To miss the perfect oppertunity..

Exia91

Jul 7, 2010
Hey all!

Many of you will probably know about MMOs. A smaller amount will have heard of Guild Wars 2. An even less amount of people will know about the production-cycle (of an MMO).

Guildwars 2 has been announced in 2007 as The MMO who will do things radically different. Their aim was to innovate and be original. Now the production has been taking many years, and will most likely take another year at least, and for that reason I ended up in a discussion with several friends about missing the perfect oppertunity to release.

The innovative aspects that are implemented as copied by other MMO('s producers), like Firefall, with a dynamic combat system and dynamic events effecting the environment if not completed succesfully. (A merchant is not around if a town is destroyed by a horde of enemies unless you stop them. etc.) These other MMO's are actually announced much later and are finished already, or are soon to be finished.

By the time Guild Wars 2 reaches the shelves their 'originality' is long gone. That is, to my idea, the reason why Guild Wars 2 has missed its prime moment to launch the game.

I know people are still excited for the game, but it makes me wonder. People who have heard of the project years back, and who are less fans than the GW1-players, might have already given up on the game due to its long production cycle.

TLDR; Is it possible for a developer to take too long to produce a game so that the hype is lost over the years time? And thus, is launched with a smaller impact as it might had halfway through the development cycle?

ShindoL Shill

Truely we are the Our Avatars XI
Jul 11, 2011
well isnt that what pretty much happened with DNF. it took too long, and then new FPS styles and trends came around and they said 'we need to add that, its what everyone likes.' and then the finished product was DNF.
so yes.

JoshGod

Aug 31, 2009
People who play mmo's sink years into them, you would think they would rather have a good one than an early one, sure people may play other mmo's to fill the void, but most people will move on to the latest/biggest mmo and it's the best mmo's which will attract the most players and retain them.

Stall

Apr 16, 2011
Usually, you know a developer is taking too long when they have to start battling against the stigma of vaporware. For most of GW2's development cycle, most people assumed the game to be vaporware. Heck, I am sure there are plenty of people who still do have a feeling that the game is vaporware.

Unfortunately, taking too long for MMOs is a bit of a kiss of death, as you discussed. Not only does the originality slowly decrease, but the people following the game start to give less and less of a shit after the constant pushbacks. It's common practice for people to really follow an MMO before its release, and the longer you go without a strong release date, then the harder it gets for people to follow the game.