Top Ten Video Games

Tuesday Night Fever

Jun 7, 2011
In no particular order, and subject to change based on mood (though the first three are pretty much permanent fixtures)...

1. Deus Ex (2000)
2. System Shock 2 (1999)
3. Fallout 2 (1998)
4. Max Payne (2001)
5. StarCraft (1998)
6. Telltale's The Walking Dead (2012 - Ongoing)
7. Mass Effect 2 (2010)
8. Resident Evil: REmake (2002)
9. City of Heroes (2004) (RIP)
10. Jagged Alliance 2 (1999)

OneCatch

Jun 19, 2010
I've tried to cover most or all genres, or this list would be full of Total War, TES, and a handful of others!

1. Rome Total War - best of the Total Wars, though Medieval II with Kingdoms is a seriously strong contender
2. TES III Morrowind - uniquely engaging openworld RPG
3. Ocarina of Time - epic nostalgia, Majora's Mask is technically stronger
4. KOTOR - king of squad based RPGs, decent story and solid combat (fuck mass effect)
5. BioShock - epic subversive plot, decent survival horror and RPG elements
6. Company of Heroes - my RTS of choice
7. Stalker or Metro Series (undecided which) - ex-Soviet bloc does nuclear apocalypse with more atmosphere than the West
8. Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader - sold the gamecube to me. Mindblowing graphics and gameplay to 11-year-old me
9.Pharaoh - for simultaneous abstracted mechanics and absurdly complex economic simulations, look no further
10. Spec Ops; The Line - gotta love a hysteria-provoking plot and, well, it's original.

the_great_cessation

Nov 29, 2011
The top three are concrete, the rest is just a rough order:

1. Shadow of the Colossus
2. The Last of Us
3. Beyond Good and Evil
4. L.A. Noire
5. Psychonauts
6. Okami
7. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater II
8. Brutal Legend
9. Mother 3
10. Jet Force Gemini

I might edit this to add descriptions later. Maybe.

Grach

Aug 31, 2012
Super Metroid
Seiken Densetsu 3
Half-life 2
Planetside 2
Rogue Legacy
Batman Arkham City
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow Of Chernobyl
Mass Effect (any of them, they rule)
Bulletstorm
Doom 2

In no particular order.

mrm5561

Apr 27, 2010
humm this is going to be tough
1. metal gear solid 1 2 and 3. honestly i have played them all so much and i still can't decide which i love more
2. batman arkham city
3. spyro year of the dragon
4. pokemon silver
5. skyrim
6. red dead redemption
7. spec ops the line
8. far cry 3
9. x men legends 2
10. injustice gods among us

honorable mentions go to vice city, left 4 dead 2, mortal kombat, and assassins creed brotherhood

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
alright lets see

1- Metal gear Solid 3: Subsistence
2- Shadow of the Colossus
3- Half-Life 2
4- Persona 4
5- Company of Heroes
6- XCOM: Enemy Unknown
7- Team Fortress 2
8- Age of Empires 2
9- FTL: Faster Than Light
10- Grim Fandango

kind of filled the gap with some the last games but the first 7 spots im completely sure, either way i think this list is accurate enough

SecretNegative said:
General Winter said:
1. Legend Of Zelda: Ocarina Of Time
2. Super Mario 64
3. Tetris
4. Final Fantast VII
5. Legend Of Zelda: A Link To The Past
6. Goldeneye 007
7. Super Mario Bros.
8. Half Life 2
9. DOOM
10. Super Mario World
Pff, I'd call this one "Blind Nostalgia: The list".

That list is seriously just plain silly. Yes I know opinions are subjective, but I'm sorry, fucking tetris? There are fucking flash games on newgrounds that are better than tetris. Urgh. I've yet to actually meet a human being who has a top ten anywhere near that, ugh.

Myself I don't have a top ten, because games are absurdly different, and almost impossible to put one over another. Super meat boy has excellent, fun and creative gameplay, while the Witcher 2 has a very mature and engaging narrative, while Skyrim has an extremely detailed and engrosing world etc.

Games, unlike movies and books, can actually have quality besides the narrative, which makes it just too diificult to actually rank.
>Half-Life 2
>blind nostalgia

you did not go there son, you did not

SilverLion

May 11, 2013
I don't think I'd be able to do anything higher than a Top 5, because past five the games stop being as obviously superior, and it becomes a little too hard to make that decision without a fair amount of "But's" and "tied with". Nevertheless here is MY Top 5:
1: Red Dead Redemption
2: Sonic Generations
3: Portal 2
4: DOOM II: Hell on Earth
5: Batman: Arkham City

dyre

Mar 30, 2011
I don't have a top 10 list; I enjoy different games a different times, and often I like one game more than another even though I feel the latter is objectively better.

Once in awhile though, I play a game and, upon completing it, I sit back and think to myself "wow, I'm glad I became a gamer, so that I was able to experience something like this in my life. That was magnificent." So here's a list of those games instead:

Baldur's Gate 2
Planescape Torment
Shadow of the Colossus
The Witcher 2
The Mass Effect series (I waited for the Extended Cut before playing it)
Tales of Xillia
Fall from Heaven (a Civ IV mod)
Acecombat 04 (I played it when I was 12. I'm not sure if I would still have gotten that "I'm blessed to have played this" feeling if I played it today, but nonetheless it's a wonderful game with an excellent story)

Lord_Jaroh

Ad-Free Finally!
Apr 24, 2007
Off the top of my head, in no particular order:

The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim
Final Fantasy Tactics
Diablo II: Lord of Destruction
Rock Band 2
Twisted Metal 2
Soul Calibur 2
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
Journey
Valkyria Chronicles
Freelancer

With an honorable mention to Demon Souls, only because I haven't finished it yet. And maybe Heroes of Might and Magic 3. I'm still waiting for a game to compete with that, although The Banner Saga is phenomenal so far...

EDIT: Removed EVE Online for Journey. How could I forget that gem of a game!

Of course, there are so many other great games that aren't on this list, but these are the ones that I enjoyed more than any other game from similar genres even. Of all the games I play, they are always measured against these games, and nearly all wind up short in some way.

karma9308

Jan 26, 2013
I love these threads. I don't care that every gaming forum asks this question like once a week, I still love them.

(#1-#3 can all swap spots at any time and usually depend on which game is on my mind at the time)
#1. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
I love the hell outta this game. I always wanted to play it as a kid, and didn't get a chance to until a couple of years ago. The 3 day cycle can turn a lot of people off but the fact that you can turn it back at will (and that if you find out about the story, you don't want to do that.) and the sidequest heavy nature, as well as the feeling of life that the NPCs have, make it one of, if not my favorite game.

#2. Mass Effect 2
Some people really feel like Mass Effect 2 abandons what Mass Effect was originally supposed to be, and I can understand that. However, what they traded it in for was fucking awesome. There are few games/forms of media that have made me care about the characters of the story so much that I worried about their safety. The final mission of the game is still something I remember with glee, and the ending is absolutely perfect and sets up the next game while still feeling like a self contained story.

#3. Chronotrigger

You may accuse me of nostalgia, but I played this game for the first time back in the fall of 2011. It was phenomenal in 1995, and its still fantastic now. While the story is simplistic at its core, the twist of the game was still shocking and had a cast of characters that I grew to care about that I still smile when I hear their character themes. Speaking of which, the music of this game is so fucking good and one of my favorite soundtracks ever. Also dat ending.
#4. Final Fantasy 6/3
The first time I saw this game was when I was but a year old (if that) watching my uncle play this game as the intro came on the screen. I couldn't even read but I wanted to learn just to play this game. It took until i was 18 years old before I was finally able to play it and beat it. Similar to Chronotrigger, the story is simplistic but the twist still shocked me. I cared about the characters and there are several scenes in this game that still move me to tears.

#5 Walking Dead Season 1:
I recently purchased Season 2 on steam and picked up season 1 as well so I could transfer a save file. Replaying the game made me realize how damn good this story is and how well written the characters can be. While the gameplay is minimal, I dare anyone to not feel any emotion while "fighting the final boss" when all you are doing is pressing a button over and over. A fantastic ending that can pull every heart string, I can only hope season 2 lives up to the hype.
#6. Final Fantasy X
My first true final fantasy, I loved this game as a kid since I was able to really sympathize with certain characters. I've put more time into this game than any other I can think of, having several 100+ playthroughs (that would always get deleted...thanks little brother). Again, the story wasn't much but I cared about what happened to the characters enough that nothing else mattered as much. Plus, I loved the turn based combat that I haven't really seen since.

#7. Fallout New Vegas
The best thing about Fallout 3 was that it gave us Fallout NV. After playing this game, I was interested in the original two fallouts and have put so much time into this series that its safe to say I have a problem. Fixing problems that Fallout 3 had, while improving the combat, gameplay, and story- Fallout NV is fantastic.

#8. Crusader Kings 2/Europa Universalis 4
I couldn't decide, so I gave both games the nod. Its amazing how many different stories you can pull from both of these games and watch as history becomes something that you would never imagine. This game scratches so many itches that it can appeal to any strategy game lover.

#9. Doom 2
This game was my first game I ever played. I sat on my grandfather's knee while he controlled the shooting and I controlled the opening of doors and selection of weapons. As I got older, I finally became brave enough to sift through hell by myself and got me interested in shooters since. Though it needs mods to feel as alive as the game used to, its still a fanfucking tastic game that any gamer should play, even if for no other reason than to understand the history.

#10. Super Mario World
Doo doo doo doo doo do doooooo do. If you've ever played that game, you probably just had a rush of nostalgia come over you for reading the intro interlude. Though the explanation probably doesn't need much explaining. It's a Mario game! Back when Mario was hot shit and not played out.

Sorry for all the text, but I wanted to explain myself for my choices. Thanks to anyone who read all that.

Artina89

Oct 27, 2008
My top 10 games tend to fluctuate a little, as there are so many games that hold wonderful memories for me, and I like them all in uniquely different ways, but here is my list:

1.Deadly premonition: Directors cut
2. Psychonauts
3. Jet set radio future
4.Phoenix Wright: Ace attorney
5. Silent Hill 2
6. Persona 4
7.Pokemon Heartgold/Soulsilver
8. Pokemon: Red/Blue/Yellow and Pokemon: Firered/Leafgreen
9. Miles Edgeworth: Ace attorney investigations
10. Banjo-Kazooie

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
No order (even though they're in an order!) It changes too much, and I have a few series that I lump into one place 'cause it's difficult to pick one out
Mass Effect Series= I love this series, and always will, it's my go to when I don't know what to play, and though 90% of my play through's have been femshep dating a certain Turrian, I am trying to branch out!

Assassin's Creed Series = Though Ezio will always be my favorite assassin, I had a rip-roaring time with Edward after the sulky Connor in AC:3

Fallout: New Vegas= I could play this game for a week and still have only scratched the surface! Ave, true to Caesar!
Skyrim: Morrowind was wonderful, Oblivion was ok (I only go back and play the Dark Brotherhood quests now) but Skyrim just did it right for me. Bonus points for getting rid of the ?Must stare at you whilst talking? animation!

kotOR II: I know KotOR is more popular, the plot twist, the polished complete quality, but I just love it's sequel more. I think it's the companions... Ok mostly Atton!

inFAMOUS Series: The reason I bought a PS3, I love the atmosphere, the moral choice system seems relevant (it?s still the extreme all good or all dick) but relevant. And the soundtracks!
The Sims 3 (Pc)= The sims was one of the first games my hubby and I bought, he got bored of it quickly but I've stuck with it. It's my escapist game, had a bad day? Go build a house, three hours later I'll still be deciding on windows!

Saints Row 2= Yahtzee put it best in his review, it's a game that remembers why the gamer is there ?to have some f@cking fun!

Dragon Age Series= The first game is a given, good story, decent back stories for your companions and Alistair! But I know what you're saying ?what you like DA II?!?!?? Yes I do, I'm happy to overlook the fact that all the bandits/ apostates/ giant spiders live in the save cave (roomy!) for an enjoyable storyline and interesting companions? and Varric! My only disappointment with the second game was the fact that Varric couldn't be dated!

And finally!
Bioshock Infinite= I only finished this for the first time yesterday? my deity am I gob smacked... So why the instant inclusion on my top 10 list? Any game that makes me want to rush home from work and restart must be good! There's also the plot, but I'm still getting my head around that!
Thanks for reading

Ieyke

Jul 24, 2008
There are a lot of people with terrible picks who seem like they must be pretty young, and there are also a lot of people who've made some excellent picks.

This is a tough one.

Mine is a Top 18, because this list is stupid-hard to narrow down.

So here's by Top 10 18....roughly in order...maybe:
  • - MegaMan X4 - Like MegaMan X, except better....mostly.
    - MegaMan X -
    Actually perfect.
    - Suikoden II
    - Epic tale. Awesome characters. Awesome game. Awesome castle. Awesome everything.
    - Donkey Kong Country 2:Diddy's Kong Quest
    - Just sooo sooooo good in every way.
    - Okami
    - Okami knocked all Zelda games off the list. Because it's the best Zelda game.
    - Assassin's Creed 2
    - It's sad how none of its sequels have come at all close to matching it.
    - Arcanum:Of Steamworks & Magick Obscura
    - It's Fallout, but better. If Arcanum were translated to 3D the way Fallout was, no one would give any shits about The Elder Scrolls.
    - Portal
    - Essentially perfect. The sequel failed to improve on or even match the original. Portal is hilarious, has amazing gameplay, super clever puzzles, and it's tight as a drum. Portal never misses a beat. Every second is well used from beginning to end.
    - Diablo 2:Lord Of Destruction
    - This is the reason people hate Diablo 3. On its own, D3 is a fairly okay game. Nothing real special. Nothing worthy of hate. But when you factor in the epicness of Diablo 2:LoD and what that means in terms of EPIC-SCALE wasted potential....it causes hate. Gameplay, atmosphere, settings, art direction, storytelling....it did everything better than Diablo 3 with the exception of the impossible - outright game resolution and graphical quality.
    - Super Mario RPG:Legend Of The Seven Stars
    - Everything great about Mario's world opened up through the lens of a perfectly crafted RPG. Back before "JRPG's" became a thing. Back before Square-Enix started making endless shitty Final Fantasy games. The most pure FUN this style of RPG has ever been. Great new characters (there's a reason Geno is the most requested character for inclusion in Super Smash Bros.), great world, simple but great adventure. And HOLY BALLS the soundtrack.
    - Super Mario Allstars+Super Mario World
    - It's a single SNES cartridge. DEAL WITH IT.
    - Pokemon Gold/Silver
    (I'll take it on faith that HeartGold/SoulSilver are superior versions of the same thing)
    - Super Mario 64
    - Castlevania:Symphony Of The Night
    - Dishonored
    - Left 4 Dead 2
    - Team Fortress 2
    - Final Fantasy Tactics:War Of The Lions

Honorable mention:
  • - Shadow Of The Colossus
    - Minecraft
    - Portal 2 - Like Portal with some extraneous bits, slightly worse pacing, and not quite as clever puzzles. Still extremely good, but the developers seem to have overextended both themselves and the game.
    - Batman:Arkham City
    - Mario Kart:Double Dash - Thus far, it's still the best entry in an iconic series.
    - The Legend Of Zelda:Link's Awakening DX
    - The Legend Of Zelda:Wind Waker HD

fenrizz

Feb 7, 2009
My little list, in no particular order:

1. Final Fantasy IX
2. Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
3. Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow
4. GTA 3: San Andreas
5. Portal
6. Fallout 3: New Vegas'
7. Monkey Island 1, 2 and 3 (I know that is 3 games, but whatever)
8. Super Mario World
9. GTA V
10. The Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind

DragonLordSerge

Mar 13, 2012
This was a hard list to make but my top ten would be:
1. Persona 3 FES
2. Chrono Trigger
3. Final Fantasy Tactics
4. Castlevania Symphony of the Night
5. Xenogears and Xenosaga
6. Devil May Cry 3
7. Dragon Age Origins
8. Knights of the Old Republic
9. Bioshock
10. Arc the Lad Collection

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
That list is mental, everyone knows Perfect Dark or the Timesplitters series are better then Goldeneye.

V TheSystem V

Sep 11, 2009
Difficult one, but I'll give it a shot.

1. Red Dead Redemption
2. Mass Effect 2
3. Pokemon Silver
4. Resident Evil 4
5. Portal
6. The Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim
7. Left 4 Dead 2
8. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
9. Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
10. Super Mario 64

This list changes constantly, but the first 2 games remain the same. The weekend Mass Effect 2 came out was one where I only left the game to eat and sleep: I don't think I had ever been so immersed in a game.

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
So, because I don't want to spend the next 3 hours trying to whittle the games down, here's my Top 30, in no particular order.

1- Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
2- Mass Effect 2
3- Mass Effect 3
3- Spec Ops: The Line
4- World of Warcraft(specifically from Wrath of the Lich King to now)
5- Knights of the Old Republic
6- Knights of the Old Republic 2
7- Assassin's Creed 2
8- Assassin's Creed 2: Revelations
9- Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag
10- Bioshock
11- Command and Conquer Generals w/ Zero Hour
12- Command and Conquer: Red Alert 2 w/o Yuri's Revenge because that shit was dumb
13- Hitman: Blood Money
14- Left 4 Dead 2
15- Saint's Row 2(only Saint's Row I've ever played)
16- StarCraft 2: Heart of the Swarm
17- Super Mario 64
18- The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
19- Total War: Medieval 2
20- Fallout: New Vegas...if I ever finish it.
21- Super Mario World
22- Elder Scrolls: Skyrim...if I ever finish it.
23- Star Wars: X-Wing
24- Baldur's Gate 2 w/ or w/o expansion.
25- Star Wars: X-Wing Alliance
26- Star Wars: X-Wing vs Tie Fighter with Balance of Power(I never played Tie Fighter, btw)
27- Star Wars Jedi Knight: Dark Forces 2
28- Star Wars Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast
29- Star Wars Battlefront 2
30- Call of Duty 2 with expansion

This list just reminded me how much I want a new Jedi Knight game and a new X-Wing game.

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
Top Ten? Ooohh boy. Thats a hard list. I don't think I could actually put them in order, but the list would consist of:

Megaman X
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald
Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory
Jade Empire
Super Mario.....any of them, really
Halo: Combat Evolved
World of Warcraft: Wraith of the Lich King
Bayonetta