Top ten best games ever made?

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
in no order (it changes daily) and I mention series as one (don't ask me to pick between KotOR I or II, same goes for saints row and assassin's creed etc, etc)

KotOR I & II
Assassin's Creed Series
Saint's Row Series
Mass Effect series
Rogue Squadron II
Uncharted series
infamous series
jet set radio
gta SA
boulder dash

Sneezeguard

Oct 13, 2010
1) KotoR 2 the Sith Lords (my god the story and characters were amazing, shame it wasn't finshed but regardless it is still my favourite game.

and now in no order what so ever my 9 other favorite games.

Star Wars Battlefront/2 (Where is my 3rd one? this game is insanely awesome)
Prince of Persia series (mainly Warrior Within)
Burnout Revenge
Age of Mythology
Farcry Instincts
Dreamfall the Longest Journey
Dead Rising
Oblivion
Fable the Lost Chapters

Huh a lot of them are from last generation, I guess this generation hasn't as impressed me as much as the last one.

chris_ninety1

Feb 23, 2011
I'll try and keep it varied and go for one per series, to save me bogging down the list with the same three or four over again. In, let's say, alphabetical order...

Alan Wake
Arkham Asylum
Championship/Football Manager (one of the iteration, don't care which)
Gears of War II
Grand Theft Auto IV
Monkey Island II
L.A. Noire
Read Dead Redemption
R-Type
Sensible Soccer

Sajuuk-khar

Oct 31, 2009
There's many more games I'd want to list, but having to pick my personal favourite ten, these are it:

10. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
Doubted most about this one, but it's deserving I think. Definitely the best of the series. The whole 'gangsta' thing wasn't for me, but the rest was just plain fun.
9. Star Wars: Knights of the old Republic
Does this still need an explanation? Good characters and story. It's better than the movies. It should be noted that KOTOR2 had even more potential, but unfortunately was released unfinished and flawed.
8. Age of Empires II
Favourite LAN-game. I like the longer battles compared to other RTS games. Game is also balanced well.
7. Jazz Jackrabbit 2
What more could one want from a platformer than being a shooting 2D Sonic with pretty levels, easy-to-use level creator, nice sound, co-op and 32-man online multiplayer battles? Definitely CliffyB's best game (GoW? Unreal? Nah).
6. Mass Effect
Why this and not ME2? It has a better story and feels a bit more like an RPG. (I still like ME2 though.)
5. Final Fantasy VI
Probably the best story in a videogame, taking quite a few unexpected turns. Excellent characterisation that even with it's large cast has only a few characters that seem poinless.
4. Heroes of Might and Magic III
I like turn-based strategy and this is one of the best. Conquer the world, level your hero, command armies. Gamebalance is a bit bad at points.
3. Jagged Alliance 2
Did I say I like turn-based strategy? This game has really good and fun tactical battles. Use your mercenaries to free a country. Note: this game should be played with v1.13 mod as it improves everything.
2. Super Smash Brothers Melee
It's just always fun. Even to this day me and my friends bust out the GCN every once in a while and enjoy ourselves. Enjoyable gameplay and characters and nice set of levels.
1. Chrono Trigger
Nice little story, great settings, awesome soundtrack, very fluid gameplay (even more so for an old jRPG), nice characters, nice humour at times. It might not be the best in everything (I guess it can't really be called very deep), but this game just does nothing wrong anywhere.

Yeah there's a bias towards RPGs (and RPG elements in the turn based strategy games) followed by strategy, the two genres I enjoy most.

luckybreak

Jul 21, 2011
In no particular order Final Fantasy 7, Portal, Persona 4, either Ocarina of Time or Twilight Princess cant decide which, the disgaea series, ico, shadow of colossus, Phoenix Wright, Chrono trigger/cross im counting that as one choice, and I know everybody hates this game but I really enjoyed Final Fantasy 8.

Meredith999

Jul 24, 2011
No particular order:

Discworld Noir

Thief 2

Mass Effect(series)

Total War(series)

Worms Armageddon

Deus Ex

Mount & Blade

Portal

Stronghold 2

Dawn of War(series)

nYuknYuknYuk

Jul 12, 2009
HeatproofShAdOw said:
Can't really make a list, but did anyone else play Comix Zone? That game was freaking amazing.
Yep, I loved that game. Too bad it was so short. I got the Sega Genesis Collection mainly to play that game again. Still fun. As far as my list, here goes:

10. Halo 2

Halo 2 was the game that really started the multiplayer console FPS genre. And people liked it for a reason, it was lots of fun to blast your friends with power weapons or beat the down. The single was also good, but the multiplayer is what I really enjoyed and where it really shined.

9. The Mortal Kombat Series

The reason I say the series rather than a game is that very little has changed other than graphics updates with installments in the series (at least for casual players like me). It's a great party game and tons of fun to play against friends. Nothing better than to perform a fatality while your friends holds their head in shame.

8.Combat Flight Simulator 2

The first game on this list that isn't multiplayer based, CFS2 was state of the art at the time and really did its job well. When I was playing the game and flying over the Pacific, gunning down enemy Zeros, I was fucking flying over the Pacific and gunning down enemy Zeroes. Lots of customizable battles also made it very replayable.

7. Batman: Arkham Asylum and Spiderman 2

I decided to lump these two together because they are the best games of the superhero genre, yet are very different. Batman is mostly linear and very dark and story driven, while Spiderman 2 is more open, freeflowing and focused on everything you can do. Both were great, and both made you feel like the superheroes you were playing as. Though I'm sure Spiderman would not approve of the excessive Gargoyle shit, Batman.

6. The God of War Series

The God of War series always knew how to do epic scale like no other game. Taking from all the most badass elements known to man, they make the most badass game known to man. The combat is great and skill based, puzzles are fun and while the story gets a little convoluted, the fact that it tackles Gods and Titans and Hell and in one game makes you interested, at least.

5. Super Mario Bros 3

I could have just but all of the Super Mario games in this spot, but I figured I'd choose my favorite. A great, simple yet complicated 2D platformer that kept you playing until "you beat the thing, damnit!". Special indeed seeing how it manages to hold up as a good game 20 years later.

4. Fallout 3

I don't know how long I spent playing Fallout 3. I don't think I want to know. This game had great atmosphere. The RPG elements and shooter elements were okay, but the setting really carried this game. I know I wasn't the only one who said "Whoa" the first time I exited the Vault. Oh, and great open world. Most of my time spend in that game was time spent roaming the Wastes listening to the radio, which also had great music. Bonus points for great replayability and deep backstories. Seriously, you could spend an hour or more just talking to people in the first town.

3. Advance Wars 2

I'm surprised more people haven't played this game, or include it in their top ten, because it was the best game on the Gameboy Advance. A strategy game where you controlled your armies against the evil forces of Black Hole, it did everything right. It had great graphics, art style, music, strategy, and replayability. Different Commanding Officers had different strengths and weaknesses that meant you had to change up your strategy for every level. Also, great level design meant it stayed fresh and interesting each each time you played.

2. Mass Effect 2

The only thing to complain about in this game is Miranda. Everything else is amazing. Great character design, varied combat, a true sense of epicness and scale, and comedy. This game really touches all the bases with what it does, it does a little bit of everything and it does it all right. The immersive game world is also a plus, and if all else fails, I never get tired of just exploring the galaxy.

1. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

This game is it. I really don't know what to say about it, it's just amazing. Everything about this game is amazing. Seriously, do I need to say anything? If you haven't played it, do it now, and if you have, you know already know exactly what I am talking about.

tl;dr

10.Halo 2
9. The Mortal Kombat series
8. Combat Flight Simulator 2
7. Arkham Asylum/Spiderman 2
6. The God of War series
5. Super Mario Bros 3
4. Fallout 3
3. Advance Wars 2
2. Mass Effect 2
1. Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic

Belvadier

May 17, 2009
ouch, this is hard. Numbers are for keeping me on track only and don't reflect my true feelings. Any of these 10 could be number 1 on any given day:

1) Starcraft 2
2) Alan Wake
3) Knights of the Old Republic
4) Ragnarok Online
5) ICO (yes, it IS better than Shadow of the Colossus)
6) Chrono Trigger & Chrono Cross (you really expect me to pick one?)
7) Diablo 2
8) The Witcher 2
9) Tetris Attack
10) Dragon Age Origins/Mass Effect 1/Jade Empire 3-way bioware tie since they all deserve it

I feel bad I didn't include anything for n64 or gamecube so...best n64 game is either Mario 64 or Turok 2 and the best gamecube game is either Star Wars Rogue Squadron 2 or Star Fox Adventures.

Also, if Tetris Attack is sick one day and can't show up for the top-ten list, then A Link to the Past fills in for him.

Kappassah

Jun 29, 2011
10. Halo: Combat Evolved

9. Fallout: New Vegas

8. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare

7. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

6. Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory

5. Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind

4. Mass Effect

3. Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

2. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

1: Mass Effect 2 - "Heavy risk...but the priiiize."

Warlord211

May 8, 2011
Gxas said:
1) Pokémon White
2) Pokémon Black
3) Pokémon Platinum
4) Pokémon Pearl
5) Pokémon Emerald
6) Pokémon Sapphire
7) Pokémon Crystal
8) Pokémon Silver
9) Pokémon Yellow
10) Pokémon Red

Yeah. Think that's about right.
I laughed really hard at that.

1. KoTOR
2. Oblivion
3. DA:O
3. Battlefront 2
4. Republic Commando
5. Fallout 3
6. Half Life 2
7. Mass Effect 2
8. Pokemon Gold/Silver
9. LoZ: Majora's Mask
10. Pokemon Black/White

What can I say? I love RPGs, Star Wars and Pokemon.

Sancrkf

Dec 6, 2010
1) The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
2) Okami
3) Final Fantasy X
4) Shadow of the Colossus
5) The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
6) Final Fantasy X-2
7) Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
8) Megaman X
9) Onimusha 3: Demon Siege
10) Sonic 2

Jerubbaal

Jul 22, 2011
I can't really put my list in order, but here goes. And these aren't just my personal favorites, they're ones I think are deserving of near-universal acclaim:

Deus Ex (PC)
Mother 3/Earthbound 2 (GBA)
Warcraft II (PC)
Final Fantasy III/VI (SNES)
The Legends of Zelda: Majora's Mask (N64)
Dragon Warrior III (NES)

Those are the only ones I can think of right now.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Why are all these people counting down in their lists? Doesn't anybody know accepted etiquette on preference lists? You start with one, being the best and count up. Honestly...

For myself I would probably say:

1. UT2K4
2. TF2
3. DOW: Dark Crusade
4. Omega Boost
5. Super Meat Boy
6. Kula World
7. Doom
8. Diablo
9. Morrowind

Not entirely sure though. It's a hard list.

ydkwidrmw

Aug 6, 2009
1. Chrono Trigger
2. Final Fantasy VII
3. Tekken Tag Tournament
4. Team Fortress 2
5. Portal
6. Defense of the Ancients
7. Civilization II / IV
8. Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
9. Age of Empires II
10. Syndicate

soulasylum85

Dec 26, 2008
10 gears of war 2
9 uncharted 2
8 castlevania symphony of the night
7 god of war 3
6 metal gear solid 4
5 the elder scrolls IV oblivion
4 the lengend of zelda a link to the past
3 super mario rpg legend of the seven stars
2 fallout 3
1 final fantasy tactics

auwdioslave

Apr 16, 2010
Amaror said:
auwdioslave said:
6. Elder scrolls IV - Skyrim
This Game isn't even there yet.
You simply cannot KNOW that it's gonna be a good game.
(Btw. I most certainly think Skyrim is going to be a great game, but i don't KNOW)
//Insert Facepalm//
I was reading articles about Skyrim all day, apparently for too long. I meant Elder Scrolls iV - Oblivion. Skyrim is part V btw..

//Insert second Facepalm

Omnific One

Apr 3, 2010
1: Oblivion
2: Mass Effect 2
3: Witcher 2
4: Fallout 3
5: Mass Effect 1
6: Red Dead Redemption
7: Mirror's Edge
8: Assassin's Creed 2
9: Enslaved
10: Bioshock

I'm a 7th gen gamer :/ Though for last gens, I'd add Deus Ex, KoToR, and maybe Jade Empire.

HazelrahFiver

Oct 12, 2009
Omnific One said:
1: Oblivion
2: Mass Effect 2
3: Witcher 2
4: Fallout 3
5: Mass Effect 1
6: Red Dead Redemption
7: Mirror's Edge
8: Assassin's Creed 2
9: Enslaved
10: Bioshock

I'm a 7th gen gamer :/ Though for last gens, I'd add Deus Ex, KoToR, and maybe Jade Empire.
I love your list. Wish I enjoyed PC gaming so that I could give Witcher 1 and 2 a try. Also, I found that Enslaved did not live up to the standards that Heavenly Sword had built, but I didn't try it for that long.

thenamelessloser

Jan 15, 2010
1. Planescape: Torment
2. Deus Ex
3. Fallout 2
4. Deus Ex Invisible War
5. Jade Empire
6. Fallout
7. Alpha Protocol
8 Star Wars KOTOR II
9. Vampire Bloodlines
10. Arcanum

honorable mentions: Dragon Age, Nier, Chrono Trigger, Bioshock, Batman Akham Asylum, Gabriel Knight

Subjective of the moment. Vampire Bloodlines may rise up much more or get off the list entirely since I'm still in the middle of it.

Deus Ex 3 is the one game coming out soon that stands a good shot of being in my personal top ten. (or maybe Batman Arkham City as a future honorable mention.)

Note, I do NOT think these are the best games in a more objective sense but just ones I personally enjoy much more. (Jade Empire probably isn't' as good as Dragon Age or Star Wars KOTOR for instance I think in an objective sense but I just enjoy the mythological Asian setting in a western RPG.)