Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Future Soldier Review

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
There is no definitive guide, but the universes are all connected, and the plots/people in the most recent Clancy games are either related to, or in, Endwar.

Scott Michel is the protagonist of GRAW 1 GRAW 2; he is the Major and your CO in Future Soldier. He eventually gets promoted to General and the Commander of all JSF forces shortly before Endwar.

Several of the major characters of Endwar from the EU and Russian forces are former Team RAINBOW members.

Third Echelon is directly mentioned and interacts with Team RAINBOW in Rainbow Six Vegas 2.

HAWX are the air support team sent in for air support for JSF in Endwar. In addition, in Future Soldier during one mission Major Michel calls in a HAWX team to give the Ghosts CAS.

During Future Soldier, the missile shield technology used in Endwar is displayed for the first time.

While I can't connect the conspiracy dots without some serious spoilers (and its still not completely clear yet), but basically whatever group is behind the various attacks and plots in the last few games wants to force WWIII to happen (finally does in Endwar) by manipulating the US, Russia and EU, so that they can come in and either mop up or use it to shape the world to their benefit.

ElPatron

Jul 18, 2011
maninahat said:
Same problem with Crysis. It doesn't sound impressive or smart when you have a goddamn invisibility cloak.
I didn't like it because it couldn't be used for actual stealth. The cloak thing was definitely underpowered.

Walk 30m - energy depleted. Stay in the same spot for one minute - energy depleted.

It was almost useless and I gave up on trying to use it "seriously". I wanted to sneak around and pick up coke cans and distract enemies with it. Sneaking around was more about hiding behind some bushes and popping guys with silenced weapons than actually carefully choosing a path where you could walk around cloaked.

maninahat said:
It just leaves me wanting to play as a non-American, poorly equiped soldier for once. Hell, if you can't do that, make me an American advisor in a developing nation, who has to go it alone when the green troops/militia get flattened by a powerful invasion force. That way you might get to use some interesting, unconventional weapons as well - whatever you can scavange. Also, you have to be much smarter if you want to beat the well equipped, high-tech enemy.
Operation Flashpoint: Gold Edition - play the Resistance campaign.

If you can get to steal the Russian tanks you deserve a medal. I think I have lost a few years of lifetime with the stress that level gave me, and it was one of the first missions!

Cyrus Hanley

Oct 13, 2010
Zhukov said:
Anyway, I found the game utterly and completely lacklustre. You play a bunch of bloody American special forces guys running around the world shooting brown people and Russians. Again. There's a coup in Moscow. Again. Someone gets their hands on nuclear weapons. Again.
Heh. If I remember correctly, the original Ghost Recon was actually the first game to do the "Ultranationalists start a civil war in Russia" thing while Call of Duty and Battlefield were still stuck in World War II... and now they've come full circle.

It even predicted Russia invading Georgia in the year 2008.

EDIT:

blackrave said:
Gameplay seems solid, but story...
Dear Mr. Clancy, we know that you have graduated cold war screen writing school
We also know that you are patriot of USA and fanboy of US armed forces.
But could you please stop writing now?

Russia will never start war with or even threaten USA (although russian and american politics might have occasional cockfights), because there is no good reason to waste resources on such global suicide
War between Russia and China is more likely scenario, due to the simple fact that chinese are de facto taking over Russia's far east territories.
Since when did Richard Dansky become Tom Clancy?

ldwater

Jun 15, 2009
Personally I think GR:FS has been dumbed down to meet the COD and BF kiddies and I am extreamly dissapointed with it.

Its been said before that all the toys make its really overpowered - I even played through a few maps without firing a shot as I could litterally say to my guys "shoot that dude" and they would pull out a head shot every time.

The stealth suit looked really cool and I figured it would be for a single mission here and there but its on ALL the time; so instead of it giving some tactical advantage its basically a tool to stop the kiddies moaning that they can't complete a mission as they get spotted.

You can litterally move around in front of people, broad daylight and not get spotted. It sucks all of the point of stealth and using cover to approach enemies out of the game and makes its meaningless.

The game has points where you can't raise an alarm else its game over - restart.. WTF!?? Tactial shooter my ass! Why can't I fight my way through? Why can't the game become harder because I messed up and I have to do something else to get through? Nope - game over - do not pass go - do not collect $200 - restart try again.

They've changed the game from being one where you pick the right tools for the job and your play style into a COD 'rollercoaster' type experiance where you have fixed fights where enemies teleport in at the right spots and you have to fight them off.

You have little pistol sections where you drag someone around and have to kill everyone with a pistol while all hell breaks loose and when you breach and clear a room the whole thing goes slow motion; giving you enough time to line up the shot, go into the other room, get a drink and a bite to eat and come back before you even need to pull the trigger.

Other parts of the game you'll have a big fightout with seeminly unbeatable odds fight your way out, "get to da choppa" blah blah blah.

Co-op is a complete joke as it needs to be setup BEFORE the game starts - so no jump in / jump out gameplay; so it basically means that NO ONE plays co-op.

Its only slightly redeeming feature is the gunsmith with is really cool being able to customise your weapon to exactly how you like it - but even THAT has been tainted; pretty much EVERYTHING needs to be unlocked - either through MP or SP challenges or even purchased through Uplay to unlock it. So you end up with all these cool guns and mods that you can't actually bloody use and stuck with the standard stuff.

To top it off it has no bullet drop, no ability to change fire mode ad hoc (ie, its dependant upon the trigger you fit) and no ability to add a silencer as you go - so some missions where you need to be quiet and don't take a gun with a silencer your screwed basically.

The whole game is a travesty to the Tom Clancy name and he should be ashamed to be associated with it.