Top 3 FPS this gen

Captain Pirate

Nov 18, 2009
Battlefield 3
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Halo 3

Honourable mentions: Fallout 3, Metro 2033, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare, Battlefield Bad Company 1, and Halo ODST.

RyanBishop

Apr 28, 2010
COD4 MW
BF2142 (nobody mentions it no more... and I spent months playing this baby)
Half Life 2 (and all of its' spinoffs *read episodes*... yeah, I count them as a single gaming experience... what?)

SoranMBane

May 24, 2009
-Call of Duty 4
-Fallout: New Vegas
-Half-Life 2 Episodes

Bioshock and Fallout 3 also get honorable mentions. So do Portal 1&2, although I don't count those as real first person shooters, just extremely excellent first person puzzle games with shooter elements.

Bobzer77

May 14, 2008
MolotoK said:
Half Life 2 (is that current gen?)
If Microsoft and Sony could have their way we would be stuck in this gen forever so I assume it does.

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
CoD 4 (Best of the series, revolutionary and everything)

Bad Company 2 (Haven't played BF3 yet)

Left 4 Dead 2 (Most hours I've spent in any of my Steam games)

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
Based on popularity I am going

Halo
Gears of war
Call of Duty

Kirkby

May 3, 2010
lobster1077 said:
)rStrangelove]GTA4
Oblivion
BF3
GTA4 an fps? When pegasi fly ahhohohohoho.
I risk sounding like an arse here but im surprised you didnt pick up on Oblivion as well. I Dont remember many guns in Cyrodill :p

Mine would be....

Metro 2033
Cod 2
Left 4 Dead

Caliostro

Headhunter
Jan 23, 2008
Mhh... Tough call... I mean, how do we classify "this gen"?

Based on the average timeline people are going with, I'm going to say, under no specific order:

1) TF2, pre-trash updates - It was just a very, very, solid and tight game. Now it's ok, I guess... Worth playing, but no longer the landmark it was.
2) L4D - Because it brought something new and never before seen (like that at least) to the table. Yes, L4D2 is a better game, and renders L4D mostly obsolete, but for the most part it's "more of the same". The way the single player campaigns are built, the director, the nice pacing...
3) BF:BC2 - Despite the terrible support by DICE/EA, mostly due to a rushed out "patched up" test engine, the game itself was fantastic, particularly the terrain interaction. BF:BC2 is like playing your favorite Hollywood action movie, and that is awesome. The ambiance from BC2 is something you don't find in other games.

I know it's "top 3", but I honestly can't leave one of these out, so I gotta mention:

4) Portal - "It's not a first person shooter!". Yes it is. It's first person, and you spend the majority of the game shooting stuff (portals in this case). That's how you solve the puzzles. It's not a "first person killer", but it's definitely a "first person shooter". Portal is, simply put, one of the best games ever made in any genre. It's beautiful, clever, innovative, well designed and just...damn near perfect.

So my "top 4" is basically 3/4ths Valve. Go figure.

)rStrangelove]GTA4
Third person.

)rStrangelove]Oblivion
Third person and not a shooter.

[Edit:Apparently Oblivion can be first person. Still not a shooter.]

Diesel- said:
2. Orange Box
Ando85 said:
2. Orange Box
Not a game. A pack of 5 games.

Michael Hirst

May 18, 2011
Deus Ex Human Revolution
Team Fortress 2 (Prior to the Mann Co shit)
Left 4 Dead 2

(I don't count the fallout games, for me they're RPG's with shooter elements)

Most of this generations shooters for me will be forgettable by which I mean I can't see me plugging in an old console to play them again, this includes Resistance 1/2 (I've yet to play 3) Call of Duty, Battlefield games (yet to play 3) and Killzone 2/3.

lobster1077

Feb 7, 2011
Kirkby said:
lobster1077 said:
)rStrangelove]GTA4
Oblivion
BF3
GTA4 an fps? When pegasi fly ahhohohohoho.
I risk sounding like an arse here but im surprised you didnt pick up on Oblivion as well. I Dont remember many guns in Cyrodill :p

Mine would be....

Metro 2033
Cod 2
Left 4 Dead
Substitute guns for bows and arrows that are almost completely useless. And it's semi there.