Top 5 Friday: Top 5 Most Gruesome Videogame Deaths

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
I dunno if anyone has already said it, but can we give honorable mention to Megaman here? He wasn't like Mario where it was just like "Oops, got hit, now I'm dead." With Megaman it was literally like...every molecule in his body just exploded.

This one was a bit better than the last episode, but I'm still just not feeling the series. It almost seems like they just pick games that they like...and then create episode ideas around those games.

Like when they did Top 5 FPS games and gave it to Battlefield 3. That in itself wasn't a problem, but like every reason they gave for it just felt like stuff that they're basically going to say the same stuff about when Battlefield 4 comes out.

If this show actually did some research, I think the idea of top 5 gruesome deaths could have been unique, but try looking into the subsections of games, stuff that not everyone might have heard of, expand from the triple A library.

I don't think the phrase "What a great game." should be used for this video. We were promised gruesome death scenes. Not a list of games you like that happen to have some relatively gruesome scenes in them.

redpete17

Nov 19, 2009
I noticed that all of the games listed are recent, oldest being God of War(1) which came out in 2005, and all could be played on a PlayStation. This smacks of poor research. A proper title should be "5 games I played recently which had really good gore. I agree with the well-written critique by sg137iu.

On a side note, allow me to list a game older than the host: The Immortal
This game still has some of the more gruesome and creative deaths you'll see. You are not immortal, you will die... a lot.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
AC10 said:
major_chaos said:
This is terrifying. Smosh Games is (IMO) a black hole from which no creativity or talent can ever emerge, so the idea of the corporate overlords trying to force that garbage on the Escapist is worrisome.
I'd honestly say that's a LITTLE bit strong of a statement, but I really don't like or have any interest in the majority of their content. In fact, I believe they were frequently listed in one of those "why is this youtube channel so popular?" type threads.
nothing (and i meant it) can be too strong when talking about smosh crew. they are a plague on the internet.

RonHiler said:
So does anyone know what happened to Lisa's top 5 show? I really enjoyed it (and yes, perhaps part of the reason was because she was cute, but I also enjoyed the content quite a lot, I still remember her rant about Robin's clompy magnetic shoes, which always brings a smile to my face). That show just disappeared with no explanation, which always left me wondering. What happened? Was it the Escapist that cancelled it? Was it her? Some outside force?

I have no strong feelings about this show one way or the other. Too soon to tell :)
Lisa was on Media Sandwitch podcast once and the reason she gave was that she just couldnt dedicate enough time to it anymore as it took her a lot of time to do the research and stuff.
Edit, actually listen to her yourself: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/media-sandwich/5419-Media-Sandwich-Episode-7