Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition Review - Tressed Up

zumbledum

Nov 13, 2011
Jimothy Sterling said:
Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition Review - All Tressed Up

A visually impressive rerelease, but a rerelease all the same.

Read Full Article
omg man wall of text! tl:dr?
but seriously what are we doing having to read on the internet? if its worth doing make a video of it so i dont have to smear cheetos over my screen.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Wouldn't be surprised if Skyrim, Red Dead Redemption, GTAV and other of the most popular titles from last gen get hauled over, which im all for...Trade in my 360 versions and get the newer ones. I know others would have a problem but for me not so much xD

Now how much do i have to pay Highmoon studio's to port over Transformers War for and Fall of Cybertron...

Pink Apocalypse

Oct 9, 2012
arc1991 said:
Wouldn't be surprised if Skyrim, Red Dead Redemption, GTAV and other of the most popular titles from last gen get hauled over, which im all for...Trade in my 360 versions and get the newer ones. I know others would have a problem but for me not so much xD
*fistbump*

Fallout 3 and New Vegas also (in b4 F3 sucks, no NV sucks, too old, blah blah blah)

Sanunes

Mar 18, 2011
Theminimanx said:
So are there any graphics upgrades compared to the pc release? And if so, is there any good reason we're not getting those?
Here is the breakdown for what they have done with Lara in this new enhanced version. I think it might be eventually released for the PC, but really they have a major problem with it being on the PC already and since it has been on sale on Steam (and maybe elsewhere) for $10 already for the normal version, this new version being priced at $60 is far from being worth it. Now if they work something out like what happened with Deus Ex: Human Revolution Director's Cut this might be something I would consider.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgvaNtQCv6E

arc1991 said:

Now how much do i have to pay Highmoon studio's to port over Transformers War for and Fall of Cybertron...
I can't see many games getting an upgraded version if they have been out for awhile, for they probably already have a saturation point for those games and the time/money to upgrade and re-release won't fit into the budget. I am getting the feeling for this upgrade is basically "we are rebuilding Lara for the next game and just going to insert her into the older game and re-release it."

Voulan

Jul 18, 2011
I guess I'll keep an eye out for it then. I've followed the Tomb Raider series for a long time, but after Underworld I couldn't really put my trust in any new releases. So despite following all the development updates and things I didn't buy it when it came out. I just might now, though.

Ichigo

Nov 13, 2012
When did it become normal to rerelease a game that isn´t even a year old? We´re reaching DVD standards here. Make a game, rerelease it in HD then make a box out of all the prequels and rerelese them again. Why not make a new game instead?

Theminimanx

Positively Insane
Mar 14, 2011
Sanunes said:
Theminimanx said:
So are there any graphics upgrades compared to the pc release? And if so, is there any good reason we're not getting those?
Here is the breakdown for what they have done with Lara in this new enhanced version. I think it might be eventually released for the PC, but really they have a major problem with it being on the PC already and since it has been on sale on Steam (and maybe elsewhere) for $10 already for the normal version, this new version being priced at $60 is far from being worth it. Now if they work something out like what happened with Deus Ex: Human Revolution Director's Cut this might be something I would consider.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgvaNtQCv6E
Oh, that's actually far more of an improvement then I imagined it would be. I thought it would just be some better textures, which we would already have on pc. But the stuff they added would actually take some extra dev time to add on pc. So I can see myself paying extra for an upgrade, similar to the Director's Cut.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Pink Apocalypse said:
arc1991 said:
*fistbump*

Fallout 3 and New Vegas also (in b4 F3 sucks, no NV sucks, too old, blah blah blah)
*fistbunp back*

How about some original xbox/ps2 games getting an upgrade? XD

GIVE US KOTOR 1 and 2 in HI DEF god damn it!

Will never happen but a boy can dream :'(

Gamegodtre

Aug 24, 2009
Andy of Comix Inc said:
"The Definitive Edition" implies there won't be more versions, so... that's a comfort, right?
Your forgetting about the Definitive Game Of the Year Edition, Or as it shall now be called the Ultimate Edition which comes with in it the Tomb Raider movie and the code to swap Lara with Angelina in game model.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
I've just got this two days ago on my 360, ah well, "teh graphics" don't concern me too much.

legendp

Jul 9, 2010
DirgeNovak said:
I'll buy it when it's thirty bucks or less. I've waited this long, I can wait some more.
I'll buy it when they bring back the old facial structure (her appearance). they changed it, it wasn't even touched on in the review, personally I hope they change it back (unless they already have, but I doubt that and that screen shot showed otherwise). the new look feels like a cheap way of trying to sexy her up, especially when the detail levels look pretty similar to that seen on the pc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Teb1VF1Ptho

other than that I was a big fan of the first, and like others I don't see why people are so upset about it being $60 ($100 if you live here in australia... yes I will continue to bang on about that), if it was delayed 12 months people wouldn't complain about the price, if doing this means a better sequel with less micro transactions and nonesense dlc than go for it.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
legendp said:
the new look feels like a cheap way of trying to sexy her up, especially when the detail levels look pretty similar to that seen on the pc.
Nah, I think it was just them trying to make her look closer to how she looks in the intro cutscene. But I guess the result is still sorta the same.

Though I'm sure the fact that her original game face beared a striking resemblance to Jennifer Lawrence wasn't a coincidence either.

gamernerdtg2

Jan 2, 2013
Pink Apocalypse said:
Dear Mysterious Video Game Overlords -

Please release a revised version of Skyrim for the PS4, complete with new fixes, and packed with a select choice of the very best mods and tweaks made to date. Also, doing the same thing with the Morrowind/Skywind project would be neat.

The resulting fan-girl arm flail might possibly make me stroke out. It's a risk I'd happily take.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Not a PC gamer
Now...if that happens, I might give Skyrim another try. I might not hate that game if they do this...great suggestion.

AznaktaX

Dec 3, 2013
Normally, I'm all in for releasing a game into more and more platforms, but with them releasing it as a new edition, charging 60 dollars for just slightly better graphics, when you can buy it for the xbox 360 or the pc, for half the price or less(I saw it in one of the stores around my neighborhood for like 20-30 euro), things get a bit rough.

TizzytheTormentor said:
I managed to snag Tomb Raider during the Steam Christmas sale for 10 euro (along with the vast majority of Tomb Raider games) and my PC should be able to max out all but the TressFX hair physics...

The price for wonderfully animated hair...
Again with the hair physics...

Tell me when they make improved boob physics.(if you get my drift)

nexus

May 30, 2012
I think her new look is really awful. Not sure why that needed changing. Her original appearance evoked an intensity for perseverance and intelligence. Now she looks more like a bewildered doll.

In motion her facial animations look like they belong in a Disney cartoon.

The original was perfect really. Whatever. The game is good.

proghead

Apr 17, 2010
I don't think it's fair to give this a 3/5 just because it had been released on other platforms before. On PS4 and Xbone it's new and everyone should decide for themselves, if they're going to buy it (again) or not. They can prize it however they want.

It would have been more lame to release it on the new consoles without any upgrades (unless for cheap, in that case).