To be a gamer, you MUST play...

teh_n00b_root

Sep 5, 2009
In my opinion, a gamer is someone who doesnt just play games for the graphics and realises that there is more to a game than high polygon counts or fancy shader effects.

Orcus The Ultimate

Nov 22, 2009
Lordmarkus said:
MrBacon said:
...and some might consider you unclean if you haven't played Final Fantasy.
Then I might just stop my daily showers now. JRPGs will never ever come inside my four walls.

OT: At least one retro game. Doesn't matter if it is Doom, 16-bit Zelda or whatever, at least one retro game, then you are a gamer.
i like your japanese character in Tintin as avatar!

Vidiot

May 23, 2008
Anyone who tells you what the holy grail of gaming is, and insists that you're not a "real" gamer unless you've played it is most likely an elitist prick. Gaming is a hobby, like any other. I know people who insist I'm not a real D&D player because I play 4th edition. Like anything else in life, it all comes down to personal taste.

Just remember to branch out once in a while and play demos for games you don't think you'll like. You may be surprised at what you never knew you were always looking for.

Sep 14, 2009
yeah this whole entitlement and elitism is sickening, there are people who have more passion about it, of course, but to label and try and cut people off is just elitist and makes me sick to think about that im supposedly "part of your demograph"

i wasn't thinking when i was younger..i sold both my kingdom hearts games, and i'd really really like those back, so if i saw them at a gamestop or something, i'd snatch them up even knowing itd cause me to go over on my check card

Lordmarkus

Jun 6, 2009
Orcus_35 said:
Lordmarkus said:
MrBacon said:
...and some might consider you unclean if you haven't played Final Fantasy.
Then I might just stop my daily showers now. JRPGs will never ever come inside my four walls.

OT: At least one retro game. Doesn't matter if it is Doom, 16-bit Zelda or whatever, at least one retro game, then you are a gamer.
i like your japanese character in Tintin as avatar!
...which now make me feel like a huge fucking hypocrite.

azncutthroat

May 13, 2009
Vidiot said:
Anyone who tells you what the holy grail of gaming is, and insists that you're not a "real" gamer unless you've played it is most likely an elitist prick. Gaming is a hobby, like any other. I know people who insist I'm not a real D&D player because I play 4th edition. Like anything else in life, it all comes down to personal taste.

Just remember to branch out once in a while and play demos for games you don't think you'll like. You may be surprised at what you never knew you were always looking for.
gmaverick019 said:
yeah this whole entitlement and elitism is sickening, there are people who have more passion about it, of course, but to label and try and cut people off is just elitist and makes me sick to think about that im supposedly "part of your demograph"

i wasn't thinking when i was younger..i sold both my kingdom hearts games, and i'd really really like those back, so if i saw them at a gamestop or something, i'd snatch them up even knowing itd cause me to go over on my check card
Couldn't agree more. "True-gamer" is no less an insult than un-American? or Real Men?.

The_Graff

Oct 21, 2009
Deus Ex (mention the sequal in any tone other than scorn and you are immediately disqualified)
System shock 2
Supreme Commander
Goldeneye

RegeM

Mar 18, 2010
It all depends on taste, i consider myself a gamer but i couldn't stand timesplitters (i just couldn't get into it) yet i know so many people that do. But i think the main thing to be a gamer is to actually play games and try new games. People that have all the Madden and FIFA and thats all they play i would never really classify as a gamer.

Also i think most gamers have to have fond memories of particular games they used to play. For instance i'm in the middle of a battle against Agatha for the third time this playthrough (pokémon)

Sakurazaki1023

Feb 15, 2010
I think being a gamer is more about being involved in the gaming community more than what games you play. The difference between many of the people on this site (who I assume would all call themselves gamers) and someone's grandmother who plays Wii sports occasionally, is simply that we take pride in the fact that we are gamers. We are part of a community of people with a shared interest in video games and the culture that surrounds it.

Koganesaga

Feb 11, 2010
Depends on what genre you play, if you play RTS, you should play starcraft at some point, if you're a JRPG, legend of dragoon, and golden sun, and if you play FPS's, should probably play one of the 3 halo games, as each of these games made a huge impact on their genre worlds.

vector13578

Aug 25, 2009
I would say just playing games on a consistent basis will make someone a gamer, but my brain is telling me to write:

-More knowledge of fps's before Halo 3 (I'm so tired of hearing people say something's a copy of Halo 3 like it made the fps genre)
-At least played 20 minutes to an hour of any of these three games: Perfect Dark (original 64 version, haven't tried the one released to live arcade yet), Parasite Eve 1 or 2, and any Final Fantasy game.

EDIT: Whoops, that should be "or any Final Fantasy game."

Guy Montag

Jan 9, 2010
... non-casual games.

I hate the term "gamer" though, because when someone says it nine times out of ten they're trying to sell you something.

Anticitizen_Two

Jan 18, 2010
Baby Tea said:
Super Mario Bros.
It's what got so many people into games, it's what so many people, gamers and non-gamers alike think of when they think of video games, and it's just plain, simple fun.
Plus the music is freaking awesome.
This, this, this, and this.

JMan

Jun 18, 2008
I think to really be a gamer you have to at least have tried almost ever genre out there, like more than one, and play games more than just two hours a week. Also, I believe that you don't have to enjoy the classics but you have to at the most respect the classics to be a real gamer.

hannan4mitch

Jan 19, 2010
You cannot call yourself a fan of RTS if you haven't played any of Sid Meyer's games
Either Civilization or Alpha Centauri (my personal favorite)

MetaKnight19

Jul 8, 2009
As everyone who has previously posted, you need to play games to be a gamer. I don't buy into the whole 'hardcore/true gamer' label anyway, I don't really see the point.