Top Ten Video Games

General Winter

Sep 13, 2013
I think there probably has been a thread made about this before, but none recently.
So, what are you top ten favorite video games of all time? I'm not sure I've played enough to give you a good, objective list, so I'm not really going to try. However, these would be my favorite games of all time, I think. They are not necessarily the best.

1. Command And Conquer: Red Alert 2
2. Europa Universalis III
3. Legend Of Zelda: Ocarina Of Time
4. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
5. Team Fortress II
6. Guitar Hero III
7. Command And Conquer: Tiberian Sun
8. SimCity 4
9. Donkey Kong 64
10. Crusader Kings II

Now, I found a list online that combines several top tens, and it is probably the better choice if you are going for objectivity.

1. Legend Of Zelda: Ocarina Of Time
2. Super Mario 64
3. Tetris
4. Final Fantast VII
5. Legend Of Zelda: A Link To The Past
6. Goldeneye 007
7. Super Mario Bros.
8. Half Life 2
9. DOOM
10. Super Mario World

So, what are your top ten favorite video games?

Liquidprid3

Jan 24, 2014
This is probably going to be nostalgia based, and these are only going to be games I've completed (so no Dark Souls yet, although I'm almost done, and I really like it)

1. Super Mario World
2. Paper Mario: TTYD
3. Pokémon Sapphire
4. Monster Huntrer Tri/Ultimate (both versions)
5. Earthbound
6. Super Meat Boy
7. Sonic 2
8. Half Life 2
9. Shining Force
10. Bioshock/Bioshock Infinite (I love them both equally)

These were all a combination of enjoyment, memories, satisfaction and importance to me. I have 100 more games I'd like to list, like Ocarina of Time, Portal, and lots of games that I haven't thought about t the moment. But yeah, I love these games, but you only asked for 10, so I can't name more.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
Gah. It's hard to make a list of only ten games. Especially since my opinions and tastes are constantly changing.

Well, I'll do my best.

In no particular order, (besides the first one)

1. Shadow of the Colossus. (This game will always be either in my top spot or somewhere around there)
2. Final Fantasy IX
3. Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
4. ICO
5. Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee
6. Persona 4 Golden
7. Spyro the Dragon (First game I've ever beaten, so this game holds a special place in my heart.)
8. Disgaea series
9. Valkyria Chronicles
10.Banjo Kazooie

Honorable mentions:

Bayonetta.

Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2.

Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne. Haven't beaten this yet, but so far, this is more than likely going to take a spot in the top ten just because of how awesome it is. Between all the different demons you can make, the amount of customization there is to your team set up, the philosophical nature of it's story and that there's multiple endings, it's a damned good game, and I definitely intend to replay it someday. But first I have to beat it! :p

Monster Hunter 3: Ultimate.

Left 4 Dead series

Team Fortress 2

EDIT: Forgot to mention Fallout 1,2, and New Vegas.

Chester Rabbit

Dec 7, 2011
1. Spyro The Dragon/Mass Effect - Yeah I pulled that move but honestly I just can't place one bellow the other anymore I love them both equally so i just consider them both sharing the spot for my number one favourite game.

2. Sonic Generations
3. Blood Dragon
4. Bioshock Infinite
5. Sonic Adventure 2
6. Resident Evil 3: Nemesis
7. Return To Castle Wolfenstein
(this is where things get iffy)
8. Legacy of Kain 2:Soul Reaver
9. Syphon Filter
10. Tenchu Stealth Assassins

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
SecretNegative said:
General Winter said:
2. Super Mario 64
3. Tetris
4. Final Fantast VII
6. Goldeneye 007
7. Super Mario Bros.
8. Half Life 2
9. DOOM
10. Super Mario World
Pff, I'd call this one "Blind Nostalgia: The list".
Yeah. Fun fact, out of that entire list, I only actually like one of the games in question. And even that is partly based on nostalgia and I don't think it's the best game in its franchise.

OT: That having been said, I tend to rate games simply on how much I enjoyed them as a whole, regardless of the individual components which made them all up. I don't think my list is really any different than it was the last time one of these threads popped up, since it never really changes that much. I won't say anything beyond #1 is in a solid position of "I like this more than the games below it", though.

1. Tie between Final Fantasy IX and Persona 4 Golden - I've resolved to not really separate the two because Final Fantasy IX is essentially my favorite game of all time, but when I played Persona 4 Golden is busted its way up to rival as my favorite JRPG of all time, so... I just give them both kudos now.

2. The Mass Effect franchise - Let it never be said that my list isn't completely full of cheese, because I just don't really like picking apart full franchises when I can help it, if their narratives are moderately connected between games. If the series as a whole feels like it's connected by a single over-arching plot, then I generally like to keep it all together, provided I like all of the games of course.

3. Sonic Generations - Honestly, I flip-flop back and forth on whether I like it more than Sonic 3 & Knuckles or not, but Generations was probably the most overall fun I've had with a Sonic game since 3 & Knuckles, and I've beaten it from the beginning again roughly three times now, all while replaying the stages for the red rings and doing the extra challenges for the unlockables every time.

4. Kingdom Hearts franchise - Similar rationale as with Mass Effect; I like all of the games for different reasons. I has amazing level design, II has a great combat system, Re:Chain of Memories let me play as Riku, Birth By Sleep has a pretty touching story and a fun spin on II's combat, Dream Drop Distance has a great movement system which allowed for interesting level designs again. The original DS ones are a bit "eh" though.

5. Metal Gear Solid franchise - 3 is the one I'd most likely recommend to other people, but the entire saga is something I'm very glad I got into, even if it was three years after 4 had already come out. Pure insanity, and I love it for that.

6. Okami - It's Okami. What more do you expect me to say?

7. Banjo-Tooie - I still don't rightfully recall how I ever managed to work out some of the more convoluted worlds in that when I was younger, since I can barely do it now, but the Banjo series has always been my go-to 3D platformer series and I think they're games which hold up extraordinarily well to this day. I prefer Tooie because it has better controls and a much more impressive game world, obtuse level designs notwithstanding.

8. Bioshock franchise - This is actually a relatively new arrival to my list, but the release of Infinite prompted me to reevaluate a few things and switch around some positions. I love the first game... up until you reach Andrew Ryan. After that, it's only worth playing the final section once and then you might as well quit after Ryan on any subsequent playthroughs you do. 2 was fortunately far more fun all the way through for me, and I liked the more personal nature of the story and thought that in general the characters were more interesting, even if they were still all dwarfed by Andrew Ryan from the first game. And Infinite... well, I'll just say that with the exception of DmC, it's the only game in the past few years I immediately replayed upon beating it the first time.

9. Deus Ex: Human Revolution - It's another title which I've reshuffled some things around to accommodate in the recent past, but even despite how much I enjoyed Human Revolution upon its initial release, this is a game I've only grown more fond of as time passes. Absolutely fantastic title.

10. This spot is always very contested... I don't know, honestly. Maybe I'll give it to the Halo franchise this time around. It crops up often enough.

General Winter

Sep 13, 2013
SecretNegative said:
General Winter said:
2. Super Mario 64
3. Tetris
4. Final Fantast VII
6. Goldeneye 007
7. Super Mario Bros.
8. Half Life 2
9. DOOM
10. Super Mario World

That list is seriously just plain silly. Yes I know opinions are subjective, but I'm sorry, fucking tetris? There are fucking flash games on newgrounds that are better than tetris. Urgh. I've yet to actually meet a human being who has a top ten anywhere near that, ugh.

Myself I don't have a top ten, because games are absurdly different, and almost impossible to put one over another. Super meat boy has excellent, fun and creative gameplay, while the Witcher 2 has a very mature and engaging narrative, while Skyrim has an extremely detailed and engrosing world etc.

Games, unlike movies and books, can actually have quality besides the narrative, which makes it just too diificult to actually rank.
Wasn't my list. From what I could gather, this is an amalgamation of many other lists made by other people. I guess people just like old games, I guess.

Here is the link, for people who want to look at what other people thought.
http://www.filibustercartoons.com/games.htm

V4Viewtiful

Feb 12, 2014
My Top Ten (In no Order because that's too hard :p)

1. TLoZ: Majora's Mask
2. Final Fantasy VI (technically the GBA version because it's the best)
3. Street Fighter Alpha 3
4. Xenoblade Chronicles
5 Guilty Gear X2
6. Batman: Arkham City
7. Knights in the Knightmare
8. Sonic CD/Adventure 2
9. The World Ends With You (still waiting on that sequel, you gits!)
10. Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time

The above list is subject to change.

Honorable mentions
No More Heroes series
Metroid Fusion
Sonic Advance
Burnout 3: Takedown
Viewtiful Joe
Transformers: Fall of Cybertron
Policenauts (seriously guys, play this game)

white_wolf

Aug 23, 2013
My top fav 10 in no particular order

Final Fantasy 7
Beyond 2 Souls
Medal of Honor Underground
Mass Effect as fshep
Tomb Raider
Clock Tower
Fatal Frame
Resident Evil 2 as Claire
Silent Hill
Last of Us

EDIT: Awe screw it lets go for 20!

Command and Conquer
Flash Back the original
Fatal Frame 2
Galerians
Dues Ex HR
Resident Evil as Jill
Dragon Age as fem-warden
Metal Gear Solid
Red Dead Redemption
Final Fantasy 10 because of Yuna she's awesome!

Ratty

Jan 21, 2014
SecretNegative said:
General Winter said:
2. Super Mario 64
3. Tetris
4. Final Fantast VII
6. Goldeneye 007
7. Super Mario Bros.
8. Half Life 2
9. DOOM
10. Super Mario World

That list is seriously just plain silly. Yes I know opinions are subjective, but I'm sorry, fucking tetris? There are fucking flash games on newgrounds that are better than tetris. Urgh. I've yet to actually meet a human being who has a top ten anywhere near that, ugh.

Myself I don't have a top ten, because games are absurdly different, and almost impossible to put one over another. Super meat boy has excellent, fun and creative gameplay, while the Witcher 2 has a very mature and engaging narrative, while Skyrim has an extremely detailed and engrosing world etc.

Games, unlike movies and books, can actually have quality besides the narrative, which makes it just too diificult to actually rank.
The beauty of Tetris is its simplicity, it's easy for anyone to pick up but at higher levels can be hard to master. Barring a game that is broken, I don't think you can objectively say one block puzzle game is "better" than another. That's like saying one playing card game is objectively better than another. One my be more complex, or random, or elegant than others. But it comes down to taste for which is "better".

Besides that, nostalgia is a perfectly valid reason to put a piece of media in one's personal best-of list. Someone could say "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 3 is my favorite movie because I loved it as a kid and it reminds me of a happy time in my life." and you can't really argue with that. It only becomes a "problem" when someone tries to make claims like "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 3 is the best of the series." or "It's one of the best movies ever made." because those statements are pretty objectively false.

Of course it is more complex with games than for books/movies/tv shows etc. Because like I said gameplay mechanics are largely down to taste. I'm a huge Castlevania fan and I always have to groan when people complain about the jumping mechanics in the classic games as a "flaw" when it was a conscious design choice, and one I happen to love.

Maximum Bert

Feb 3, 2013
Im not going to make a top ten anymore there are only 3 games that have stood out as head and shoulders above the rest for me and they are :-
1. FFVII - not perfect but in my opinion the best game ever made still replay it to this day.
2. Valkyria Chronicles - Just a beautiful game I was very surprised.
3. Xenoblade Chronicles - This along with Mario Galaxy (1 only) and The Last Story made buying a Wii worth it..eventually.

There are loads of others that I think are amazing like Okami, SOTC, Super Mario Bros 1 and 3, FFVI and X, Persona 4, Soul Calibur, SF2 the list goes on but none have impressed me as much as the above 3.

Tom_green_day

Jan 5, 2013
1. Fallout 3
2. Mass Effect 3
3. TES: Skyrim
4. Borderlands 2
5. Call of Duty: Black Ops
7. The Last of Us
8. Monster Hunter Freedom Unite
9. Uncharted: Drake's Deception
10. The Saboteur

I agree that the second list in the OP is taken from too small a wide an audience to fully count as 'the ultimate top 10 games ever'. It's taken from the kind of people who sit around on the internet talking about how much they love old games and, amongst other things, listing their favourite games on websites.
s69-5 said:
Wow, people are really down on that list. It's actually a fairly accurate list, if you were to complile the thoughts of gaming in general. Most of those games should appear there, though I'd replace SMW with SMB3 and lower SM64.
'Gaming in general' if by general you mean people on the internet who talk about games, and no-one else.

JayRPG

Oct 25, 2012
1. Tales of Symphonia
2. Final Fantasy IX
3. Tales of Xillia
4. Xenoblade Chronicles
5. Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door
6. Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean
7. Final Fantasy VII
8. Tales of the Abyss
9. Breath of Fire III
10.The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker

Honorable mentions to (in no particular order):
Bravely Default
Rune Factory 4
Shin Megami Tensei IV
Lord of the Rings: The Third Age
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
Golden Sun
Final Fantasy Theatrhythm
Paper Mario (N64)

Alfador_VII

Nov 2, 2009
Well this is highly subjective, and I'm not judging anyone on choices, unless they choose Ride to Hell, but my 10 in no particular order are

Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy VIII
Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Bioshock
Bioshock Infinite
Chrono Trigger
Terranigma
Okami
ICO
The Secret of Monkey Island (although it seems unfair to single out that one, as most of the others are great too)

This last one is bound to be controversial, but I've put many more hours into it than any other game on the list so...

World of Warcraft

There's a ton of other games I really like, and I bet if you ask me to compile this list again next week, I'd come up with a different selection, especially as I feel like I'm forgetting something.

ThatDarnCoyote

Dec 3, 2011
Tom_green_day said:
1. Fallout 3
2. Mass Effect 3
3. TES: Skyrim
4. Borderlands 2
5. Call of Duty: Black Ops
7. The Last of Us
8. Monster Hunter Freedom Unite
9. Uncharted: Drake's Deception
10. The Saboteur
Good list, some gutsy picks on there. :)

Some of mine are because the story particularly impressed or resonated with me, and some are just because I played them over and over and loved them and shared them with friends. And sometimes both. In loose order:

1. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
2. Wasteland
3. Portal
4. Batman: Arkham City
5. Bioshock Infinite
6. World of Warcraft
7. Doom
8. Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
9. Silent Hill 2
10. Max Payne 3

With some Honorable Mentions: Resident Evil 2, Planetside, City of Heroes, Skyrim, Police Quest, Bard's Tale 2, Syndicate, Missile Command.

generals3

Mar 25, 2009
For me it would be something like:

1.Metal Gear Solid (4>3>1>2) (ain't gonna waste four spots :p)
2.C&C Tiberian Sun/Firestorm
3.Empires Dawn Of The Modern World
4.C&C Red Alert 2
5.Civilization IV
6.Company Of Heroes (Opposing Fronts)
7.Battlefield 1942
8.Rise Of Nations (Thrones And Patriots)
9.EVE Online
10.Caesar III

And an honorable mention for Cossacks (The Art Of War) & Civilization Call to power

Brings me back...

Pierre Poutine

Sep 20, 2013
This is sort of my Top 10. I'm implementing a franchise rule to keep it more varied. In any case, for the most part the other games in the series I view as just as good, but I slightly prefer the one on the list:

10. Team Fortress 2
I spent so much time with this game, and I regret none of it. It's an absurdly fun, well balanced shooter that actually has a personality that makes it stand out from the crowd. It also manages to balance the line between casual and hardcore quite well by being accessible to newcomers, but having enough depth to reward long-term players. The constant additions and updates have only made a great product stellar. And now it's free, so there's really no excuse to not play it save for not having the time.

9. Batman: Arkham City
The amazing thing about this game is that if you strip away all Batman related skins, it's just a well designed game with great combat and fantastic stealth. This is basically what I wanted the Assassin's Creed games to feel like. Arkham City one ups its predecessor by offering more freedom to roam around and by having a better story overall. I really respect that they actually took the chance they did in the final few minutes. Few game series would dare do that. It's just the best adaptation of another character from another medium into game form.

8. Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy Kong's Quest
All of the Donkey Kong Country games are stellar platformers, but my personal pick is the second one. It carried over the same super tight controls, and the great level design and basically added to it. Dixie Kong was a great playable character. The secrets were more fleshed out. The soundtrack is probably the best in the series. It has a wonderful pirate motif. It's all platforming bliss.

7. Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
My favourite RPG. Granted, it's not my go-to genre, but it's probably because this iteration does away with what I don't like about them. The turn-based combat has more agency via blocking/countering attacks, and the seemingly simple numbers of damage mean that attacks are more predictable meaning strategy is more important. It's a game that looks simple but has a crazy ton of depth under the surface. Granted, nearly all Mario RPGs are guilty of this. What makes me give the nod to this though is that the story actually was it's own thing. It's rare to see a story in a Mario game that isn't bound by the series' tropes, but they go all out here and do whatever they want and the result is all the better for it. Despite being a funny game, it actually manages to be serious when it needs to.

6. Banjo-Tooie
I loved the Rare platformers of yore, and to me Banjo-Tooie was the pinnacle of the 3D platformer. I love the 3D Mario games and all, but those tend to be for the most part pretty linear. I prefer the formula that Rare refined by just dropping you in a great big world, and having you explore it, figure out problems and collect various goodies. While Banjo-Kazooie has more charm then its sequel, I put Tooie here because I just think it has such ingeniously clever level design. It's one of those rare sequels that builds on the other in terms of scope and difficulty.

5. Bioshock Infinte
I think the first Bioshock approaches greatness, but has a few flaws that hold it back. The combat never felt right, and the story loses a lot after it keeps going after the famous Andrew Ryan scene. Infinite fixes most every issue I had with the original. The story is much better paced for one thing, and I was constantly driven to find out what would happen next. The gameplay was great with the weapons sounding right and the aim being precise and the vigors dishing out appropriate fireworks. I really like the freedom they give you with open spaces on how to approach a combat situation. Apart from that, I've never connected more to two game characters than I have with Booker and Elizabeth. While people have complained about its politics, the game was never about that. It was about Booker and Elizabeth and the choices they've made, and how one particular choice could affect so much. It has the most ambitious, and best ending I've seen in a long while in any medium.

4. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

Wind Waker was my introduction to the Zelda series too, and it's still one of my favourites. But, I've got to give the nod to Twilight Princess. Part of it was due to hype. This was a game I was looking forward to for a long time. Mainly because this was the one that made me feel like I was on a grand epic journey. This was done before gritty reboots were too common, but for the time, it felt like a serious upgrade in terms of drama and mood. It just hammered the sense of stakes for me when dealing with Hyrule's inhabitants. It also just has possibly the best dungeon design in series history. Some dismiss Twilight Princess as fan service, but I argue that if all fan service was this good, no one would think that'd be an insult.

3. Portal 2

I love Valve games, and the fact that this beats out Half-Life 2, Team Fortress 2, Left 4 Dead 2; all of which I love, just speaks volumes about how damn fine a game Portal 2 is. I liked the original Portal a lot, but I do think it was too short, and that there was more room to expand on this great game mechanic. Portal 2 does that and then some by throwing in new physics devices, a more engaging story [I was physically shaken after the first third when a certain character surprises you], and it even throws in a great co-op mode too. On top of all that amazingness, it released a robust puzzle editor, so there's an endless stream of new content to go through. Portal 2 is as close to a perfect game I think I've ever played.

2. Metroid Prime 3: Corruption

I still go back and forth on whether I like this, or the original Prime more. Ultimately, I'm going with this one for a few reasons. I dug the original Prime, but it wasn't until I played Prime 2 that, when exploring the Sanctuary Fortress that it all clicked. I got the essence of Metroid, and I just let it wash over me, and it was glorious. Prime 2 is also almost as good, but regrettably features a few key design flaws. Prime 3 meanwhile takes everything that came before it and makes it sing. The level design is wonderful and they manage to solve backtracking issues by using the gunship. The worlds are all imaginative and detailed and feel like real places. The controls are the best use of the Wii remote's unique features. Pointing to aim and shoot is far better than dual joystick, an it really immersed me along with the other uses. The hyper mode adds an intriguing mechanic, and the story really does increase the stakes. It's a perfect end to the best trilogy in video games.

1. Super Mario World
This was the first game I ever played, and it's still my favourite. It's the culmination of all the Mario platformers and refining it to their best. It's music is perfect, it's visuals are perfect, it's controls are perfect, it's sense of freedom in a 2D platformer is unparalleled, and it's a deep, rich game that hasn't aged a bit. Super Mario World is a game I would want my future kids to play.

Uhura

This ain't no hula!
Aug 30, 2012
Hmm, let's see.

1. Grim Fandango
Probably my favorite game ever. I love the noirish atmosphere, the voice acting, the gags... I love pretty much everything about this game!

2. Mass Effect 2
I was obsessed with the Mass Effect franchise a few years back and the second game in the series is by far my favorite. I even enjoyed scanning the planets!

3. Alan Wake
The "Stephen King meets Twin Peaks" -atmosphere works like a charm and I got genuinely spooked when I played the game. I was sucked into the story and enjoyed the gameplay mechanics (the stuff with the flashlight) too.

4. Fallout NV
I like Fallout 3 but I definitely enjoyed New Vegas's setting more. I really need to pick this up again soon.

5. Silent Hill 3
One of my favorite horror games. I played the game during daytime and I was still constantly freaked out and had to walk away from the keyboard regularly because I got so spooked.

6. Dragon Age: Origins
When it comes to Bioware, I definitely prefer the ME franchise. I had a rough start with DA:O, because I couldn't get into the story/setting at all. After a 6 month break I picked it up again and got hooked almost immediately. Great game. Alistair is the shit.

7. Indigo Prophecy
A very flawed game but (again) I just loved the atmosphere. Especially the first half of the game is great.

8. TF2
I don't know if TF2 deserves a spot on my list. I've been playing it a bit over a month and I'm definitely hooked. We'll see how long it lasts, but atm I'm loving it. Great design and gameplay.

9. Tomb Raider 1
One of the first games I got on my PS1. I was really into Indiana Jones and archaeology when I was a kid (and I still am) and Tomb Raider combined both of those two awesome things. I remember digging Lara and hating all the bears.

10. Broken Sword 1/2
These two games kinda blend into each other in my mind. Great games, although I still think that the whole "combine the bun and the honey and stand over there and throw the bun" thing was really silly (read: I had to search help to get past that part.. and this was 'pre-easy internets' time!).

Honorable mentions:
Deadly Premonition (this would be on my main list but I haven't finished it yet. It's going to get a very high spot on my list when I do).
Fallout 3
Mass Effect 1
Beyond Good & Evil
Dragon Age 2 (yeah, I liked it)
Borderlands 1

Atmosphere is my thing.