start sending even more messages to the moderators, they have to split up their time even more than it probably already is. They may be able to hire more people to do just that, but thats too much manpower for something that someone can just lock when it is created anyways.

Inverse Skies

Feb 3, 2009
Flap Jack452 said:
I understand what you are getting at. I have noticed some snarky comments at the beginning of some threads, as if some people only want the first comment. After about the first five posts people actually begin discussing the topic intelligently. Being a relatively new member I assumed this is the way the site has always been.
Haha, I looked at it the other way and said 'why do we even need narky comments at the start of the thread?'. Then I found out what the site had been like before the ZP explosion, and that's when I started to worry.

Inverse Skies

Feb 3, 2009
Mr.Pandah said:
Its a swell idea, but once again, I'm gonna play Devil's Advocate on this one and say that, mods can't babysit the forums so closely. I am sure that they are doing other things than just staring at the forums looking for something to happen. Thats what the Report button is for. I think that there should be a button that isn't as drastic as the Report button though. That would make it a bit easier on the thread creator, so if it ever does happen, they just get a PM about it, and not a suspension or ban.

When you start sending even more messages to the moderators, they have to split up their time even more than it probably already is. They may be able to hire more people to do just that, but thats too much manpower for something that someone can just lock when it is created anyways.
Hmmm... a report button and a what? Standards button? I'm not sure to be honest.

Prehaps for peoples first hundred or so posts (some arbitary number anyway) a second button should be placed under their profile which alerts the moderators to the issues we've been discussing? Because not all the newcomers suffer from these problems. That would lessen the workload on the mods and still allow newcomers who don't quite know the standard we expect as a community be brought into line without the need for irate comments at the start of their threads.

Flap Jack452

Jan 5, 2009
Inverse Skies said:
Flap Jack452 said:
Haha, I looked at it the other way and said 'why do we even need narky comments at the start of the thread?'. Then I found out what the site had been like before the ZP explosion, and that's when I started to worry.
What had the site like before ZP, I've always been curious about that. I imagine it was a lot, lot smaller (obviously), put what type of things were discussed? And they certainly couldn't have had the number of threads we do today.

Inverse Skies

Feb 3, 2009
Flap Jack452 said:
ite had been like before the ZP explosion, and that's when I started to worry.
What had the site like before ZP, I've always been curious about that. I imagine it was a lot, lot smaller (obviously), put what type of things were discussed? And they certainly couldn't have had the number of threads we do today.[/quote]

Cheeze Pavillion posted a link to a discussion which happened two years ago, http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/6.42869

It's an interesting read. A lot more intelligent debate and less people butting in or deliberately trying to start a flame war.

Tullio

Dec 12, 2008
Pardon me if what I'm saying has been mentioned before, but I'm not reading through eight pages to check. I feel the following are detrimental to my enjoyment of the forums (In no order) , and hence the sense of community as I see it -

1. Seniority elitism. Being here longer has got nothing to do with how valuable, measured, or entertaining a member you are.

2. Moderator presence. I don't see much moderating going on. Threads get locked with no explanation, which doesn't help you by the way, mods. Tell people why the thread had become unacceptable, and then at least there's a definate reference point.

3. Unnessecary bile. There's not a lot of it here, admittedly, but seeing people post in threads clearly not designed for them (The atheists in religious threads, non-Nintendo fans in threads about Nintendo's core franchises etc) is just irritating. Nothing gets added to these discussions and no-one really derives any pleasure from it.

4. Moderator-sponsored Escapist frowning. By which I mean, allow members to criticise the Escapist and it's staff. I'm sorry, but if you won't allow a critique then you don't have much faith in your own product.

5. Ben Croshaw focus. Ok, this is more personal, but I feel that overmuch attention is given to one curmudgeon who frankly, discusses nothing. I wouldn't urge moderators to actively ban his discussion, but I do think they might want to consider encouraging discussion about all aspects of the Escapist

Knight Templar

Moved on
Dec 29, 2007
8 Pages and the forums stil suck? Quick we must bicker and point out the obvious for another 9!

Seriously if you want things back the way they were just be nice to people. I've said before I don't like the amount of people here, but the people themselves are mostly allright.

I see only four real problems right now:

1- People doing things for no reason. The big part of that is being rude but posting just to say "fix your spelling" isn't needed. If you have a problem, PM the person.

2- People not reading posts. At least try, these forums are not here for just you.

3- The mods being lenient. We get away with more than we should, everyone.

4- Whining about how the site has changed. It has, now get to work making the new one as good as the old. You can start by being nice insted of insulting people.

Flap Jack452

Jan 5, 2009
Inverse Skies said:
Flap Jack452 said:
ite had been like before the ZP explosion, and that's when I started to worry.
What had the site like before ZP, I've always been curious about that. I imagine it was a lot, lot smaller (obviously), put what type of things were discussed? And they certainly couldn't have had the number of threads we do today.
Cheeze Pavillion posted a link to a discussion which happened two years ago, http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/6.42869

It's an interesting read. A lot more intelligent debate and less people butting in or deliberately trying to start a flame war.[/quote]

Man each post like a paragraph long, not a one liner (like the one I'm doing). There was also a lot more moderator involvement.

cuddly_tomato

Nov 12, 2008
Aschenkatza said:
cuddly_tomato said:
Aschenkatza said:
Lastly, if people are not interested in a topic then do not fucking post. I am embarrassed to have to point this out, it like asking them to not throw shit at people.
"Lastly, if people are not interested in a topic, then do not post." Simple as that.
"I am surprised that I have to point this out." Your not embarrassed, your embarrassing [others].
I preferred it the way I said it. It is about the most common problem around here, people posting just because they can. It isn't necessary to post in a topic merely to let people know you don't like it.
I respect that opinion. I'm merely suggesting how you could have made your point without using negative words.
I agree with your idea 100%. If you don't like how a post is written or what the post is about, then leave and don't post.
Don't mistake emphasis for negativity. :D

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.94740

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.90056

Two threads locked, because of trolling, none of which was perpetrated the thread creators. I would personally like to see assholes dealt with rather than threads locked. It might take a bit more work at the start, but it will pay off in the long run as less moderator intervention will be necessary once certain people are shown the door.

GenHellspawn

Jan 1, 2008
Richard Groovy Pants said:
We have no powers. We can do nothing about it.
Moderators aren't the ones that make the community, we are. Granted, they serve a great purpose and do an excellent job at dealing with the problems they're faced with, but bowing down to them as supreme rulers and admitting powerlessness in the face of a higher power is foolish. They don't enjoy banning people, and why should they? I would assume they would rather have the problems with the existing population solved, rather than just have everybody be intimidated in the face of their power.

Duh

Feb 19, 2009
i dont know about you but im here because im bored, and not in the apropriate state of mind in orther to study

so GO TEAM RETARD

fat american

Apr 2, 2008
Mr.Pandah said:
I could have sworn there was a suggestion thread somewhere around here...

Edit: After having more time to read your post and actually think about it, here are my thoughts:

I'm in agreeance with letting newcomers slide a bit on the whole "repeat threads and overall not knowing forum guidelines" thing. Its a pretty different community we have here on the Escapist, but the last thing we want to do is alienate people by just simply banning them/putting them down with some comments about their spelling/grammar/face.

There are always others who just want to be jerks though and will troll, we just have to learn to weed out those ones better though.

As for other things that will improve the site...I guess there could be an actual "delete" button for your posts, instead of editing out a post. That is really all I've got as far as improving the site goes at the moment.
I agree, sometimes I feel I've made a mistake by posting and I can't just delete the stuff in the post to make it go away. For instance, sometimes I hit the reply button instead of the quote button on accident so I type away merrily thinking people will know what I'm responding to when, in actuality, I sound like the rambling mad man that I am.