Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Top 6 Reasons to Get Back Into Pokemon

A few reasons to get back into Pokemon.

Read Full Article

FFKonoko

Nov 26, 2009
Got a 2DS just so I could pick up a copy of X, sharing a house with someone playing Y on 3DS tipped me over. Cheaper, and the loss of 3D and folding didn't bother me at all.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
And then there's the one Pokemon that should be reason enough on its own.

Hawlucha is just the best :D

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Pokemon X & Y is exactly what the franchise needed. I'm like a lot of others who just came back to the series after Gen 1. Fucking great game.

JayRPG

Oct 25, 2012
I sold my 3DS just before this came out, not thinking, I've got one of the limited edition Zelda 3DS XLs on pre-order but it doesn't come out for another month.

Argh, the pain.

LittleBlackDragon

Jul 29, 2013
I've played every generation of Pokemon So far (I had all of them at one point except for leaf green).

But, I agree that there are a lot of things to like about X and Y, like some much needed additions. While I am sad that having your Pokemon follow you around is restricted to HGSS, Pokemon Amie is a nice little mini-game to play (also, high fiving my Vaporean was awesome. ^^) And super training was an absolute must. I'm not really a competitive battler so most of the time I don't EV train, but I feel more motivated now that I can actually track my progress visually and don't have to look at charts all the time to figure out what I need to do. (Getting reset bags is a rare thing though and I want a few so I can retrain my main team so I might actually be able to use them in competitions.)

While I thought Black and White (the original ones) were very good, I think this would be a better entry point for people who are new to the franchise or haven't played the games in a while.

Not to say I don't have some complaints, but most of them are nit picky and rather trivial.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
The last generation I played was the second, both on it's original release and it's DS re-release and I still think it's the best, BUT sure X/Y does look like an incredibly interesting addition to the franchise and it might very well be a nice excuse to get a 3DS (or a 2DS in my case).

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
-Dragmire- said:
Andy Shandy said:
And then there's the one Pokemon that should be reason enough on its own.

Hawlucha is just the best :D
I just wish he could evolve.
I already have the name for his final form, Haluchadoom! or Wrestlure, whatever you like!

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
You didn't consider that some people might not have nor really want a 3DS, but have an old DS, like I do. Here are a couple pairs of DS Pokemon games that aren't quite so good in graphics, but are interesting nonetheless:

HeartGold/SoulSilver, the Gen 2 remakes, can be played ENTIRELY with only the touchscreen and directional pad. The older Start-DPad-A-DPad-A-B-B method for menus is still available, but tapping touchscreen "buttons" is quicker and oddly fun. Also, Johto and Kanto cities look more characterized. Ecruteak City with Autumn-style trees <3

Black2/White2, the advanced Gen 5 games, have in-battle idle animations, an intriguing story (I presume, as I have not seen it but have seen the Black/White story), and most importantly: a Local Pokedex that is comparable to X&Y's Dex. You can battle with overlooked monsters from middle generations or your fan favorites all over again in the semi-new region.

deserteagleeye

Sep 8, 2010
There's only one thing I want to know about X and Y. Does the main character ever wear their glasses on their eyes or do they just keep them on their head and never use them like a douchebag?

Bobipine

Jan 22, 2010
deserteagleeye said:
There's only one thing I want to know about X and Y. Does the main character ever wear their glasses on their eyes or do they just keep them on their head and never use them like a douchebag?
Pretty sure you never get to wear them, but you can remove them, or change them for some buttons or feathers and possibly other things I haven't seen.

rees263

The Lone Wanderer
Jun 4, 2009
I used to love Pokemon, and honestly I would like to have played all of them. My problem is that the most modern handheld I own is a Game Boy Colour so I dropped out after Gold/Silver. I am sad that I've so far missed out on all the games on (3)DS so I'd like to get one someday, and Pokemon will definitely be on the list when I do.

hickwarrior

a samurai... devil summoner?
Nov 7, 2007
Xman490 said:
You didn't consider that some people might not have nor really want a 3DS, but have an old DS, like I do. Here are a couple pairs of DS Pokemon games that aren't quite so good in graphics, but are interesting nonetheless:

HeartGold/SoulSilver, the Gen 2 remakes, can be played ENTIRELY with only the touchscreen and directional pad. The older Start-DPad-A-DPad-A-B-B method for menus is still available, but tapping touchscreen "buttons" is quicker and oddly fun. Also, Johto and Kanto cities look more characterized. Ecruteak City with Autumn-style trees <3

Black2/White2, the advanced Gen 5 games, have in-battle idle animations, an intriguing story (I presume, as I have not seen it but have seen the Black/White story), and most importantly: a Local Pokedex that is comparable to X&Y's Dex. You can battle with overlooked monsters from middle generations or your fan favorites all over again in the semi-new region.
About the sequel to gen 5, It's more about what happens after the events of black and white. However, I feel that BW2 has more content than BW, so I think it's better to go for BW2 in that regard.

Also, I think the story's fine. I read it because that's just who I am. But it might be less interesting than BW from what I've read about it.

ZeroAE

Jun 7, 2010
For the ones who have XY, is there still a Dream World?
That was the most annoying feature of BW, the fact to get the berries needed to lower my pokemon's EV, I needed to wait once a day to do some annoying minigames on my PC.

otakon17

Jun 21, 2010
ZeroAE said:
For the ones who have XY, is there still a Dream World?
That was the most annoying feature of BW, the fact to get the berries needed to lower my pokemon's EV, I needed to wait once a day to do some annoying minigames on my PC.
No, instead there is a training bag that resets your pokemon's EV to 0, allowing you to train even a level 100 'mon to your liking. The only issue is that its given out randomly by having your 'mon in training wail on the training bag in the "Super Training" screen.

OT: All good points, and honestly its rekindled my love of Pokemon. I'm a 1st Generation guy, I played Blue and Red and that was it really. I tried the GBA remakes once and... God I think they screwed that up something fierce. But this one I'm loving it so far. My only issue is whoever designed the camera for Lumiose City is a moron. It's too damn close, I can't see where I'm going. Why not a 3/4th's overhead view dammit?

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
This is one of the reasons I got a 3DS a month or so ago in the first place (Sonic Lost World being the other)
I haven't really played a pokemon game since red and blue, bit of silver then soul silver (3rd gym leader, hardly counts).
So having jumped into this it's REALLY fun and impressive how much they got in here, but if you're going into it and you want the game to not be a breeze (over leveled by a factor of 20 levels) TURN OFF EXP SHARE
If you don't it's going to be you stomping everyone because even pokemon you aren't using at 18 levels over the competition.
If you have any interest in Pokemon, get this one, don't look to hard into which version because there's little difference, grab it in a shop, grab it on the eshop, whatever it's worth it.