Top Horror Games of the Decade.

JoeKickAzz

Feb 22, 2009
Its been 10 years now and theres only been a few games that really scared the hell out of us, and I want to know which was your top Horror Game of the decade

For me, its gonna have to be Silent Hill 2. Great story, scary as hell, introduced gaming icon (pyramid head) and one of Ben Yahtzees favorite games.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Silent Hill 2 for sure.

Here's a little thingy I did about it and why it's still the scariest:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.205006-Miracles-Whip-SILENT-HILL-2-and-why-its-still-the-scariest-game-ever-made?page=1

My name is Fiction

Sep 27, 2010
JoeKickAzz said:
Its been 10 years now and theres only been a few games that really scared the hell out of us, and I want to know which was your top Horror Game of the decade

For me, its gonna have to be Silent Hill 2. Great story, scary as hell, introduced gaming icon (pyramid head) and one of Ben Yahtzees favorite games.
YES, Another fan of the peak of the franchise... before american developers ruined it <-<

Lazarus Long

Nov 20, 2008
Fatal Frame gets my vote. And although it's not a horror game, I don't think I've ever had feelings of dread equal to flying into dust clouds in Freelancer. Can't exactly tell you why.

the Revenator

Mar 11, 2009
Metro 2033. If you argue, just no. That game blew my fuckin mind. Atmosphere, perfect. Setting, perfect. Voicing, beautiful. Making you stare down a 10 foot tall monster? Got that. Stealth? Check. Knives? Check. Gas masks? Check. Heart pounding terror? Check.

Candrian

Mar 27, 2009
Thief 3, not actually a horror game but the Shalebridge Cradle level pisses all over pretty much every other horror game out there.

Bludge

Jul 19, 2009
Gotta say Call Of Cthulhu: Dark Corners Of The Earth. One of the scariest games i have ever played.

Hader

Jul 7, 2010
Regardless of the time period we are discussing here, if Amnesia: Dark Descent isn't included in the list then I will just be disappointed. Seriously is one of the most well made horror games I have ever seen and/or played, whether or not it was a great game (gameplay wise) can always be up for debate but I think it is hard to say they didn't pull off the horror elements perfectly

Hound174

Dec 28, 2010
Hader said:
Regardless of the time period we are discussing here, if Amnesia: Dark Descent isn't included in the list then I will just be disappointed. Seriously is one of the most well made horror games I have ever seen and/or played, whether or not it was a great game (gameplay wise) can always be up for debate but I think it is hard to say they didn't pull off the horror elements perfectly
No Doubt *nods* I have never been more scared, Doom 3 made me Jump, and nervous at the age of 12, But Amnesia.. Wow.. It was made purely to scare you, it is a horror Game for sure.
Fatal frame I kind of agree, but I never felt the fear my friends spoke of :|
As for Silent hill..well.. I only played 4.. had 'moments'

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Amnesia. Easily.

Although I have never played Silent Hill 2. So for all I know, that could be better.

the Revenator said:
Metro 2033. If you argue, just no. That game blew my fuckin mind. Atmosphere, perfect. Setting, perfect. Voicing, beautiful. Making you stare down a 10 foot tall monster? Got that. Stealth? Check. Knives? Check. Gas masks? Check. Heart pounding terror? Check.
Meh. It was a decent game, certainly had its moments. Also, I agree with you regarding the atmosphere and setting. But scary? Come on. Maybe to a twelve year old.

Incidentally, how did you stare down librarians? I remember the guy telling me to look them in the eye, but no matter what I did they just attacked me. I ended up just sticking grenades to their faces and pouring darts into them until they died.

the Revenator

Mar 11, 2009
Zhukov said:
the Revenator said:
Meh. It was a decent game, certainly had its moments. Also, I agree with you regarding the atmosphere and setting. But scary? Come on. Maybe to a twelve year old.

Incidentally, how did you stare down librarians? I remember the guy telling me to look them in the eye, but no matter what I did they just attacked me. I ended up just sticking grenades to their faces and pouring darts into them until they died.
Really? Well I just kinda put the crosshairs directly over their forehead and sat there not moving. And well I was just happy to see a game that understood atmosphere and all that. (Also I'm a sucker for stealth knives and gas masks) also it is the only game that I actually play with the language on Russian. (I am Russian but most games can't translate for shit)

mParadox

Susurration
Sep 19, 2010
Country
Germany
Clive Barker's Undying [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.252744-Stupid-Beyond-Relief-Reviews-Clive-Barkers-Undying]. No question about it.

Jezzascmezza

Aug 18, 2009
I'm not a horror game fan, but I just want to ask: Isn't the decade technically considered to be from 2000-2009?
Don't we all consider 1989 to be the last year of the eighties?
We didn't include 1970 as part of the sixties.
2000-2010 also includes eleven years in total, and a decade is ten years.
If someone could prove me wrong, I would like them to.
Maybe in different countries, the decade is considered 2001-2010, rather than 2000-2009.
If I am somehow correct, shouldn't we have had all these 'best "____" of the decade' topics at the end of last year?

the Revenator

Mar 11, 2009
thejboy88 said:
Agreed. Silent Hill 2 is the best of the series, as well as the best horror game ever made.
I bet half the people haven't even played silent hill 2 you just have watched Zero Punctuation and thought 'oh yes agree' I played it and the graphics are ass crackers and sucked fat chode.

LawlessSquirrel

Jun 9, 2010
Silent Hill 2, 3 and 4, Amnesia: Dark Decent and Condemned: Criminal Origins are my suggestions. As for number 1, I can't say. I need a larger sample size!

Should have played Fatal Frame when I had the chance :(

Assuming decade is being used loosely, of course.

Dr. Octogonopus

Aug 31, 2010
Final Fantasy X-2. That is probably them most horrific game ever made. It's so bad it's scary.
But in the more traditional sense of a horror game Siren BloodCurse has my vote