Today's "Recommend an Anime" thread, brought to you by Zhukov.

Ishigami

Sep 1, 2011
Knife said:
Trigun is like freaking Looney Tunes. Cowboy Bebop is a masterpiece with emotional depth.
And just like that you lost all credibility...

Just because there is humor doesn't mean there is absence of emotional depth. You want to see Man of Steel done right? Watch freakn Trigun.
Seriosuly you have no idea.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Tizzy's not here?

Baccano!

You have to watch Baccano!, it's about a series of events set in prohibition era america between various gangs, a few mad old alchemists, bootleggers and sociopaths. It's 13 episodes and 3 OVA's long and the dub is utterly excellent and you simply must watch it, it'sd like a great crime thriller with an anime twist.

It's also very satisfying once it all makes sense, since the first few episodes are confusing due to it's non-linear nature.

Edit: If you need to lose a week I recommend One Piece. Excellent long running shounen, each arc stands alone as a good story, it has excellent characters with endearing personalities and has been known to make the most hardened of men have the feels.

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
Hagi said:
Planetes: A story about orbital garbage men and women. It's hard sci-fi and greatly enjoyable.
I was about to say that one. Beautiful series, a real hommage to space exploration. Surprisingly realistic, both technologically and culturally. Good characters, good story and a very good soundtrack as well. One of the best sci-fi anime.

I suppose I owe it to myself to recommend Gundam as well, but while I love them, I will never claim that they are actually good. The ones I would call good are:

- G-Gundam. Look past the ridiculousness of it all and you'll find some true greatness.
- The first season of Gundam 00. The second season is a cliché-filled mess, such a shame. But for me the end of season 1 was very satisfying anyway.
- Gundam 0083: Stardust Memory. 13-episode OVA series. The story takes a bit of a dip halfway (director switch), but it's still good. Mechanical designs by Hajime Katoki (which means: awesome).
- The 08th MS Team. 12-episode OVA series. The most 'realistic' Gundam series, with good fun characters.
- Gundam Unicorn. 7-episode OVA series, the last episode will be released next year. One word: amazing. (again, Hajime Katoki)

Stryc9

Elite Member
Nov 12, 2008
Legion said:
Stryc9 said:
So if you dug Ghost in the Shell there's more now, they're doing a four part thing called Arise that shows how Section 9 comes into existence. Here's the fist part on Amazon Instant Video for $7.99, I've seen it and it was pretty good.

http://www.amazon.com/Ghost-Shell-Arise-Border-Pain/dp/B00G0ASR0O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1387479041&sr=8-1&keywords=Ghost+in+the+Shell+Arise

There's another part that just came out in Japan at the end of last month plus two more parts at least still to come.
I agree that Arise is a very good one. It is in it's own separate canon (as far as I am aware), a little like how the original GitS and Stand Alone Complex are separate.

Some of the die-hard fans don't like it, but personally I think they have done a fantastic job with it so far. The music doesn't stand out as much, but the characters are still great, as is the style and the setting. I especially love Motoko and Batou's rivalry in this version.
I've not had the chance to see Ghost Whispers yet and I definitely get the impression that it's another canon altogether though there are some saying it's a prequel to the 1995 movie.

mitchell271

Sep 3, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:
Kill la Kill is by the same guys who made Gurren Lagann.

It's over the top and ridiculous, but it's very self aware of the fact.

It's a love letter to anime, but it's not afraid to mock it.
Oh Daystar, however did I know you'd be here, and recommending Kill La Kill no less! I must be psychic!

OT: There's a lot of good and a lot of bad. Here are some basics though.
- anything by Mamoru Hosoda. He's been called the next Miyazaki for a reason, he's incredible. I think he might even be better than Miyazaki.
- Silver Spoon is by the same mangaka as Fullmetal Alchemist but instead of a fantasy/action, it's an educational slice-of-life comedy and one of my favourites from 2013
- Karas is absolutely beautiful, but makes no goddamn sense
- Beelzebub is a shonen with great humour and doesn't outstay its welcome, with only 60 episodes, which is much less than most shonen

Shanahanapp

Apr 8, 2013
Well seeing as it hasn't been mentioned yet I guess I'll throw in:

- Toaru Majutsu no Index. Basically about a world in which basically superpowers and magic both exist and are always kind of at war. Told from the perspective of a schoolboy (big surprise) who ends up always getting wrapped up in it. Kinda silly at times but good and action and some great characters.

Also yeah, watch Death Note (honestly I enjoyed all of it even the second series which a lot of people seem to hate) if you want some great talky intrigue, and Code Geass if you want some great mecha-actiony intrigue.

Apr 28, 2008
Fullmetal Alchemist is a good one. Either the original or Brotherhood. The difference between the two is that Brotherhood follows the manga, while the original splits off and does its own thing half-way through the show.

But yeah, both are good. I'd recommend 'em.

Oh, and Persona 4 The Animation. It's basically the game, in anime form. It's really good. And a great way to experience the story if you don't have 120+ (that's my time with it, at least...) hours to put into the game.

WouldYouKindly

Apr 17, 2011
I'd like to put Spice and Wolf up for another recommendation. It's an excellent romantic comedy anime that has somewhat realistic characters. There's no love at first sight bull shit. Instead, their relationship develops one long periods of traveling together.

Gunslinger Girl is one I haven't seen recommended yet. The series as a whole is an examination of why we might let atrocities go if they are committed by someone cute with a tragic backstory. Basically you've got young girls(mostly mid teens with a few older) turned into cyborg assassins by the government to do their dirty work.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
TizzytheTormentor said:
SkarKrow said:
Tizzy's not here?
Gah! I was at dinner with the family!

Baccano!

You have to watch Baccano!, it's about a series of events set in prohibition era america between various gangs, a few mad old alchemists, bootleggers and sociopaths. It's 13 episodes and 3 OVA's long and the dub is utterly excellent and you simply must watch it, it'sd like a great crime thriller with an anime twist.

It's also very satisfying once it all makes sense, since the first few episodes are confusing due to it's non-linear nature.
Everything here is what I would say, its my all-time favorite and if you liked Cowboy Bebop, you will likely love Baccano, one of the best dubs ever, turning it into a supernatural crime thriller with a sense of authenticity (its set in 1930's New York) Its filled with crazy psychopaths, thieves, killers, mafia, immortals and all that jazz.

Its a 16 EP ride that will keep you hooked from start to finish, all characters being memorable and its non-linear structure means you have to piece it together, the first ep will have you confused, but once you watch the whole series and seethe first ep again, you will understand it all!

mitchell271 said:
- Beelzebub is a shonen with great humour and doesn't outstay its welcome, with only 60 episodes, which is much less than most shonen
Wished it kept going, the manga only got better and better, it stopped before some of the most important parts of the story...

Ahahahahaha!

How does it feel? How does it feel to be the ninjad for once!?

Mmmm. Your anguish.

It sustains me!

AceTrilby

Dec 24, 2008
Black Lag-DAMN IT.

Welcome to the party, pal. I recommend Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood for an action adventure mood, and Clannad for a sissy baby (read: emotionally powerful) mood.

Now, I could go over why I think they're so great, or I could try and increase the traffic to my Wordpress blog where I review anime. Decisions...

http://acetrilby.wordpress.com/2013/09/16/fullmetal-alchemist-brotherhood-review/
http://acetrilby.wordpress.com/2013/10/29/clannad-review/

Regardless, they're both excellent in the writing, acting, and animation departments. Everything a growing anime watcher needs.

Kittyhawk

Aug 2, 2012
Welcome, Zhukov.

Don't feel bad. Like games, there's good anime out there to enjoy.

Baccano is a must. Its short at 16 episodes but good. Great characters and world.

Legend of the Galactic Heroes is possibly the most epic anime I've seen, but you'd have to circle deep fan sub waters to find it. It should meet all of your sci-fi and deep political intrigue story needs. Its certainly an anime series to see in your life time. Just a pity it may never come to the west.

Space Dandy. This is due to start soon. Keep an eye out for it.

Space Adventure Cobra tv series. Old school anime sci fi with a dose of comedy.

Dirty Pair tv series: More good old school anime sci fi courtesy of Discotek

Space Brothers. Interesting series about brothers going into space.

Moonlight Mile. Space exploration with a dose of secret militarism in the future.

Special mentions for Cowboy Bebop and Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood. Both awesome.

Knife

Mar 20, 2011
Ishigami said:
Just because there is humor doesn't mean there is absence of emotional depth. You want to see Man of Steel done right? Watch freakn Trigun.
Seriosuly you have no idea.
I'm fine with humour. Trigun goes past humour and straight into absurd, bordering on self parody. That was probably the most serious part of the show. Yet it was still hard taking seriously with the guy waving around a gun bigger than him in one hand, and the gun being shaped like a cross.

The key to emotional depth is making a connection with a character thanks to that character being believable and likeable. The story of death and redemption is pretty hollow if the show didn't make me care for that character to begin with. The fact the show uses violence for comic relief in one part and for dramatic effect in the other doesn't help much either. The last billion bullets were played for laughs, why should I care about the last one? Because the people behind the show want me to?

You want me to care about the world and characters in it? Make them consistent. And if they aren't consistent, make a good reason why not. The whole "I had no problem killing people and then laughing about it, but then I met a bunch of naive guys who told me not to, so I listened and turned my back on an enemy with a loaded weapon, which got me killed - so it's all ok now" isn't as much deep as it is dumb.

Steriotype

Dec 19, 2013
Seriously, why has no one has mentioned Psycho-Pass yet? It fits what he wants perfectly.

Anyways, while I'm here I'll resuggest and add some of my own suggestions for stuff to watch based off your preference:
Gungrave
Hellsing
Fate Zero
Planetes
Eve no Jikan
Darker Than Black
Seirei no Moribito
Sarai-ya Goyou
Death Note
Monster
Rainbow: Nisha Rokubou no Shichinin
Kino no Tabi: The Beautiful World
Berserk

Aaaand now for stuff you MAY like, may not:
Monogatari Series - just watch in released order(Baka,Nise, Neko, Second Season). Nisemonogatari (second released) was like 50% fanservice throughout the entire season, but it was still smart and witty when it needed to be. Plus the fanservice is original and funny relatively speaking (toothbrush anyone, hehe). It's a great anime with wonderful dialogue (so find a good subbing of it cause the dialogue is pretty important to get right) and visual appeal.

Silver Spoon - It is driven by comedy, but give it a try. It makes farming seem really interesting, thats telling you something

Usagi Drop - One of my favs, watch first couple eps to see if you're interested or not: its ordinary slice of life of raising a kid alone.

Mushishi - Man walks around helping people deal with beings that only he can really see but effect people's lives. Super serious, but laid back. Each episode is its own story alot of the time.

Nodame Cantabile - about classical music school. Awesome character development, love story in there.

Spice and Wolf - A more grown up love story than your standard formulation in anime. Interesting story too.

thesilentman

What this
Jun 14, 2012
Darker than Black is a good anime. Due to how it's presented, anything could be a spoiler; so get ready and watch for yourself.

I also see some Mardock Scramble recommended by Legion, and I approve. In fact, I got interested in the movies because he mentioned it here on the Escapist.

If you're into some absurdist black comedy, look no further than Sayonara Zetsobou Sensei. It's pretty hilarious black comedy, give it a shot.

I can't recommend Bakemonogatari (I have no idea how this is spelled) or the other works, but I'm sure that they'll suffice as well.

Also.

You.

Must.

Watch.

Akira.

See anime at it's finest, even though it's old. It's absolutely killer. =P

Coakle

Nov 21, 2013
Best Bet - Monster

Stingers: Only need to watch the first episode because your time is important to us.

1. Hanasaku Iroha - A girl is sent to work for her Grandmother at a hot springs over the summer. The first episode is phenomenal in creating the atmosphere of just starting a real, blue collared job. It gets real bad, real fast after that.

2. Kyousogiga - Tells a whole story in one episode. The visuals are very pretty and the characters are endearing.

Traditional Action: Superheroes

1. The Unlimited - Hyoubu Kyousuke : Basically the anime version of X-Men. It's a lot of fun.

2. Tiger and Bunny - Heroics are kinda like NASCAR in this universe. A new Superhero turns up to, eventually, replace the main character, who is getting on in years.

Low Key: No explosions. Also no "cute girls, doing cute things".

1. Usagi Drop - Single father raises a kid.
It focuses on the Father and other parents. It deals with not being ready to have kids, the feelings of being trapped with your spouse, and other family dynamics. To be clear, it's not doom and gloom. The show wants to tell some stories, not exploit the audience into feeling sad.

2. Natsume and the Book of Friends - If a sweet, 80 year-old made an anime.
Natsume can see spirits which made it difficult for him to get out of the Foster Care system. He finds a book which belonged to his Grandmother, who could also see spirits. It's not childish, it doesn't try hard to be mature. It's dull in a few places, but there's something that makes it really watchable. I'll call it compelling.

3. Kids on a Slope: The story of two guys bonding and becoming friends over their mutual love of Jazz
Set in the Summer of 1966. Great soundtrack.

SPORTS!: SPORTS! SPORTS! SPORTS!

1. Chihayafuru - A girl starts a club, so she can be the greatest Karuta player in the world.
It's the greatest sports anime ever. Karuta knowledge is not needed.

2. One Outs - It's about a cunning Baseball pitcher.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
Anything by Hayao Miyazaki and Satoshi Kon
Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Fullmetal Alchemist and Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood
Baccano
Trigun
The Big O
Jin-roh: the Wolf Brigade

I know these have been mentioned before, but they're all worth watching.

Edit: has Summer Wars been mentioned yet? That's a really good movie...

Kitsune Hunter

What a beautiful Duwang!
Dec 18, 2011
I highly recommend Hunter X Hunter 2011, it's about a boy called Gon as he tries to find his father while training to become a strong Hunter like his father. Although Gon trying to find his father isn't the main focus of the story and focuses more on Gon's development as a Hunter and each arc tackles different aspects such as revenge, true strength, genocide etc.. It's takes a very different approach to the shonen genre in that it's a deconstruction, battles are more strategic, Nen, the power of the series is very well established with a set of rules and conditions on Nen abilities, meaning that all battle depends on strategy with no random powerups or deus ex machina. The characters are what makes the series good, they're all likeable, interesting and have pretty dark moments as well, but it's the villains that are the most well developed in the series. Yes there's comedy in it, but it's not the main focus and the main characters maybe kids, but don't let that fool you, this series gets very dark and violent in the later arcs like Yorknew and the Chimera Ant arc, especially with the latter arc.

wildstars

May 24, 2013
Reading thru this list has provided me with some new stuff to watch, so I wanna give a little back. The best things I can provide are some old school suggestions... There are a lot of good suggestions mostly from the past 10 years of anime and popular anime. I tip my hat to the person(s) who suggested Legend of Galactic Heroes, Wings of Honeamise, and the Gundam 008x OAVs. I'm going to toss out some more obscure suggestions from before that, or derived from stuff before that. I have no idea where you'd find some of this stuff now, but I won't let that stop me.

Easy one first: Space Cruiser Yamato 2199 (tv series), Should be available to the 'west' as Starblazers 2199 before too long. An amazingly faithful retelling & updating of one of the classics of anime. The Japanese Bluray releases have English subtitles already!

Future Police Urasihman (tv series). Petty thief from present day Japan(1980s) mysteriously ends up in the future. Circumstances force him into becoming a cop on a special task force to catch the organized crime of the future. Swings from wacky to serious and back. Frequently

SPT Layzner (tv Series). Power armor / giant robot anime TV show that got cut short. Aliens with giant robots invade Earth (via Mars) and during the initial invasion, one alien giant robot pilot switches sides.

Giant Robo. 1990's OAV series that took about a decade to produce, and was well worth the wait. Pre-teen boy with horrible fashion sense is tasked with using his giant robot to help an international crime fighting force save the world from... its complicated. , In my opinion, its possibly the best anime OAV series ever made.

Evangelion Reboot movies. Save yourself the confusion and annoyance of the Evangelion TV series and watch the reboot movies. They are much better (so far).

My Youth in Arcadia (Captain Harlock Movie), Galaxy Express 999 (movie) and Farewell Galaxy Express 999 (2nd movie). All three are tied to each other. Intertwined space opera with space pirates, evil humanoid aliens, evil robots, and a train that flies thru space. Who says Japan didn't have a drug problem in the 70s and 80s?

Nadia (The secret of Blue Water) (tv series). Turn of the century tale of a lost, possibly alien, princess and her quest to do something. I don't remember what exactly. I can't really give away whats so awesome about it without giving away too much. I can say that Cpt. Nemo is in it. Do yourself a favor, and fast forward/skip the island episodes in the middle.

Hope this helps!