Top 5 games of all time

Sean Hollyman

Jun 24, 2011
1: Pokemon emerald- Though Sapphire was my first, Emerald improved pretty much everything. I spend hours and hours on it, and 3rd Gen definetely has the best designs and music.

2: Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater - Amazing game, the ending made me cry man tears. What a twist!

3: The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker - My first and favorite TLOZ game. The world, the music, the art style, the characters, AGH IT'S ALL SO GOOD!

4: Star Wars Battlefront 2 - Spent a lot of precious PS2 time playing this. I saved up for like a month and traded in LOADS of games towards it. The moment I finally strolled up to the counter and FINALLY got it was amazing.

5: Red Dead Redemption- Probably my favorite open world game. John is such a likeable character and the Western setting is great

Sandernista

Feb 26, 2009
I'm glad to see Fallout: New Vegas getting so much love! I hope you're ready to let me get away with putting four RPGs on a top five list, two from our favorite bug factory.
1. Fallout New Vegas (PC)

What can I say? I'm a sucker for good story telling and almost all aspects of this game are perfect. From the claustrophobic and frantic feeling of the Sierra Madre, to the wide open and dying West Vegas, we have environments that by themselves tell the story. Package those environments with some of the most well characterized people you could meet in a vidya game and you have my favorite game of all time.

2. Victoria II

I doubt anyone will put this on their list, but it has sucked out almost as many hours as New Vegas from me. For the first time in a Paradox grand strategy game countries had character. Rather than playing finger paint with a map of the world, Europe, or Japan, we control countries that have character. They have people, and those people have some serious issues! You think the US is partisan? Try living in my Arab Union where every week there's either a Liberal uprising or a reactionary one! This game may be a bit more difficult than other grand strategy, HoI3 and Aurora aside, but the learning curve wasn't steep enough to turn me off and the challenge has me coming back. Granted, there are some serious issues. The aforementioned national character only applies to twenty some nations but luckily the good folks over on the Pdox forums have created mods to address almost every nation or national movement out there.

3. Alpha Protocol

I just played this one, so it's pretty fresh in my mind and may be subject to change. That said it really blew me away. This is a game where player choice RULES. This is a game where you are forced to make decisions, and make them fast. You are only given a couple seconds to choose whether to be a smartass, an emotionless drone, a snarky smooth-talker, etc. and you are encouraged to use your skills to trick and coerce information out of other characters. Everything revolves around these dialogue sections and every game mechanic feeds into this idea that your choices are permanent. You made that choice and now you are going to live with it, lest you brave the horribly clunky save mechanics and replay the last half hour, if you even thought to save BEFORE EVERY LEVEL. Seriously, try to save scum in this game, Obsidian made it HARD. Joking aside, the game does really make you live with your choices. Deciding whether a character lives or dies when you only have five seconds to make that choice is hard, dealing with the fall-out is even harder. You regret every decision but you would make it again in a heartbeat.

4. Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask

I grew up on this game and it still holds up. It is an upgrade from Ocarina in nearly every way. Is there higher praise?

5. The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

I'm glad this is getting so much love as well. Not only a fantastically crafted game, but also my first Elder Scrolls game. The rolling Colovian hillsides was my first experience in the Sandbox genre as well (unless you count MM). Although it is not a popular opinion I believe that this was the highpoint of the series, nearly everything was better in this game than every other game in the series. The only major flaw is the blandness in the landscape, and even that is overlooked in favor of everything else that is amazing with this game. We see that story pop up with almost every aspect of its design. Floaty combat? Amazing vistas you could get lost in. Potato Face? A world that feels alive, from the rangers hunting in the wooded Colovian region, to the diners eating in a cozy inn. Bland world? Some of the best quests in a game EVER. We have Whodunit, The Ultimate Heist, A Brush With Death, the final Fighter's Guild arc, Order of the Virtuous Blood and those are only my top five! Horse Armor? Shivering Isles.