Too much hand holding in today's games?

Evilpigeon

Feb 24, 2011
Waaghpowa said:
PercyBoleyn said:
People actually complained about that? I mean yeah, the spells and combat system were a bit confusing at first but it's not like there weren't mobs around for you to experiment with. Didn't it feel satisfying taking down your first mob with techniques and tricks you learned by yourself instead of having someone hold your hand through the entire process?
A lot of reviews whined about difficulty and how it wasn't in your face obvious how to do things. Some people are just impatient really, and it's not like the first Witcher game was easy either. for all I know, people who complained were the ones who never played the first game.
The problem I had with it was that the interface was horrible for looking stuff up and that the opening section is quite difficult when you don't quite understand what's going on. I just about got to the first village before I got fed up, speaking here as someone who enjoyed the first game and is generally a fan of large, complex games.

I'm probably going to give it another go eventually (they have a massive update coming soon I think?) However the Witcher 2 is an extremely difficult game to get into.

As far as handholding goes, I'm perfectly fine so long as it doesn't get int he way of playing normally. When the game starts covering the screen in constant pop-ups and nags you to follow the nice little path the developers wants you to take through their game, I get fed-up and either turn them off or find something better to play.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
No kidding. Not that I want to return to the days of Nintendo Hard by any stretch of the imagination, but all this hand holding tends to kill any sense of accomplishment the game might've offered.

Meight08

*Insert Funny Title*
Feb 16, 2011
Publishers refuse to accept console gamers actually like challenge they think of all console gamers as impatient retards.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Well I wouldn't agree on that text thing but figuring things out is an issue, and the issue is in bad design, it is the split between a great meal and a decent one, you can have the same ingredients but how you put them together is of great importance.

The little things add up to a huge difference in overall feel:
- let's take path discovery, in HL2 which is completely linear you are left to discover your way and it is designed for you to notice the hints, and in modern games your way is marked by a big flashing neon outline... discovery 0, challenge 0, reward 0, you are just along for the pretty pictures
- opening doors, yes so simple yet we can have a challenge in it, in HL2 you get a door with a lock on it and you have a weapon... figure it out buddy, in modern games again a big flashing neon outline on the door, a big flashing neon button to press on the door, and half the time they still have someone else open the door in a most time consuming way
- items, in Deus Ex every item has a distinguishing design that you will start to remember and notice ever more quickly when coming across it, in Human Revolution there is no such design only a big flashing neon outline

And there is much more discovery lost in these new "everyone wins" design directions

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
roushutsu said:
Probably a variety of reasons.
Hello and Welcome to the Escapist.
Hope you enjoy yourself here :)

On Topic.

I don't mind having a tutorial in the start telling me how to do the basics.
But games that doesn't have it are interesting to learn and play and after the game I usually go look the internet what there are and realize I have only used the basic attacks through the wole game.

For example in Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands you learn the basic mechanics (running on walls, jumping, leaping, rolling etc) in the first mission but as far as combat goes it sais something like wave wii-mote for right hand and nunchuck for left hand and then suddenly if you strike mote, mote, nunchuck, mote and nuchuck the Prince instakills somebadass by throwing them on the ground and stabing them in the heart and I am like WTF o_O

Then I go to the options menu and there's a whole list of combos'.

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
I agree there is way too much hand holding in RPGs nowadays. I have nothing wrong with teaching and showing me as I go but eventually you have to take off the training wheels and go. I especially don't like that there is little room for failure in games anymore.
An example that leaps to mind recently for me was playing a mission in Skyrim where at the end, the room began to fill with water, you are told you have to find a way out before you drown.
Except, you don't. Once the water reaches a certain height, the way out reveals itself and there is no way to miss it OR drown.
Yaawn.

Crazycat690

Aug 31, 2009
While there are many games like that today, I don't like the old ways either when the solution could be really batshit crazy. Like search this random box for a key that unlocks a hidden box somewhere in the woods which contain a magical bomb that will only blow up a specific wall and no we wont tell you which! There's nothing fun or smart about forcing the player to stumble around hoping to find some hidden key or such.

Odbarc

Elite Member
Jun 30, 2010
Lucem712 said:
Well, most games I play have the first mission as a tutorial and then release you. Occasionally throwing up a text box because you've been on the same puzzle for 30 minutes. I think it also helps in games with a-lot of different actions, I don't remember what game it was but I didn't realize til about halfway through how to do a certain action and I'm like, 'geez, that'd been nice to know'

Also, playing Skyrim with the claw doors. I thought it had to do something with the size of the animals/creatures depicted on the wheels. When it wasn't that, I thought it was the alphabetical ordering of the animals' names. I submitted to the wikia after being wrong many many times. I then realized that the bottom of the claws had the pattern on them. Never occurred to me to look there. So, eh, maybe I'm a bit slow.

Edit: I like the idea of spreading it out. Giving the basics and then just kind of shooting up a text box when you gain a new ability or you need an advanced move. InFamous style.
I didn't know you could look at it, so I checked the environment like it showed earlier in the game in (some other dungeon?).
Found nothing, analyzed the stupid meaningless paintings on the wall, tried every single combination. Very last one succeeds. Learn two weeks later from a guy at work you can click and look at them. This same guy didn't even know about fast travel and would run from place to place and wasted hours of precious playing time doing nothing.

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
Waaghpowa said:
PercyBoleyn said:
People actually complained about that? I mean yeah, the spells and combat system were a bit confusing at first but it's not like there weren't mobs around for you to experiment with. Didn't it feel satisfying taking down your first mob with techniques and tricks you learned by yourself instead of having someone hold your hand through the entire process?
A lot of reviews whined about difficulty and how it wasn't in your face obvious how to do things. Some people are just impatient really, and it's not like the first Witcher game was easy either. for all I know, people who complained were the ones who never played the first game.
Haha seriously. If reviewers are going to go "I got killed by the dragon because I stood out in the open while he was breathing fire! That's not fair!" imagine how they'd react to the barghests.

midget_roxx

Feb 22, 2010
Depends on what game you get. The big blockbuster games, yes they have the hand holding mentality. Other games such as dwarf fortress, or Paradox interactive games are targetted at a more mature audience and have more complex game mechanics

Yggdraz0r

Jun 7, 2009
Soo, you Reckon the Kingdoms of Amular: Reckoning intro did it better?

"Here have a weapon, this is how you use it.
Repeat for other weapon.

Hey a bossfight!

Gl in the open world :3."

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
Yggdraz0r said:
Soo, you Reckon the Reckoning intro did it better?

"Here have a weapon, this is how you use it.
Repeat for other weapon.

Hey a bossfight!

Gl in the open world :3."
Haven't played The Reckoning, but that sounds like a good way to do it.

wintercoat

Nov 26, 2011
I remember back in the day when you had to guess what an item did based on the badly translated name. Wanna know how much a certain healing item heals? Fuck off! Get in a battle and find out yourself! Ohhh, what does that item do? Save and find out, cuz fuck if I know!

DrgoFx

Aug 30, 2011
I'll give something very, very simple. I play DDO, the MMO version of Dungeons and Dragons. For the first time in any MMO I've played in recent years, I could screw my character over completely like in the table-top version. This made me think harder about what to do with my character rather than just "Oh. He doesn't use magic, no intelligence." The fact it was more complicated than most MMOs was also intriguing. Sure, the game had a tutorial, but it's that level of difficulty to me.

I don't think the problem is we need to make things nearly impossible, we need to make more games that make us think carefully about what we're doing. That's the reason I play the MMOs I have. They force you to learn these new tactics and in the process, you are brought into a state that requires more thought than just "Shoot this target."

LazyAza

May 28, 2008
I would say their is both a lack of intelligent design and too much hand holding in today's games. It's really quite absurd how bad it has become. The worst offender I find is the "make things that are important glow" when most of the time a simple much more natural color identifier would do the exact same job but far more elegantly.

Take a simple lever you need to pull to open a door but the lever is in another room. Any normal player would search around for said lever and perhaps notice it eventually but give that lever say a red handle and make the rest of the machinery around it more subdued colors and wabam they will easily solve the puzzle and not feel like someone was yelling LOOK LOOK OVER HERE DO YOUS SEE IT DO YOU?!?!

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, I think there is too much hand holding in today's games. But for some genre's hand holding is fine. A good example of too much hand holding is Prince of Persia (2008), a game that no matter what, you could not die in. If fact I'm fairly sure there was a boss or a fight in it that you beat by jumping off a ledge and trying to kill yourself. Not only that but it pointed out your route for everywhere you went even though there was only like 4 major area's in the game.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Kahunaburger said:
Haha seriously. If reviewers are going to go "I got killed by the dragon because I stood out in the open while he was breathing fire! That's not fair!" imagine how they'd react to the barghests.
You know, it's people like that who forced Blizzard to put "Don't stand in fire" as a loading screen tip for World of Warcraft.

The_Echo

Mar 18, 2009
I'm all for a tutorial level at the beginning of the game, or a tutorial option in the menu.

But when a game goes Arkham City on me--that is to say, giving me button prompts for hopping over a ledge when I'm near the end of the game and already having hopped over many ledges in my days, or having Batman literally tell me how to solve the current problem--then it just becomes silly.