To those with experience programming...

stinkypitz

Jan 7, 2008
I've taken a course in Java and made some text based adventure games and the like, and I'm fairly familiar with the language now (that and visual basic, which isn't my cup of tea especially for making games). I have a great idea for a game and I've already coded the groundwork for it, but I want to know if Java is a feasible language for it. The game I have in mind can be compared to Castlevania: SotN in terms of complexity and graphics. I was wondering if I should get off my ass and start learning C++ (which I inevitably will anyways) or continue the project in Java. I dont have much experience with graphics in coding so that will be my biggest hurdle. I also considered Game Maker but I feel like thats cheating.

Wolf Devastator

Doomsday Arcade Fanatic
Nov 12, 2008
I use Gamemaker, and I'm pretty sure it could make a Castlevania game just fine (my only doubt is because I've never played a Castlevania game before).

stinkypitz

Jan 7, 2008
Thats good to hear, I feel much more comfortable programming in Java. The only thing I'm stumped about is how to make a sidescroller control well on a PC, I'm toying around with the idea of using the mouse to aim weapons, but I've never seen that very well done before in this type of game.

Proteus214

Game Developer
Jul 31, 2009
Oh good lord, stay away from Java. C++, C#, lua, or actionscript are the best places to start. C++ is a tad more difficult. You will want to start with a fairly fleshed out middleware like XNA to get yourself off the ground.

dorkette1990

Mar 1, 2010
The way java versus C++ were explained to me was thus: Java stops you from shooting yourself in the foot, and C++ lets you blow off your entire leg... but sometimes you need to take off that leg to improve it. C++ lets you do tons more... but castlevania's not complicated.

stinkypitz

Jan 7, 2008
Well I'm comparing it to Castlevania in terms of graphical style, but as far as gameplay goes its a tad different (guns, a lasso that grabs enemies) so just using a keyboard can be a bit restrictive, but I suppose if Contra can do it so can I. I will look into C++, but I dont want to overwhelm myself too much.

Deshin

Aug 31, 2010
Experience in C# and VB here, doing a 2 year Java course soon.

I'd say go for the C++ and work up from that but at the same time try doing it in Java. Ideally it *can* be done using either but depends on what you're good at. If your skill with Java is quite good then it'd take much longer to get C++ to that level to code it.

Worst case scenario you code in Java now and then do it again in C++ down the line, earning you a buttload of programming experience in the process.

stinkypitz

Jan 7, 2008
AjimboB said:
stinkypitz said:
Well I'm comparing it to Castlevania in terms of graphical style, but as far as gameplay goes its a tad different (guns, a lasso that grabs enemies) so just using a keyboard can be a bit restrictive, but I suppose if Contra can do it so can I. I will look into C++, but I dont want to overwhelm myself too much.
So in that case, it would be more like Metroid than Castlevania.
Your right, it would be. The shooting in Metroid is pretty good, I will just have to design the game around the player having limited directions in which to shoot.

TriggerHappyAngel

Self-Important Angler Fish
Feb 17, 2010
i use C# myself and it's a very flexible programming language, i use it to make 3D games, but you can make 2D games with it just as easy

Danzaivar

Jul 13, 2004
The language isn't important, it's what Graphics libraries you use that matter. If you're new to it then I'd recommend XNA, but I don't think you can use XNA with Java. You'd probably need to use OpenGL, so good luck with, lol.

- - -

You can use C# with XNA though. C# is pretty much the same as Java, just a couple of subtle differences.

Draxis

Aug 11, 2008
Minecraft is written in java. I wouldnt worry much about learning any object oriented language though, if you can use java well, neither c++ or c# should be much of a jump - Getting your head round OO is much harder than learning a new syntax for using it.

More Fun To Compute

Nov 18, 2008
Java should be fine for that sort of game but you would probably have to find a good set of game dev libraries for OpenGL, OpenAL, timing and so on.

A good option is C and SDL.

I don't really recommend C# unless you have already decided that you want to go down the .net route in terms of programming and stick on it. Most game coding projects and examples are in C or C++.

stinkypitz said:
Thats good to hear, I feel much more comfortable programming in Java. The only thing I'm stumped about is how to make a sidescroller control well on a PC, I'm toying around with the idea of using the mouse to aim weapons, but I've never seen that very well done before in this type of game.
This *might* be useful, or at least a bit interesting.

http://www.happypenguin.org/show?Abuse-SDL