Tomorrow I start high school.

novixz

Feb 7, 2011
So yeah, I'm going to high school, it's 10:05 PM where I live and I should probably be asleep. So anyway, I'm not sure what to expect, everybody is telling me to grow up and mature some, but I'm not sure if I want to. My sister says to keep a 3.5 to 4.0 GPA, IDK if I'm sure I can do that. Now for the discussion value. Was it hard for you in high school? Did you get along socially/academically? Are you glad about your high school experience? If you could tell the 14 (or however old you were when starting high school) something what would it be? Don't be a smart ass and say that it would tear the fabric of time. Also, shark week is over, how do you feel about that?

Captcha: ruture frombs.

According to Urban Dictionary, frombes is another word for anal intercourse. Oh captcha you kinky little girl.

Edit: I agree, DON'T stand in the middle of the hallways, in the school middle school where I went to it's easy to it's easy to get caught behind somebody and go fuck all nowhere. This rule is applied 10 fold in a 4 foot hallway.

Edit: We don't have lockers. I know it's weird, I don't see anybody complaining about it though. So just putting that out there. But this thread isn't just for me, if you have advice on lockers by all means post it.

neonsword13-ops

~ Struck by a Smooth Criminal ~
Mar 28, 2011
Tell me how it is.

I start in a week. I would like some nice juicy information for preperation.

DJDarque

Words
Aug 24, 2009
It's not that hard as long as you're not lazy. I was lazy and just skated by as a C average student. I could have easily been a straight A student if I would've put some effort into it.

Valate_v1legacy

Sep 16, 2009
It's cool but only if you're in clubs. If not then it's just like middle school. Oh, and if you live in a K-5,6-8,9-12 you become freshmeat. You will be picked on unless you complain about it. Then we have to stop or we get sued. Sad times.

If I could tell myself then anything it would be "DON'T THROW THE F*CKING CHAIR *****." "What chair?" "You'll find out."

Other than that I did good.

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
Freshman year is a lot of fun. Really exciting. My advice is to get in good with your peers - talk to them, be outgoing, and don't be afraid to step outside your comfort zone.

Sophmore year is when you learn how to manipulate the system - walk in late and not get caught, skip classes... yeah, I was a delinquent.

Milo Windby

Feb 12, 2010
I remember my first day... some of the older students were tagging the new students with Bingo Pens. I was able to avoid that somehow >.>

2fish

Sep 10, 2008
Be confidant nor arrogant

The rules of engagement change from school to school so weapons will vary from words to fists to sports cars.

Find similar people

Have fun

Ok on to your questions now that you have the rules I went through high school with

To me high school was just more of the same try in the classes, have fun. I did alright socially/grade wise.

A note to myself huh?

To: Past me
Topic: Me

Doesn't matter how hard you try the economy is gonna fuck up and the jobs will go poof for everyone but the top few, do drugs instead.

kingcom

Jan 14, 2009
High School huh, guessing your in the US, that means 4 years and your actually get to enjoy yourself. High School was terrible, a waste of time, where I learn't only that adults have as little clue as to what goes on in the world as children.

Zack1501

Mar 22, 2011
the first week sucks. you don't know were you are or how to get to were your going. sometimes you might even go into the wrong class. after that its just like it has probably been for you with a few changes: 1. more freedom 2. less people you know, its kinda a fresh start. 3. more homework

novixz

Feb 7, 2011
Idocreating said:
... isn't it the summer holidays at this time of year?
Um, yeah, which has to end at one point, which I guess is now for me.

2012 Wont Happen

Aug 12, 2009
Expect to skate by your freshman and sophomore years doing very well if you have any brains whatsoever.

Expect to be pounded in the ass by your junior year.

Expect to skate by your senior year.

McNinja

Sep 21, 2008
DJDarque said:
It's not that hard as long as you're not lazy. I was lazy and just skated by as a C average student. I could have easily been a straight A student if I would've put some effort into it.
This. Although I got all A's my senior year. Maybe a few B's. I ended with a 3.3 GPA for that year. However, the three previous years did not go so well.

I would tell myself to grow a pair. A lot of troubles I had in High school stemmed from the fact that I was a wuss, and an indecisive one at that. I didn't make bad choices (maybe one), but I made some rather silly choices. It's a good thing after high school you won't ever see the majority of the people ever again. Well, not for ten years or so.

Gaiseric

Sep 21, 2008
It was kinda difficult for me at times and would have been better if I had been wiser at the time. I should have joined the football team and used the opportunity my PE coach gave me to get in shape sooner and make more fiends. The class presentations were always a pain for me. I was awkward but friendly/likable enough to get along with most crowds without incident.

I would suggest not be lazy like I was, study/work hard, and take the opportunities as they come. Also you'll learn plenty even if it isn't all academic related.

God Speed boy and give it your best.

Edit: Lastly, SLEEP!

Iconsting

Apr 14, 2009
Participate in extracurricular activities. They're a great way to make new friends, they're a shit-ton of fun, and some offer volunteer opportunities.

The food's expensive and lower quality than fast food, you're better off brown bagging.

This one's important: WALK FAST IN THE HALLS! I cannot stress this one enough, the easiest way to make enemies is to be a walking roadblock.

Take the most challenging courses you can. They're the only classes with teachers worth their merit and will actually make your job easier.

You'll find that people are a lot more tolerant of things that you'd be considered "Weird" for in Junior High. In fact, people might like you for having those qualities.

BrailleOperatic

Jul 7, 2010
My number one piece of advice is this: don't take it too very seriously. By the time you get to college, nothing you will have done in high school will matter. So long as you learn the material and the basic life skills it's designed to instill you with, you'll be fine. Everything you encounter in the next four years will be invariably worse in your had. Just wait till you have hindsight, you' learn a lot about high school.

Pegghead

Aug 4, 2009
So what grades does high-school cover in the states? I've been in "high-school" for the past four years (over here it covers years 7-12, myself currently being in year 10) and I've heard that the system's a bit different in the US.

I guess all I can say is make a good first impression, depending on how well you get along with teachers and all the other kids in your year (I'm guessing you're going to a co-ed school. If so, be thankful for it, I'm not saying my school's bad but it gets a bit wierd after a while going to a same-sex school) high-school can either be a great time or a living hell.As for grades, all you can do is do your best, listen to your teachers and try and avoid stress...neither schooling nor your social-life should dominate your time, they should both just be in equal balance (because there is a bigger workload...it's managable and somewhat more flexible though).

DarthFennec

May 27, 2010
High school was really hard for me ... but I guess if you're smart you won't be in International Baccalaureate like I was, so in that case it should be pretty easy.

Just attend all your classes and do all the work and make sure you turn it all in on time. Even if it's not all done perfectly that should keep you above a 3.5.

Oh, and make sure you have friends and go to parties and all that shit. It's hell otherwise. It's hell anyway but it's much less hell if you have some fun.

aashell13

Jan 31, 2011
Keep your head down, your mouth shut, focus on your work, and you should be fine. Find a good club to join too. I did FIRST Robotics. Robotics was probably the most fun i've had in my life, so if you're a tinker-y type who likes building stuff you should definitely check that out.

I was homeschooled until 10th grade, when i started public school at a high school where i didn't know anybody, so i know the first few days can be tough.

http://www.usfirst.org/roboticsprograms/frc/default.aspx?id=966

P.S. my HS robotics team was ~60% hot girls. your mileage may vary.