Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
SirSullymore said:
WW was always my favorite.

Also, is it cool to hate Oot now?
Probably. I won't be so dismissive as to say that all people want to hate on Ocarina, but I won't deny that it's trendy to do so. Namely:

-OoT is extremely popular. It's what Final Fantasy VII is to the Final Fantasy series in regards to the shift to 3D, and the explosion of popularity. Once something gets popular enough, some people will start to resent it on general principle.

-It overshadowed Majora's Mask at the time, and Majora's Mask has now surged in popularity. Now, as someone who doesn't particuarly like MM that much, I feel part of it is due to having a favorite that ISN'T OoT, that it's trendy to not pick the popular kid, so to speak.

-3D games came after OoT, and some would argue that they surpass it (personally, I hold TP and WW above it). So some may claim it gets unfair due.

So, yeah. Go figure. Personally of all the Zelda games I've played I'd hold A Link to the Past (closely followed by Majora's Mask) as being the most overrated, but to each their own.

SirSullymore

Mar 26, 2009
Hawki said:
SirSullymore said:
WW was always my favorite.

Also, is it cool to hate Oot now?
Probably. I won't be so dismissive as to say that all people want to hate on Ocarina, but I won't deny that it's trendy to do so. Namely:

-OoT is extremely popular. It's what Final Fantasy VII is to the Final Fantasy series in regards to the shift to 3D, and the explosion of popularity. Once something gets popular enough, some people will start to resent it on general principle.

-It overshadowed Majora's Mask at the time, and Majora's Mask has now surged in popularity. Now, as someone who doesn't particuarly like MM that much, I feel part of it is due to having a favorite that ISN'T OoT, that it's trendy to not pick the popular kid, so to speak.

-3D games came after OoT, and some would argue that they surpass it (personally, I hold TP and WW above it). So some may claim it gets unfair due.

So, yeah. Go figure. Personally of all the Zelda games I've played I'd hold A Link to the Past (closely followed by Majora's Mask) as being the most overrated, but to each their own.
Agree 100%, Oot does not have to be you're favorite Zelda, but to call it being included in a top ten Zelda list a "travesty"? Come on.

plutoburns

Nov 19, 2014
OH FOR FUCKS SAKE!!!! WHere is the LOVE for Spirit Tracks!?!?!?

I haven't finished enough of them to make a complete 10 list, but here's my top 5.

5. Twilight Princess
First 3D zelda I finished. Wonderful overworld and characters. I especially liked how immersive it felt. You start out the game as a goat herder which really establishes your place in the world. And it remains the only Zelda to feature enough NPC to actually sustain a breeding population for the kingdom of hyrule (NO idea why this bugs me in the other games, but it really does). It has some underwhelming puzzles and dungeons, but its probably the most accessible 3D zelda to date.

4. Link to the Past
Untouchable classic? No. But its a DAMN well designed game that really helped solidify the zelda franchise. Really clever puzzles and its STILL the only zelda game i've bothered to get all the collectables in.

3. Wind Waker
To date the only free roaming open world the series has given us (please be amazing, zelda wiiu). Its overflowing with color, personable charm and fun design. I could sail around that map for hours. It had some excellent side missions that really took advantage of the open map. Yeah the triforce hunting in the end and the stealth in the beginning was kind of lame. But the middle meat of the game was great and the story was good too.

2. Links Awakening
Not sure why I love this one so much. Maybe its how offbeat it is. its got chain chomps, claw machines and giant magic whales in it. It makes excellent use of space, reusing parts of the relatively small island. The music is great and I got really invested in the characters of this dream land. I don't know, maybe trimming off all the fat was just what the series needs now a days.

1. Spirit Track
CHOOOO CHOOOOO!!! God I can't get over how much I love this game. The music is glorious! I could listen to the train overworld theme on loop for hours. The idea of having zelda follow you around and actually help for some of the dungeons AND the final boss fight was great and well implemented. The main dungeon design is a little bland but i ADORED the side quests. The all revolve around helping people in the various town to unlock more rail tracks which lead to optional dungeons. You really should try this game for yourself.