To Spoil or Not to Spoil

Kameburger

Turtle king
Apr 7, 2012
I don't know, I've always been of the opinion that if you don't like spoilers its your own responsibility to avoid them.

I'm not always good at this myself but there are times when I care, and times when I really don't. J.J. Abrams has burned me on his idea of twists, so if he's at the helm I really could care less. I avoided spoilers for Star Trek 2 for so long thinking it was something big and important, only to find out that all I was avoiding was something that I had completely guessed when Cumberbatch was appeared in the casting announcement.

Disney films, I don't watch to be surprised, or in fact movies. Ender's Game I felt should not be spoiled if it could be helped but also that means you can't criticize the movie because essentially what made that book good was how the twist came out, and it is the reason that this book was one of my favorite books to this day. (Opinion of the author excluded)

I do hate seeing spoilers for game of thrones, but they've been easy to avoid for the most part, and I also recognize that I do wait too long to avoid them sometimes.

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
Spoilers and what constitutes them are more of a question of "what is it important to find out via the movie?" as a measure of what constitutes a spoiler than anything else. For example:

Sixth Sense: Bruise Willis was a Ghost the entire time and the kid could only interact with him because he could see him.

Frozen: The prince turns out to be not prince charming, but a power hungry noble with the aim of using the girls to ascend to the throne.

The Lego Movie: It was all in the imagination of a boy.

And so on...

Things that really aren't spoilers aren't critical to the movie or have already been mentioned in the long-form trailers don't constitute spoilers, such as:

Star Trek Into Darkness: He was Khan.

Maleficent: Maleficent loosing her wings.[footnote]How she lost her wings is an open question of whether that constitutes a spoiler. The trailer [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-XO4XiRop0] that reveals this fact does not mention how, and implicitly hints that it was lost in battle rather than the betrayal it actually was.[/footnote]