Top 3 Favorite Disney Movies

Whytewulf

Dec 20, 2009
I assume we are leaving out the Pixar stuff, so I would go with:

Fox and the Hound - My all-time favorite growing up
Aladdin - My favorite of the "new" breed, A great place for Williams to go crazy
Tron - Live action one.

adamthecg

Nov 19, 2009
Every single Movie mentioned in this thread is a contender for top spot for me. Except for lilo and stitch, but that's only because I watched that when I was an early teen desperately trying to fit it by only liking Die hard and James bond films.

Ok, so Here we go:
-disney animations
1. Fantasia 2000
2. Aristocats
3. Lion King

With honorable mentions going to - Aladdin, Robbin hood, Beauty and the Beast, Mulan and TH Jungle book.

-Pixar
1. Up
2. The Incredibles
3. Toy Story

With honorable mentions going to - The othere Toy Stories, Monsters Inc., Finding Nemo and WALL-E.

I cheated as well...

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
ScarletRider said:
Aladdin is my top pick, I can definitely relate to Al the most of all the Disney protagonist. And then there's The Great Mouse Detective. I love Sherlock Holmes and Philip Marlowe, and Basil is an excellent pastiche of the former, and like Jafar, Ratigan is just oh-so hammy, it's brilliant! As for the third, that's kind of a tough pick. I'm tempted to say Lion King, just because it's a classic, but runners up would have to be Tangled and Treasure Planet. The latter in particular strikes a chord with me.
Treasure Planet is definitely one of the most underrated things Disney has done in the last 10 years.

I believe my first pick would be Beauty and the Beast. I just really liked Belle as a princess. With the recent princesses they've definitely done their best to try something different from the typical damsel in distress princess, but I feel like Belle is more relatable than any of the others (well, for me anyway). All of the other princesses have something tangible they want--Snow White wanted a prince, Ariel wanted legs, Jasmine wanted to chart her own course, but Belle's desire is a bit harder to pin down. She wants adventure, like Jasmine in a way, but she also wants someone to understand and appreciate her eccentricities. Of all the princesses, I feel she's the most believable (stockholm syndrome, aside).

Two and three are VERY close ties between Hunchback of Notre Dame and Fantasia. Hunchback is just so engrossing, from the visuals to the music. I still get chills from Hellfire [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyS3weMlxLA] and Sanctuary [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZ4kMdy-MKM]. And Fantasia is just undeniably awesome--Walt's artistic and even surreal visions gone wild. It explores animation as not just a form of entertainment and storytelling, but a visual and visceral art, communicating ideas and emotions in abstract and nonlinear ways. Fantasia 2000 comes close to that feeling, but it just seems more tame and subdued than the original.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Death God said:
So, as I flipped through the channels today looking for anything interesting, I happened upon Disney's Aladdin and I remembered that when I was kid that I used to love that movie. and it got me thinking. So, what were/are your top 3 favorite Disney (or Pixar if you so choose)? Mine would be Aladdin, Hercules, and Mulan.
Switch Alladin with Basil the Great Mouse Detective and you got mine. Hercules will always be my fave, it was just sooooo stylish.

Meg knocked EVERY other disney princess down a peg... what? WHAT YOU MEAN SHE ISNT CLASSED AS ONE!? DISNEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEY!!!

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010

Im just going to leave this here, as I know most disney fan girls go gaga for abit of Jim.

I really dont get the hate for Treasure Planet. Its generally liked by most Disney fans but the reveiwers slated it. It has really stylish animation, deep moments, good character development, the musics great and it has alot of originality for a film based off a book made into about 10 other movies... I dont understand people sometimes.

Cyborg Silver was definatly one of my fave Disney characters, he's still a villian but he goes above the mostly complete evil character disney tends to lean towards. I loved the film.

Belaam

Nov 27, 2009
Judging by stuff I own, but not the stuff I bought for my daughters:

Traditional Animation
1. The Black Cauldron
2. Aladdin
3. Robin Hood

Pixar
1. The Incredibles
2. Toy Story 3
3. Finding Nemo

Live Action
1. The Black Hole
2. Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl
3. Dragonslayer

Special Categories
1. Nightmare Before Christmas

ScarletRider

Jan 6, 2010
Lilani said:
I believe my first pick would be Beauty and the Beast. I just really liked Belle as a princess. With the recent princesses they've definitely done their best to try something different from the typical damsel in distress princess, but I feel like Belle is more relatable than any of the others (well, for me anyway). All of the other princesses have something tangible they want--Snow White wanted a prince, Ariel wanted legs, Jasmine wanted to chart her own course, but Belle's desire is a bit harder to pin down. She wants adventure, like Jasmine in a way, but she also wants someone to understand and appreciate her eccentricities. Of all the princesses, I feel she's the most believable (stockholm syndrome, aside).
Belle has always bugged me a bit. I love her character design, but she always struck me as more than a little stuck up. Especially in that first song, she seems the sort to look down on the "little people". Although I suppose the behavior of the townsfolk later on kind of justifies it... but it still irks me that she feels herself to be oh-so-superior. That smugness right off the bat wasn't a very endearing quality.

Zhadramekel

Apr 18, 2010
I like nearly all of them a lot but I guess my top three are The Lion King, Bambi and Lady and the Tramp / Beauty and the Beast (not quite sure which gets the number 3 spot)

Oct 12, 2011
RoyalSorceress said:
ScarletRider said:
And then there's The Great Mouse Detective. I love Sherlock Holmes and Philip Marlowe, and Basil is an excellent pastiche of the former, and like Jafar, Ratigan is just oh-so hammy, it's brilliant!
The best thing about Ratigan was that he was voiced by Vincent Price. Even his singing voice.

My favs are

1. Beauty and the Beast
2. The Princess and the Frog
3. Oliver and Company

EDIT: This may be off topic, but does anyone remember the Gargoyles cartoon? God, I loved that show. Disney should make more shows like that, rather than all the live-action Hanna Montana crap.
I remember that show. Well, written. New ideas. Three dimensional, rounded characters. Man, we nee more show/game/etc. done that well. (Didn't hurt that it got voice-acting jobs for pretty much the entire cast of Star Trek: The Next Generation after it went off the air)

OT: Aladdin, Tron, Bednobs and Broomsticks

Yeah, yeah, the last two are half animated, but I still loved 'em.

Daffy F

Apr 17, 2009
Uh, probably The Lion King would be my favourite, then Monsters, Inc. Not really sure about the last one, though. I guess probably UP, although Ratatouille was pretty good too.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
ScarletRider said:
Belle has always bugged me a bit. I love her character design, but she always struck me as more than a little stuck up. Especially in that first song, she seems the sort to look down on the "little people". Although I suppose the behavior of the townsfolk later on kind of justifies it... but it still irks me that she feels herself to be oh-so-superior. That smugness right off the bat wasn't a very endearing quality.
Interesting, I've never heard anyone say that about her. I never really took her as arrogant. Just tired of the same-old-same-old, and maybe a bit annoyed that she's got nobody she really "clicks" with. Maybe I just identify with that more because I did grow up in a small town that I felt was a little too po-dunk and stuck in its ways.

penguindude42

Nov 14, 2010
I figure I'll cheat by putting my top 3 from the "classic" and "experimental" eras, as well as some honorable mentions.

Classic:
3. The Lion King - just because everyone sees it at some point
2. The Sword in the Stone - my favorite representation of Merlin
1. Sleeping Beauty - if only for a villain who turns into a dragon

Experimental:
3. The Emperor's New Groove - it was quite fun to see
2. Lilo & Stitch - because aliens
1. Treasure Planet - I have no hope for anyone who never wondered what Treasure Island would've been like if it were set in space (also with aliens)

Honorable Mentions:
3. Hercules - Greek mythology + Riffing on merchandising = HUGE SUCCESS
2. Aladdin - the bandit who turns out to be Al's father was pretty cool
1. Bambi - What can I say, I just like how misleadingly feminine he looks; it's rather adorable, really

~TOM<3

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
The Great Mouse Detective

Air Bud

The Mighty Ducks

of course i tried to exclude animated movies from being all three of my picks (mostly cause then thats not very fun and would be repetitive) but there are a lot of good ones of those.

Joccaren

Elite Member
Mar 29, 2011
1. The Lion King
2. Aladdin
3. Toy Story

However this really isn't fair, I love EVERY Disney movie I have seen to date. It was really hard actually picking a top 3.

Olivia Faraday

Mar 30, 2011
1. Beauty and the Best
2. Aladdin
3. Treasure Planet

Lion King would be a way better movie without Timon and Pumba confusing the atmosphere.

Beesejar

May 17, 2011
1. Hunchback of Notre Dame Because Even now It still seems extremely relevant and mature while still being kid friendly
2. Sword in the Stone Because I love Arthurian lore
3. Treasure Planet there was just some part of this film that just clicked in my head I can't really put my finger on it.