Too high ping? (TF2)

Vicarious Reality

Jul 10, 2011
I am always at about 90, live in a old ass house in a small city, telephone dialing ftw
Never noticed it affecting my game much, 10 download and 0,7 upload speed to nearest city
230 ping to Las Vegas

Uhura

This ain't no hula!
Aug 30, 2012
gmaverick019 said:
Well if you can find some that don't mind your ping too much, then I'd stick with it
Yeah, I think I'll keep a few higher ping servers on my favorites-list, but I don't want to piss people off so I'll probably try not to play on them during the high-traffic hours. Which should be easy, since I really should be already in bed when the US players hit the prime gaming hours. But yeah, I definitely need to find good euro-servers.

Neverhoodian said:
It kind of depends on the type of server as well as which class you are. You'll probably get called out for high ping (150+) on more competitive servers run by clans
EvilRoy said:
On a privately run server you tend to get people who care a bit more about the game, and usually these guys have all been playing together on this server for ages. So while they may forgive Mike from Australia for his ping because they've been playing together so long, you may not get the same consideration.
This is a good point too. The servers I tried to play on seemed to have a bit more serious/organized player base so it makes sense that they would be more sensitive to high ping players. And the general consensus here seems to agree that 100+ pings start to get a bit iffy. I guess the Valve servers just gave me some serious misconceptions about ping, and that's why those complaints confused me so much.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Lil_Rimmy said:
Wow @ all these people saying 3 digits is too high.

Maybe it's just Australia, but for me, if I can't get an Auzzie server with ping in the 50-100 (really good), then it goes from 100(good)-200(not that great) and if it's above 200, unless it's a slower game (ala ArmA etc) no.

I don't know about anyone else, but to me, either I have lag or I don't. I really don't get degrees of lag, especially with TF2. And I can't NEVER notice the difference in my play from 50-150 ping. 200 I start to notice the lag of other players, but from 200 up is the actual lag.

It's kind of funny, playing CS:GO recently I have met the same people in random games many times. Hell, I've even played with a guy, gone back 30 minutes later and then played in a totally different game with him. The Auzzie gaming community is pretty tight nit and filled with just Auzzies, because the next best ping is up in Asia, then America.

I legit met people on my friends list just at random in games of GO, and my friends list is tiny. Like, 3 friends that play GO.
If you consistently get bad ping then you just learn to deal with it, so triple digits might not seem that bad, but for someone who is used to playing with low ping anything in the triple digits seems atrocious. I live near Los Angeles, and when I start up TF2 and order the server browser by ping it takes about 30 seconds of scrolling before I can even get to a server with over 100 ping. In fact, the first page of servers will usually have less than 20 ping. It's kind of hard to go from 10 ping to 100 when you're not used to the lag, and it is VERY noticeable, even if it's just a 0.1 second delay. So yeah, 100 ping is too high for me, sorry for being spoiled by a good connection and a high number of servers to choose from.

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
Ping in the 100 range is fine. At around a consistent rate of 140-ish ping, I don't blame the person for having bad Internet and wanting to play a fun game. Source games are one of the few engines where having high ping doesn't hinder your performance, unless it's a pretty hectic or low error game like Left 4 Dead or filled TF2 servers. But I would highly suggest you sort servers by lowest ping when you play, though you'd be surprised how reliably low ping a lot of Valve servers are.

Anyone yelling at you for having a high ping is just being a whining boy, not unless you're stuttering and rubber banding all over the place.

At around 250+ ping, dude, just find a server that's in your country.