Today is Inspirational Women's Day

PsychicTaco115

I've Been Having These Weird Dreams Lately...
Legacy
Mar 17, 2012
Country
United States
Colour-Scientist said:
Don't worry about it.
Surely your not that afraid of people yelling at you on the Escapist. :D
I am ;__;

I just want to be liked!... or tolerated >.>

OT: You know who else was an influential woman? Joan of Arc

Teen girl turning the odds in the Hundred Years' War? HELLZ YEAH!

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
PsychicTaco115 said:
Let's see...

Lucem712, Vault101, Phasmal, Chemical Alia, Eclipse Dragon, Backstabber

They're all pretty inspirational to me XD
0_0....

uhhh well....cna;t say I disagree XD

OT: while I'm not sure I'd use the word "inspirational" internet reveiwer Nchick is somone who I think is really cool

Ishal

Oct 30, 2012
Vault101 said:
PsychicTaco115 said:
Let's see...

Lucem712, Vault101, Phasmal, Chemical Alia, Eclipse Dragon, Backstabber

They're all pretty inspirational to me XD
0_0....

uhhh well....cna;t say I disagree XD

OT: while I'm not sure I'd use the word "inspirational" internet reveiwer Nchick is somone who I think is really cool
I'll agree with PsychicTaco. Its good that we have females on the forums here and that they don't get alienated by many of the stupid arse topics and arguments here. I also enjoy Vault's Avatars :)

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
Well, Inspirational Women's Day is over, and I'm still up. No better time than now to wrap up the thread with a photo from The Atlantic. "Spoiler'd" for size.
A woman shouts slogans as she protests violence against women, at the close of the National Meeting of Rural Women in Brasilia, Brazil, on February 21, 2013. (Reuters/Ueslei Marcelino)
[/spoiler]
Source: The Atlantic [http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2013/03/international-womens-day-2013/100470/#]

saintdane05

Aug 2, 2011
My mother, for managing to get a county sponsored skate park for disabled children and veterans put together.

MrMixelPixel

Jul 7, 2010
Well this woman right here is pretty inspirational!

I've just re-watched the series, forgive me.

BathorysGraveland2

Feb 9, 2013
I'm going to simply go with the generic route and say my mother and grandmother. For the most part, they've been the only women in my life and have made the most impact and been the most supportive. My grandmother is in poorer health and she wishes to see me make something of myself before she passes along, so that's a hell of an inspiration/motivation right there.

felbot

May 11, 2011
wait what? the national women's day was yesterday, not today, op your being silly with the dates.

although we didn't have any thread like this yesterday anyway so i guess we might as well have it today, better late then never.

on topic, I have always been inspired by the tale of Saint Lucia who according to the story was a small blonde girl who lived in Rome and was constantly giving to the poor and needy, this got the attention of the emperor who wanted to have saint Lucia as his wife because of her kindness.

saint Lucia declined as being married may take away time giving to the poor of Rome which made the emperor furious, but saint Lucia did not change her mind about it no matter how much the emperor begged, so she got thrown in to prison.

cant remember the rest of the story though, some other versions has her ripping her own eyes out, which I never heard about in Sweden.

id also like thank my own mother for all she has done for me through the years, if I was a Christian id call her a saint.

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
felbot said:
wait what? the national women's day was yesterday
Yes, that's correct. My original posting was yesterday, March 8, a little after 14:16 for me (East Coast USA) ;)

That would have made it 20:16 local time for you I believe, so you would have missed it.

felbot

May 11, 2011
FizzyIzze said:
felbot said:
wait what? the national women's day was yesterday
Yes, that's correct. My original posting was yesterday, March 8, a little after 14:16 for me (East Coast USA) ;)

That would have made it 20:16 local time for you I believe, so you would have missed it.
well that just makes it weirder because i was here during that time, your thread must have fallen off the front page or i missed it.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
Rosie. Best Dark Souls PvP around.

Then again, on the internet, who knows...

(Honestly though, I can't think of any who inspire me off the top of my head. Sure, Marie Curie did some great things, but I'm not awed by it. Maybe Olivia Armstrong. Or Chell.)

Angie7F

WiseGurl
Nov 11, 2011
maybe Maggie Thatcher or Meryl Streep.
Yeah, I just saw the movie Iron Lady...

Harley Q

Oct 11, 2009
You know what, I'm going to go with Felicia Day. I find her inspiring. No she may not have fought in WWII or discovered a cure for cancer but she inspires me. She was always open and honest about who she was and did what she wanted anyway. She wanted to keep creative control of her projects and was one of the first people to establish well constructed web shows. I am a huge fan of her work.

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
My mom.

Also, I read 'The Egyptian' as a kid, and Nefernefernefer probably was someone I admired. I didn't want to be her, and she scared me, but I could recognise she was her own woman in a society where women had no equal opportunities.

SPOILERS:

The main character, as a revenge, drugs her, and delivers her to the embalmers, claiming he found this beautiful dead woman, knowing that the embalmers rape beautiful corpses, and would never let this living woman go.

But she manipulates the whole house of death, takes control of the place and walks out of there telling them she will come back later to take all of their money.

I named my cat after her.

Calibanbutcher

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2009
Spinozaad said:
Calibanbutcher said:
#2: Ayaan Hirsi Ali. Now she is certainly inspirational.
Why, if I might ask?
Read a little about her, if you still need an explanation after reading this, I probably won't be able to offer anything that satisfies you_ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ayaan_Hirsi_Ali
Enjoy.

generals3

Mar 25, 2009
Total LOLige said:
generals3 said:
I do wonder though. If today is women's day, does that man the other 364 days are men's day?
It's international men day on November 19th according to Wikipedia.

I can't really think of any women(other than my mother) that have inspired me, I can't think of any men either.
Damn, now my joke is ruined :(