To what extent should the western world go to prevent World War 3?

The Lea

Oct 11, 2008
I'm a 26 year old guy from Sweden who follows the politics and developments in the rest of the world to the best of my capabilities and try to form an opinion. And an opinion I now have.

My question to this community today is this: Is the survival of the entire human race and all our achievments more important than the wellbeing of only a small part of it?

I don't think you even have to watch the news and read up on things on the internet to feel that we're all heading towards a big (bad) event.

We have the terror groups and fundamentalist islamist crowd, their values so far from the western world that they cannot co-exist on any plane of existance. Their numbers are - from what I can see - growing, and their goals are clear: Rule the world with their religion and its teachings.
There are entire governments in the arab world giving these people support and supplies.
With this "Arab spring" being hijacked by the Muslim Brotherhood, it only grows more pressing.
There's a very good saying for my feelings on this: "Fear not the man with a thousand nuclear bombs, dread the man with only one."

Then there's the situation in Africa, dictators soaking up all of the aid we send to the people in poverty, no doubt spending the money on a combination of personal luxury, weapons and terrorist funding. Then unstabilizing the situation even more.

Now someone will probably pipe up saying "But what about China! They are a global superpower now!". Then I'll say "They'll just buy us in a couple of decades unless someone pushes the big red M.A.D button."

These issues are in my opinion the most pressing ones to solve before we move on to our own problems in the west. It's not like Angela Merkel is on the brink of breaking out the tanks and invading Poland, and we can bang on about the downsides of capitalism or our present politics, but they wont threaten our very lives to the extent that the fundamentalists and random dictators across the world does.

Sure, most people feel the way I do, but what do they want to do about the situation? Do you wish to make a huge parkinglot out of the problematic areas, or do you have a non-violent solution you would like to share? Certainly there are people with more insights into the workings of the world than me in here. Go on, share.

Synek

Mar 31, 2009
The problem is that it's pretty much impossible to stop.
We got people that wants to whipe out science and all that free thought,countries that are ruled by greed and consumerism,leaders that live in a white/black morality and tries to be good to all people and ignore the problems it causes *cough*sweden*cough*,short term economy thinking,forcing democracy instead of letting the country grow into it and over expanding population growth in the east.

I think it will happen in stages.
The first wave will be when the religious/cultural boiling point is hit.
The second wave is the eastern countries requiring more resources to maintain population and since the western countries are to occupied by internal conflicts.

And if it doesn't happen stagnation will instead start,that is untill the next mass extintion plague hits the world.

A lot of problems could be solved just by not being so damn nice all the time.