Too many games, too little time.

Raptoricus

Jan 13, 2009
I'm in my second year of a game development degree, this means that I'm in the lovely position in which I can get away with saying that I'm playing games for "research purposes" which is THE best excuse I could ever come up with for spending most of my spare time playing them. But I've noticed recently, my shelves (and steam account) has become inundated with masses of games that I've either not completed, or simply don't have time to play, some of which I really want to play.

Now for those of you who don't know, programming takes time, LOTS of time, designing, documenting, programming, debugging, rinse-repeat, the effect of this being since starting this course, my time spent actually playing games has at least halved. This has become painfully apparent with buying bucket loads of great games for hardly any cash in the recent steam sales, I've picked up tonnes of games that I'd love to play through, which I just can't because all of my time is spent doing coursework, or working on projects outside of uni. Don't get me wrong, I love coding, and I love the course that I'm on and where it's hopefully going to lead me, but jesus, what I'd give to actually spend time playing a few games at the moment.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is this - If you're planning on getting into a career making games, expect to lose playing games as a hobby, it's the sad reality of it.

FallenJellyDoughnut

Jun 28, 2009
I thought this thread was going to be about all the awesome games that are coming out this year, which I can't get because I'm saving up to buy a snake... WHOM I SHAL NAME SEBASTIAN! /off topic-ness

CroMagnon

Dec 7, 2009
CALL HIM SOLID FOR GOODNESS SNAKE!

Also, that sucks. Well, isn't it simmilar of about 50% of the jobs out there?

Raptoricus

Jan 13, 2009
FallenJellyDoughnut said:
I thought this thread was going to be about all the awesome games that are coming out this year, which I can't get because I'm saving up to buy a snake... WHOM I SHAL NAME SEBASTIAN! /off topic-ness
I wish you a fruitfull life with your faithfull pet snake Sebastien :p
CroMagnon said:
CALL HIM SOLID FOR GOODNESS SNAKE!

Also, that sucks. Well, isn't it simmilar of about 50% of the jobs out there?
True enough really, I don't know, it's more of a rant than anything else because I've spent all this money and just don't have the time, but aye, at least I'll be doing something that I enjoy.

aPod

Jan 14, 2010
Well, isnt that true about getting any job? Or any schooling?

FactualSquirrel

Dec 10, 2009
FallenJellyDoughnut said:
My snake died recently.

It wasn't called Sebastian though.

Just some more off-topic goodness for you.

PureChaos

Aug 16, 2008
i always wondered what people who's job is to play games do as a hobby. probably have one of those things i've heard so much about...think it's called a social life!