top ten anime of all time (series or movie)

Deadcyde

Jan 11, 2011
well i would ask what to recommend but i own or have seen quite a few anime, just nothing as of late and by looking at these lists there have been a few i've heard of i should have really looked at.

and Miyazaki is amazing. ^_^

though i wonder about the ova series of hellsing, i own the boxset of the original 4 dvds, but i'm guessing they are not the same?

also there was another couple i was told about blood+ and hunter X hunter (i think it's X..)

nonetheless i will put up my fave ten but in no real order

Neon genesis evangelion

cowboy beebop

trigun

princess mononoke

ninja scroll (the original movie)

ghost in the shell (movies and series though i've yet to see the third series)

FLCL (yeah, i had a bit of a crush on the chick too)

technoman/tekkaman? (first i ever saw)

devil man

rurouni kenshin

now a few of those got on due to nostalgia rather then how good they were, but still.

Nerafim

Jul 12, 2011
BRTurtle said:
my question is who doesn't have cowboy bebop on there list and why?
My mind can not imagine the heinous workings of such twisted minds.

But joking aside, it is criminal for a top10 list to not have Cowboy Bebop. Heck, no matter what kind of top10 list it is even.

I had it on mine, tho' I didn't exactly put the series. I really loved the series, but I prioritized animes that had a tighter continuity in their episodes, Bebop was just too episodic, and I am likely biased on that, but there you have it.

I will however, stick for a very long time to the claim that the Cowboy Bebop movie is probably the best anime anything of all time (so far, but it's going too strong), and will defend it by tooth and nail.

-Nera

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Not in any order

Series-
Cowboy Bebeop
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
FLCL
Samurai Champloo
One Piece
Eureka 7
Tenchi Muyo
Tengen-Toppa Gurren Laggan
Burn Up Excess
Paranoia Agent

Movie-
Laputa: Castle in the Sky
Cowboy Bebop The Moive
Paprika
Spirit Away
Tokyo Godfathers
The Gild who Leap through time
Porco Rosso
Whisper of the Heart
Howl Noving Castle
Kiki's Delivery Service

Yeah I know I am mostly listing Studio Ghibli films but they are so good!

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Japanese animated movies and shows are so different from eachother that I don't think you can really put them together on the same Top 10 list.

As for anime shows (In random order):

NGE
Azumanga Daioh
Cowboy Bebop
School Rumble
Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water
Kare Kano
Golden Boy (guilty pleasure)

That's all I can muster at the moment. I'm not really that into anime anymore, except for the previously mentioned shows and the old movies like Akira and Ninja Scroll. And ofcourse Ghibli's repertoire.

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
BRTurtle said:
my question is who doesn't have cowboy bebop on there list and why?
I didn't care for it. I didn't like that there was no on going story or strong character development. I actually tried to watch it twice and got bored both times before finishing.

OT:

FLCL
Berserk
One Piece
Gantz
Air Gear
Trigun
DragonBall
Great Teacher Onizuka
Eurika seven
Cromartie High

Kapol

Watch the spinning tails...
May 2, 2010
Hmm... had to give this a bit of thought, but here's what I think my choices are in no particular order:

Lupin the 3ed: the castle of cagliostro (and the series)

Case Closed

FLCL

Spirited Away (I tried to keep the list to one, but pretty much anything by that director. Ponyo, My Neighbor Totoro, Castle In The Sky... pretty much everything he's done is great)

Yu Yu Hokisho

Super Milk Chan

Cromartie High School (tied with Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo)

Excel Saga

Full Metal Alchemist

Trigun

GunXSword

Dai-guard

I couldn't just decide on ten, so I threw a couple more in there for fun.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Scarim Coral said:
Yeah I know I am mostly listing Studio Ghibli films but they are so good!
I just saw their new movie Arrietty last weekend.

It was pretty damn good.

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
Kapol said:
Hmm... had to give this a bit of thought, but here's what I think my choices are in no particular order:

Lupin the 3ed: the castle of cagliostro (and the series)

Case Closed

FLCL

Spirited Away (I tried to keep the list to one, but pretty much anything by that director. Ponyo, My Neighbor Totoro, Castle In The Sky... pretty much everything he's done is great)

Yu Yu Hokisho

Super Milk Chan

Cromartie High School

Excel Saga

Full Metal Alchemist

Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo
here we go one of the first really good lists

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
Torrasque said:
BRTurtle said:
This list is in no particular order

Baccano

Cowboy Bebop

Spice and wolf

Macross Series (you can replace this with Robotech if you like, but i prefer the direction that macross has gone)

Berserk

Gunslinger Girl

Welcome to the NHK

School Rumble

The place promised in our earlier days (movie, if you ever get the chance watch it then spend the next few days contemplating it and its meaning)

Gurren Lagann

I hope this list helps you out with suggestions, above all else find the place promised in our earlier days its fantastic.

*I didn't include tri-gun because I have yet to watch it, and I don't know why if your asking.
Heh, 8 of those are on my list of summer anime to watch. I watched 5 episodes of Berserk, but stopped because of school or something, I can't recall. I also watched 3 episodes of NHK with friends, but that was in the middle of the season, so I only barely knew what was going on, lol. And I've wanted to take the time to watch Gurren Lagann properly for a long while now.

I've also heard nothing but good things about FLCL and Baccano, so those are on my list as well :D
You should read Berserk if you do just heads up (the anime really only covers the prelude to the whole story)

Pojo-san

Sep 21, 2010
My list would be:

10. The Cat Returns
9. Hellsing: Ultimate
8. Esclaflowne
7. Howl's Moving Castle
6. Fullmetal Alchemist (both original series and Brotherhood)
5. Princess Mononoke
4. Spirited Away
3. Trigun
2. Elfen Lied
1. Cowboy Bebop

GUVNA6

Jul 12, 2011
Ghost in the Shell
Escaflowne
Birdy: The Mighty
Slayers
Digimon (seasons 1-3, fuck 4)
Sekirei
Ninja Scroll
Darker than Black
Nyan Koi
Desert Punk

I'm glad you took this route instead of the "Suggest me an anime" thread that I see at least once a week :p[/quote]

Digimon seriously? please tell me that was a moment of madness

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
aba1 said:
Torrasque said:
BRTurtle said:
This list is in no particular order

Baccano

Cowboy Bebop

Spice and wolf

Macross Series (you can replace this with Robotech if you like, but i prefer the direction that macross has gone)

Berserk

Gunslinger Girl

Welcome to the NHK

School Rumble

The place promised in our earlier days (movie, if you ever get the chance watch it then spend the next few days contemplating it and its meaning)

Gurren Lagann

I hope this list helps you out with suggestions, above all else find the place promised in our earlier days its fantastic.

*I didn't include tri-gun because I have yet to watch it, and I don't know why if your asking.
Heh, 8 of those are on my list of summer anime to watch. I watched 5 episodes of Berserk, but stopped because of school or something, I can't recall. I also watched 3 episodes of NHK with friends, but that was in the middle of the season, so I only barely knew what was going on, lol. And I've wanted to take the time to watch Gurren Lagann properly for a long while now.

I've also heard nothing but good things about FLCL and Baccano, so those are on my list as well :D
You should read Berserk if you do just heads up (the anime really only covers the prelude to the whole story)
Oh, so it takes the Elfen Lied approach, that is kinda sucky =/

GUVNA6 said:
Sue me for enjoying the anime of my youth, and probably one of the main reasons I watch anime now.

EbonBehelit

Oct 19, 2010
Hmmmm...... had to think a bit on this one, htough I haven't seen a lot of the classics. Once upon a time, Naruto and Bleach would've made this list, but they've both gone down a long dark spiral into the creative cesspit.

1. One Piece

2. Berserk

The rest are in no order:

Gurren Lagann

FMA: Brotherhood

Ghost in the Shell (all of it)

Samurai 7

Death Note (first 2/3rds)

Cowboy Bebop

Howl's Moving Castle

Spirited Away

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
Torrasque said:
aba1 said:
Torrasque said:
Oh, so it takes the Elfen Lied approach, that is kinda sucky =/

GUVNA6 said:
Sue me for enjoying the anime of my youth, and probably one of the main reasons I watch anime now.
Well the thing about Berserk is the anime has a very small budget so it got cut short so they ended up canceling it at the point where the whole story leading up to the first episode was finishing. If you read the manga they have alot more details and the art is glorious the man is the most brilliant inker I have ever seen also the story doesn't get cut off infact it is still going to this day.

As for digimon I grew up on that show and it is a awesome kids anime one of the best out there that and medabots I would say

deckpunk

Apr 5, 2011
dragonball z
bleach
naruto
one piece
death note
cowboy bebop
samurai champloo
full metal alchemist brotherhood (didn't like the original, deviated too much from the manga)
Black Lagoon
Gintama (greatest anime ever and Shiroyasha would kick every other anime heroes arse any day of the week.)

kuroshimo

Mar 31, 2011
In no order:

Full Metal Panic*
Higurashi no Naku Koru Ni
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood*
Gundam Wing / Gundam 00 (I refuse to choose one)
Ghost in the Shell:Stand Alone Complex
Rurouni Kenshin*
Shakugan no Shana*
Myself;Yourself
H20: Footprints in the Sand
Aria

*moderately to infinitely better in manga / novel form

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
aba1 said:
As for digimon I grew up on that show and it is a awesome kids anime one of the best out there that and medabots I would say
Man, I fucking LOVED Medabots! That show was the last of my childhood anime's, and I completely forgot about it ;_;
Fuck... I have another box set to get now, lolol.
I played the online game to death, got the board game, watched every new episode the minute it came out, zomg... That show was so fucking good.

BanicRhys

May 31, 2011
My favourite in no particular order.

Toradora
Kodomo no Jikan
Midori no Hibi
Hayate no Gotoku
Dragon Ball Z
Bleach
Fullmetal Alchemist
Code Geass
Death Note
(oh lawd, I can't think of any other animes)
Ai Kora