Today's PS3 Update Completes PSN to SEN Transformation

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Yal said:
There is only one logical conclusion: They are phasing out the PlayStation brand and when they announce their next gen console it will have a entirely new name.
Holy controversy Batman!, I'm more inclined to what this guy said. Kaz Hirai already said he would make a few changes in the corporation... let the rampant speculation begin!

OT: Sen... meh, it's still PSN for me, but I'll eventually get used to it though.

Doneeee

Dec 27, 2011
You know what? My PSN is REfanPSN so I will always be a defecter! Haha sony what'll you do? 'logs in' :O my name is now REfanSEN! SOOOOOOONY!

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
There's a browser???

If you say so. We will have to make sure that they never forget PSN... by updating wikipedia loyally /sarcasm.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Greg Tito said:
Oh hey, in case you were one of the 7 people who used it, version 4.1 of the system software also speeds up the PS3's internet browser.
Man, that would have been so useful 2 weeks ago when my computer decided it was not long for this world and had a rather catastrophic failure to the point where I had to build a new one. While I waited for the parts to be delivered my only internet browser available to me was the one on my PS3(and PSP I guess...). It would freeze the system repeatedly but at least I could view this site's content, a google search on the other hand would fill the system cache on page one and crash the browser...

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
Was that what that was? From the download it just seemed like they were improving their internet browser, bringing with it a glimmer of hope that they'd finally upgrade the damn flash player past Macromedia's release.

Rheinmetall

May 13, 2011
Dooly95 said:
Rheinmetall said:
Sony erased the "Playstation" name from its online service. This happened for a very specific and serious reason, though I'm not sure which. Maybe their future plans don't involve the next Playstation, or a traditional game console as we know it.
Just a thought. Time will show what they really had in mind.
Really? Because where else would they go? The portable market? (laughs at Vita's sales)

I can't see this anything more than a ploy to, as the article says, distance themselves from the PSN hack.

The name PlayStation is now synonymous with a game console, along with the Xbox and the Wii/Nintendo. While I can't disagree that it could be because it's a name change in the future, I seriously doubt a name change in the works without changing their sales demographic.
What the article says, that they want to distance themselves from the PSN hack is a very wrong interpretation. You don't abandon so easily the PlayStation brand name for a reason like this, unless your company is going to follow some totally new strategy.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
Oh cool, the browser got optimized. I actually do use it. And it's handy.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
And who says Sony doesn't support the ps3?...
Oh yea, that's me.

Greg Tito said:
Oh hey, in case you were one of the 7 people who used it, version 4.1 of the system software also speeds up the PS3's internet browser.
What does that mean, the internet browser will freeze up the ps3 twice as fast?
The only thing that freezes my ps3 faster is a Bethesda game.

Dooly95 said:
Rheinmetall said:
Sony erased the "Playstation" name from its online service. This happened for a very specific and serious reason, though I'm not sure which. Maybe their future plans don't involve the next Playstation, or a traditional game console as we know it.
Just a thought. Time will show what they really had in mind.
Really? Because where else would they go? The portable market? (laughs at Vita's sales)

I can't see this anything more than a ploy to, as the article says, distance themselves from the PSN hack.

The name PlayStation is now synonymous with a game console, along with the Xbox and the Wii/Nintendo. While I can't disagree that it could be because it's a name change in the future, I seriously doubt a name change in the works without changing their sales demographic.
They do already have a cloud system set up for ps plus but right now it's just for saves. They might want to do an onlive type thing.
I've often thought that the ps3 would be Sony's Dreamcast but maybe that honor will go to the ps4.