Top 5 Friday: Top 5 Reasons For Star Wars Battlefront 3

MrGalactus

Elite Member
Sep 18, 2010
JoJo said:
MrGalactus said:
I think it's healthiest to just let Battlefront 3 go. Lets just drop it and give up hope forever. It's not happening.
EVER.
I disagree, there are a number of instances of fans constantly bringing up an idea until those high up actually take notice. Take for example the Pokemon Gold and Silver remakes for DS, me and my fellow pokemon fans were whining for years about the idea and eventually Game Freak actually made the damn games.

Battlefront III may or may not happen but there's no reason to give up hope just yet!
Well, the Pokemon things were tidy licences owned by the one company, but Battlefront was part Lucasarts and part Pandemic, which doesn't exist anymore. I suppose if we can convince Disney to go ahead, they have the legal pull to make it happen, but when have people convinced Disney of anything?

MrGalactus

Elite Member
Sep 18, 2010
Mega_Manic said:
Welp, that was sorta pedestrian.

"IT'S HAVE GRAPHICS GUYZ!"

...Yeah. There is a reason the Escapists content providers unique perspectives or at least unique type of content with very distinct personalities. List 5 content is a dime a dozen.
True dat. It must be tough to find someone else who does Yahtzee/Stirling/Moviebob stuff that'll talk about things they don't already cover, though.

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
I doubt this game would happen in the current political climate. All this idiocy with senators, politicians and the media claiming and believing games (especially shooters) are "murder simulators" is not going to go away (sigh).

Disney would not want to touch this with a 10ft barge poll while this crap is grabbing air time and headlines.

swimon

Jul 23, 2009
Terrible. First of all why are you acting as if I know who you are? That's a kinda obnoxious way to introduce yourself.

Secondly if you're going to do something as tired as a top 5 list don't you have to make that as interesting and thoughtful as you can to stand out from all the other top 5 lists? This instead was some of the most vacuous and insipid stuff I've ever seen. "It would be so much better you guys because of grafix!" I'm a big fan of star wars battlefront but that doesn't make this any less terrible. There's no insight into what makes star wars battlefront good or interesting. No comments on game feel, asynchronicity of play, player expression through choice of roles or how it fails/succeeds to adapt star wars through design. I suppose there were sort of a comment on scale but it didn't talk about why a large scale worked or how it was evoked in previous titles it only assumed that big = good and since BF3 was bigger surely it was gooder!

Thirdly, and I don't intend to be overly mean here but, shouldn't this sort of show be hosted by someone with charisma? Lisa Foiles top 5 was perhaps about as insightful as this show but she was at least funny and her manic energy gave that show a breakneck pace that was enjoyable for its own sake. Also she always came off as "whoooo! isn't everything fun" instead of coming off as a needy fanboy who thinks developers owe him something.

Ok that was too mean and I'll stop now but I probably wont watch this show again... Unless they do something super weird like "top 5 reasons Nifflas reminds me of a young Cousteau"

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Palademon said:
[small]I'm actually confused about Dorkly getting away with posting every new Zero Punctuation video...[/small]
There's an embed link on the videos because we still get the views and serve ads. If they we're rehosting that would be something else.

templar1138a

Dec 1, 2010
Haven't watched this video and not planning to for two reasons.

1. The Battlefront 3 project was scrapped a LONG time ago. Gedovarit.
2. If the Escapist has brought back top-five videos, where's Lisa?

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Huh.

Well, okay.

I'll repeat what others have said, that any reference to "Top 5" kind of makes me feel a mild pang for the loss of Lisa Foiles. That said, this really wasn't too bad. It could use a little more personality- by which I do not mean more sound effects or graphic overlays. But we've certainly hosted content I appreciated less, like some of the early GinxTV videos.

I don't think we've got another Zero Punctuation, MovieBob, or Jimquisition, here, but I'm willing to give 'em a chance.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
The only reason they haven't made Battlefront 3 is because someone in Lucasarts has a huge fear of piles of money. That is the only possible reason I can think of that they haven't made it, everyone wants it but sadly it looks like we'll never get it.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
These are all valid reasons, and there are many other valid reasons besides.

However, the part where this all falls down is expecting anyone who has the rights to anything Star War related right now to be running on logic that can be recognized by humans.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
tautologico said:
As far as I know, Koch Media does not have any relation with the Escapist.
You are right, a previuos posted has thrown me offtrack. Apperently it is Alloy Digital, the company i know only from smosh (but apperently having more than that) that bought Escapist.
http://www.adweek.com/news/technology/alloy-digital-acquires-escapist-moves-deeper-gaming-world-145204

which has garnered 740,000 subscribers and over 40 million video views in its first seven weeks
Two guys playing mario on wii and offscreen going "uhh ahhh ohhh ahhh uhhh" for 8 minutes apparently is big deal nowadays.....

LittleMikey

Renegade
Aug 31, 2009
I'm actually on the side of the argument where Battlefront 3 should NOT be made. Not because I didn't like the original games, I loved them. But, because I know that Battlefront 3 would be made to appease as wide (read: young) an audience as possible.

There are several problems they would face, the first being as mentioned in the video, graphics. Sure, it would look amazing on the frostbite engine, but think of the resources required. You can't just re-skin Battlefield 3 and remove the brown filter, what makes Battlefront so great is the AI controlled units contributing to the fights making everything feel much larger then it actually is. Planetside 2 is a shooter with the kind of scale you'd want to see Battlefront 3 have, but graphics wouldn't be as great. And the publisher would always assume that graphics = profits, so they would sacrifice the scale of the game to put it on the latest engine.

There are a few more business issues that would go along with this that I believe would make the publisher wary of backing the game, including the fact that the past few Star Wars branded games haven't done so well. TOR is hardly a success story, having cost so much and going F2P so quickly. And this goes back to the graphics issue. If you're making a shooter, they would say "We want a game 'better' then Call of Duty" not understanding that 'better' means more then just graphics.

But, if the game does get made, I really hope it is made by a team who knew what made Battlefront 2 so great, and they care about making a good successor.

Mar 30, 2010
Meh, first impressions not good. The same old reasons you read in any Battlefront 3 thread voiced by a total random who seemed to think I should know who he is.

I know first episodes are always kinda rough around the edges, but really?

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
at least Ian and Anthony are not in the video. They can go eat a bag of dicks.

Matthi205

Mar 8, 2012
Kenjitsuka said:
Boring, bland and ranty video.
My thoughts exactly.
I guess my hopes where skyhigh because of thoughts of genuinely fun Top 5 with Lisa Foiles videos, which you can still see on the Escapist.
Same thing here...

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Strazdas said:
captainfluoxetine said:
Strazdas said:
Susan Arendt said:
Strazdas said:
MrCollins said:
So Themis sold out. sad news.
Its hard to relax knowing that your favorite website has sold out to one of the worst companies out there. sorry, cant do that. First Jimquisition was miles better than ANYTHING smosh guys have ever put out (and yes ive been following thme on youtube) and evne then Jim grew a lot real fast.
Well, thanks for the information. ill go cry some now.
You'd have preferred it if we went out of business?
Surely there were other ways to fix the monetary problems than selling out to worst thing out there?
Also, depending on how much effect they have on the site - possibly.
EA? If I've learned anything here its that when people say 'Worst thing' in refrence to company they mean EA.
Ea is gaming company. And its not the worst one out there, but its biggest of the bad folks, so it gets referenced often.
Koch is a publishing company, and its with the worst out there.
Except we weren't acquired by Koch, we were acquired by Alloy. And if you genuinely believe that all of us losing our jobs and The Escapist no longer existing is a preferable choice to anything, frankly, I have nothing further to say to you.

ron1n

Jan 28, 2013
In my opinion, Smosh are tied with PewDiePie and Tobuscus as one of the most annoying 'gaming related' channels on Youtube.

A shame Escapist has to promote their prepubescent rubbish but I guess if it means the rest of the site can continue to conduct business as usual, then it's a fair trade off.

Also really? Top 5 reasons why BF3 should be made?

Better quickly follow up with 'Top 5 Reasons The War Z sucks' or perhaps the 'Top 5 Reasons why you should continue breathing'

Insightful stuff -_-