Top 5 Friday: Top 5 Final Fantasy Games

SmoshGames

Feb 1, 2013
Top 5 Final Fantasy Games

This week, Joshua talks about the best of the best in the Final Fantasy franchise.

Watch Video

Absolutionis

Sep 18, 2008
To be honest, I agree with this list. I usually hate on lists that put 7 on a pedestal because it's usually "My-First-JRPG" for some people. 6 and 5 tend to be forgotten and Tactics ignored due to being divergent from the series. I may disgree with some things out of pure preference, but it's a good list.

It's a good, honest list that doesn't shove things in there for controversy and doesn't put 7 on a pedestal just because.

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
For me it is
5:6
4:8
3:10
2:7
1:9

But whatever floats your boat.

aeric90

Mar 31, 2010
I turned this off when the mistake of equating FFV with the NA release of FFII was made.

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
So that was basically a FinalFantasy Fanwank. As somebody who has never really played the series it felt like an empty "Hey guise, isn't his series great? It is, isn't it? It's the best series!"

Alternately it feels like "Hey, you complained last week about only new games! Well this week we DIDN'T do any of the newest games! So there!"

delroland

Sep 10, 2008
aeric90 said:
I turned this off when the mistake of equating FFV with the NA release of FFII was made.
Yup, IV was USII, Josh. Also, the gameplay in 8 was terrible, as was the card game.

tldr (or is it tldw?): 8, 5, Tactics, 7, 6

Mine: 9, 4, 1, 7, 6

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Top Final Fantasy Lists are always interesting because everyone always has such different opinions.
For me the list goes like this...
#5: Final Fantasy 10
#4: Final Fantasy 12
#3: Final Fantasy 7
#2: Final Fantasy 9
#1: Final Fantasy 6

Though If I were to count Spin Offs it would look more like...
#5: Final Fantasy 12
#4: Final Fantasy 7
#3: Final Fantasy 9
#2: Final Fantasy Tactics
#1: Final Fantasy 6

All things considered I'm probably one of the few people who has no abiding love for Final Fantasy 4. I don't hate it... I just... don't love it.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Falterfire said:
So that was basically a FinalFantasy Fanwank. As somebody who has never really played the series it felt like an empty "Hey guise, isn't his series great? It is, isn't it? It's the best series!"

Alternately it feels like "Hey, you complained last week about only new games! Well this week we DIDN'T do any of the newest games! So there!"
In all fairness, the newer games are pretty awful. As for me, I probably would ranked the top 5 thusly:

5. FF VIII
4. FF IV
3. FF VII
2. FF IX
1. FF VI

Problems I had with his list... I can see why he chose FF V, but the characters in that game never grabbed me. As for FF Tactics... I love the game, but it really shouldn't count since it isn't really a Final Fantasy game; it's a Tactics Ogre sequel wearing a Final Fantasy wig. No seriously... check out these screenshots of the Playstation version of Tactics Ogre and tell me it anything looks familiar:

Arqus_Zed

Aug 12, 2009
I know this is all "personal opinion" and such, but I'm still gonna complain about it.

FF VII and VI are obvious choices, they're in every FF list, kind of cliche they have to cover the 1 and 2 spots.
FF V and VIII? Huh, strange. Not that I'm exactly against it. (But can you really complain about FF X-2 if you like the FF V job system?)
No FF IV? Huh, strange. Not that I care.
No FF IX? Huh, strange. Go eat a dick!

Captain Sunshine

Mar 5, 2013
Interesting, I've never seen V in anyone's top, but a good reason if you're a big fan of the job system. And massive props to including Final Fantasy Tactics, I've been a huge fan of that since playing War of the Lions on my PSP. In fact, it kept my PSP alive for years.

I'm still not sure about VI. I feel like VII gets called out a lot for having very loud fans who're very nostalgic (I love 7 but I'd never put it top of best FFs, I agree it hasn't aged well), but having gone back to try and play VI I don't think it's number one material either and wonder if it's not just another case of nostalgia. It's topping a lot of 'best' lists at the moment, and I can't help but feel it's coming from a lot of people who grew up in the SNES era. For example, having gone back to play Chrono Trigger I do agree that is amazing still, but VI... Couldn't finish it.

Of course, ranking the 'best' is entirely arbitrary since there's no real definition of what way we're looking at the best, just saying which one we prefer, which means opinion which means YAY DIVERSITY! Opinions for all!

On that note, I'd give 9 or 10 my top spot for overall polish of gameplay, music, story and characters. As far as I can tell they're still good to play now, not suffering from VII's terrible script translation or broken materia system. Though 9's plot started to fall apart towards the end like most FFs do, and the characters kept getting forgotten about. So hey Freya, how's that development of yours going since Fratley buggered off?

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
Captain Sunshine said:
Interesting, I've never seen V in anyone's top, but a good reason if you're a big fan of the job system.
It really doesn't get enough love. The level of character customization created through such a simple development system is pure genius. The story is overly long, the characters are a little bit bland, and the graphics are somehow worse than IV, but it has some unique dungeons, some of my favorite SNES music, and of course that awesome job system.

Omnicide

Aug 6, 2011
aeric90 said:
That was an offensively bad failure to do even your most basic Wikipedia research.

Oh, and I greatly disagree with the man's opinions as well, with the exception of where he put FF6. For me:

6 > 9=12 > 4 > 3 > 10~7 > 1 > 2 > 13 > 8

Never played 5, or tactics or whatever, so they aren't on my list. As well as the fact that ff11 and ff14 DO NOT COUNT. they are a DIFFERENT GENRE. So there.

And the number of times I have to find myself defending how good Final Fantasy XII is to a fanboi of Final Fantasy XIII, I actually have lost count.

Anyway. My avatar ftw.

Milanezi

Mar 2, 2009
Scars Unseen said:
Problems I had with his list... I can see why he chose FF V, but the characters in that game never grabbed me. As for FF Tactics... I love the game, but it really shouldn't count since it isn't really a Final Fantasy game; it's a Tactics Ogre sequel wearing a Final Fantasy wig.
As a matter of fact, that's EXACTLY how FF Tactics was made, it's not really a FF game at all, it's a Tactics Ogre game that has a FF "theme" which granted the title. And well, I hate that sort of game :p

Raesvelg

Oct 22, 2008
So they managed to make a Top 5 that panders to the FF elitists while simultaneously screwing up something that would drive a lot of them into a frothing fit (conflating FFV with FFII in the US)...

Huh.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
My list usually pisses people off because of what my number one is:
5.) FF VI
4.) FF X-2 (don't judge me)
3.) FF X (LPing the International, which is gonna be fun)
2.) FF IX
1.) FF XII (mainly the International one since it's soooo good)

That's right XII is my favorite Final Fantasy game out of all of them.
Omnicide said:
I have to defend my love of FF XII all the time. Heck I mainly play the international one now which helps improve my points, but still people give XII too much flak if you ask me.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I really like seeing other people's Final Fantasy top-5's/top-10's. There are some people who outright refuse to include spin-offs and I'm sure there are people who prefer spin-offs to any of the numerical releases. I can respect this guy's list though. It's not like I could fault anybody's list of course, since a lot of these are like listing your favorite family members.

Anyway, my top 10 because a lot of other people have done it:

5 - IV
4 - II
3 - VIII
2 - IX
1 - VI

Including spin-offs:

5 - Crisis Core
4 - VIII
3 - Mystic Quest
2 - IX
1 - VI

I would almost mark VI and IX as equals at this point but I can't help but think IX is a game that I can't look at in any way other than through a rose tint. Learning abilities in IX is like learning spells in VI (only it uses accessories instead of Espers). I loved the characters in both though but even before the mid-point of VI it seems like there's more going for it than IX has. I'll need to go through IX again once I finish VI.