Tony Hawk Pissed About TH: Ride Reviews

AkJay

Feb 22, 2009
"Most snarky critics had their minds set before ever seeing/playing the game."

"They were ready to discredit it before they even tried it, and if it didn't play exactly how they imagined it... then they passed it off."

Sad thing is that he's right, more often than not, critics think this way.

lucky_sharm said:
Does anyone still care about this has-been Tony Hawk?
I do.

DazZ.

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2009
Gildan Bladeborn said:
But seriously, who thought pretending to do skateboard tricks on a make-believe skateboard with no wheels would be fun? Take the wheels off a real skateboard and see how much fun you'll have with it then (not much).
I've had hours of fun doing that, I have a board in my room with no wheels specifically for it. :)

If you add a trampoline to the no wheels mix that helps as well, or a very muddy hill.

lazy_bum

Mar 25, 2009
Furburt said:
Yes thats it Tony, everyone is wrong simply because they disagree with you!

Just because you pulled a perfect 900 doesn't make you Jesus you know.
there goes my life ambitions of godhood up in smoke.

need a new plan now...thanks -_-

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Normal person: Gee, this peripheral is really hard to use.

Pro Skateboarder: What, no it's not. It's just like performing tricks on a real skateboard!
Nevermind pro skater, this is the Pro Skater. He's been retired from competition eight odd years and there's still a whole raft of tricks that nobody has managed to do but him.

Making him help design a system for gamers is like having DaVinci write a drawing for beginners book, a really good idea, but needs people around who can make the information he gives usable to mere mortals.

Although I actually think the problem is the opposite to this, Tony is not a games designer, so what's come out is probably extremely impressive to him. Because he's helped make it it's also his baby, so he's emotionally invested. It must be pretty hard to have people ragging on it.

Like when 15 year old fan artists present their 'portfolio' to the pros expecting to heaped in praise... only to get told they have no understanding of drawing and need to go away and learn. Some will take it on the chin, then sign up to life drawing, others will stand there and rabidly defend their 'unique style,'
It's not because they're nasty or arrogant, they've just had bad news about something they're very invested in, which is hard to take.

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
D4zZ said:
Gildan Bladeborn said:
But seriously, who thought pretending to do skateboard tricks on a make-believe skateboard with no wheels would be fun? Take the wheels off a real skateboard and see how much fun you'll have with it then (not much).
I've had hours of fun doing that, I have a board in my room with no wheels specifically for it. :)

If you add a trampoline to the no wheels mix that helps as well, or a very muddy hill.
Congratulations: You are this game's target audience. I probably should have added "standing on the board on your living room floor, where there is no incline whatsoever", but apparently doing tricks with a plank of wood while remaining essentially fixed in place because of friction would still have been fun for you.

Ohten

Apr 14, 2009
HUBILUB said:
Just prefect, first Marc Ecko calls us all nerds with no life and blames the ps2 for the game he made that sucked, and now Tony Hawk is going to claim that everyone except him is wrong.
Like every famous person who's come under a critic's fire ever has done. This is nothing new and Tony Hawk is at best a hack holding on to his glory days when teenagers thought he was omgtehawesum because he could spin on a skateboard.

cheese_wizington

Aug 16, 2009
Yeah, there were only like two copies of the game at wal mart, and they were next to a rack of old dvds OUTSIDE the electronics section.

Yeah, it's that sad.

Dusty Donuts

Jul 16, 2009
fix-the-spade said:
Normal person: Gee, this peripheral is really hard to use.

Pro Skateboarder: What, no it's not. It's just like performing tricks on a real skateboard!
Nevermind pro skater, this is the Pro Skater. He's been retired from competition eight odd years and there's still a whole raft of tricks that nobody has managed to do but him.

Making him help design a system for gamers is like having DaVinci write a drawing for beginners book, a really good idea, but needs people around who can make the information he gives usable to mere mortals.

Although I actually think the problem is the opposite to this, Tony is not a games designer, so what's come out is probably extremely impressive to him. Because he's helped make it it's also his baby, so he's emotionally invested. It must be pretty hard to have people ragging on it.

Like when 15 year old fan artists present their 'portfolio' to the pros expecting to heaped in praise... only to get told they have no understanding of drawing and need to go away and learn. Some will take it on the chin, then sign up to life drawing, others will stand there and rabidly defend their 'unique style,'
It's not because they're nasty or arrogant, they've just had bad news about something they're very invested in, which is hard to take.
If he's under such emotional stress and not a games designer, then why doesn't he stop making games? It's not that hard!
Although, I do see where you are coming from.

Midniqht

Beer Quaffer
Jul 10, 2009
EA Skate dominates in the skating game genre now...
So much for Mr. Hawk trying to overtake it. They should focus on making the actual gameplay more realistic - it might actually get some attention.
Doing a 900 into a grind and then backflipping out isn't necessarily how you grab skaters of the digital world anymore.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Silk_Sk said:
Tony Hawk is still around? I thought he stopped existing when skateboard ceased to be counter-cultural.
Apparantly he still crawls out every so often...

DazZ.

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2009
Gildan Bladeborn said:
D4zZ said:
Gildan Bladeborn said:

Congratulations: You are this game's target audience. I probably should have added "standing on the board on your living room floor, where there is no incline whatsoever", but apparently doing tricks with a plank of wood while remaining essentially fixed in place because of friction would still have been fun for you.
Yes, it would, I learnt 360s in my room without wheels. If it rains and I still want to skate it's still fun, obviously not preferable but you can't be outside all the time.

Archemetis

Is Probably Awesome.
Aug 13, 2008
Mr. Hawk, do you mind if I call you Mr. Hawk? Do you honestly believe that everyone who plays or has played a Tony Hawks game knows how to skateboard? If so, may I offer you a free brick to the face, or simple diploma officially crediting you as the most presumptuous idiot ever to walk the earth, people do not buy your games because they can skateboard, admittedly for a group of the target demographic that might be the case, but the majority of the gamer community is built up of people who plays games because they lack the necessary skill and/or coordination to maneuver skillfully through the acts the digital characters are managing.
This is especially true for your games. People for the most part don't buy your games because they can skateboard, they buy them so they can watch a character like themselves skateboard. So releasing a peripheral that automatically destroys the gap between pro skateboarder and gamer WITHIN a GAME that you're expecting them to play and enjoy is a bit of a FUCKING IDIOT DECISION.
I hope this has helped you Mr. Hawk and for God's sake, don't do it again.

Seriously, It's the same arguement as the Wii or the Natal, Gamers don't play games to actually take part they do it to relax a escape from the fact that can't do it in real life!

Jeez!

SaintWaldo

Interzone Vagabond
Jun 10, 2008
robrob said:
The problem here is that "good" and "bad" are entirely objective.
I'm almost positive the word you mean to use here is, "subjective", meaning in the eye of the beholder and not independently verifiable as an empirical truth. I point this out not to be a jerk, but because I've made the same mistake when typing very fast.

Doc Theta Sigma

Jan 5, 2009
Correct me if I'm wrong but people play skating games for one of two reasons:
1. They can't skate.
2. They can't skate.

Now I realise that is technically only one flaw but I thought it was a such a big one that it was worth mentioning twice. So bringing out a game where you are effectively skating while stationary in your own living room using a poorly responsive plastic skateboard is not going to make it sell. Give it up Mr Hawk. You're done.

Vlane

Sep 14, 2008
HUBILUB said:
Just prefect, first Marc Ecko calls us all nerds with no life and blames the ps2 for the game he made that sucked, and now Tony Hawk is going to claim that everyone except him is wrong.
Wow, wow, wow hold on there for a second. Mark Ecko's game (I hope you are talking about Getting Up) didn?t suck at all. In fact I thought it was great, hell even Yahtzee likes it.

But at least now I know what I'm not going to buy my brother for christmas (he said he wanted it but later bought DJ Hero).

Blanks

Mar 17, 2009
personally i don't think he's made a good game since the first one on N64 having played most of them the first was the one i really enjoyed