Topical Tuesday: Rage

Outright Villainy

Jan 19, 2010
Shapsters said:
RAKtheUndead said:
Shapsters said:
Why is the Escapist so insistent on things that make us angry? "What do you hate the most?" "What sets you into a rage?" Why not be happy? Talk about things you love and things that make you happy and forget abut bad things.

Things that make me angry? People who linger on little things that piss them off instead of focusing on all the good stuff.
Somebody didn't take a look at the topic of this week's Weekly Issue, I gather.
No didn't but if its related to this topic then the point still stands. Why not write about happy things like puppies and rainbows?

Or double rainbows!!
Seems appropriate. [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_v468ptuXw] :D
I try not to let too many things get me into a ragey lather anyway, what's the point?
Unless it's a blue shell. Those can fuck right off.

Shapsters

Dec 16, 2008
Outright Villainy said:
Shapsters said:
RAKtheUndead said:
Shapsters said:
Why is the Escapist so insistent on things that make us angry? "What do you hate the most?" "What sets you into a rage?" Why not be happy? Talk about things you love and things that make you happy and forget abut bad things.

Things that make me angry? People who linger on little things that piss them off instead of focusing on all the good stuff.
Somebody didn't take a look at the topic of this week's Weekly Issue, I gather.
No didn't but if its related to this topic then the point still stands. Why not write about happy things like puppies and rainbows?

Or double rainbows!!
Seems appropriate. [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_v468ptuXw] :D
I try not to let too many things get me into a ragey lather anyway, what's the point?
Unless it's a blue shell. Those can fuck right off.
Blegh, fucking blue shells!

Awesome music video, nothing better than dancing and singing on a bus full of people!

Motiv_

Jun 2, 2009
What drives me absolutely insane is elitists and fanboys.

Now, mind you, not everyone who has a preference of console or PC is a fanboy or an elitist. And typically it's the same as the "Troll" card, people throw it around once someone disagrees with them in the hopes of defusing their argument.

Typically, in my mind, a fanboy absolutely refuses to recognize that his platform of choice has faults, and refuses to recognize that the other platforms have their own uses as well. Every console and PC has pros and cons, and I'm waiting for that to sink into their thick skulls. Maybe once they do, the gaming world in general will be a better place.

Although, they are tragically hilarious to watch when you're not directly involved. Hell, it seems like console or game bashing threads pop up every other day here on the Escapist, and it always kills me inside to see the first page or so full of intelligent arguments, and then a few trolls from each side jump in and get the whole lot of them riled up with their blind fanaticism.

I find myself easily enraged by online games of any kind. If I do good, they ragequit. If I don't do good, I get shit on. Shooters, Strategy, Racing, you name it. That and the uneducated, filthy rabble that infests itself on most gaming servers makes me sick. If it's not lag, it's screechy kids. If it's not kids, it's immature douchebags who say "Fuck" and "******" every other word. If it's not douches, it's hackers or exploiters, who valiantly defend their efforts. And if it's not them, then the server is modded, or has abusive admins, or someone wants to kick me to make room for a friend, or they don't speak English, or they constantly accuse me of hacking, or they spam me with friend requests when I've made it quite clear that I'm not interested...

Now that I read that back, I realize I sound a little whiny and a little bit vain. I try my best to be an entertaining person to game with, but I have a rather big temper that's easily tapped and can be set off by many things. I play games to escape, not to get even more angry.

Sonofadiddly

Dec 19, 2009
I hate being mocked every time I die. A lot of games these days are set up so that the player will be revived just before the difficult parts of the game, meaning that the player will most likely die a couple times and there will be a short amount of time between each death. Example: Arkham Asylum. Many of the bosses require a bit of trial and error before you get the pattern. Must the game lord it over me every time I screw up? It's like the developers wanted me to embarrass myself by screaming at the TV screen.

SHUT UP. SHUT UP JOKER. I KILL YOU.

Skorpyo

Average Person Extraordinaire!
May 2, 2010
I HATE it when every once in a while, the developers decide to throw in an impossi-puzzle to try and break up gameplay and make things interesting for a second.

This never goes well.

Ironic Pirate

May 21, 2009
Shapsters said:

It's just the most recent topic. Next week it'll be "Games and Waffles, a history of Violence" or something.

I hate, hate hate, fucking DESPISE non-regenerating health in games. People say "Oh, it'll encourage exploration...". No it fucking won't, it'll encourage me screaming and leaving the game me backtracking for five minutes, past all the bodies that already faded (denying me even the satisfaction of observing my handiwork) in search of a health pack I may or may not have seen five minutes ago. Turns out, the game doesn't let me go back that far anyway, and I have to spend another five minutes getting back to where the fun is. Where I'm promptly killed by a stiff breeze. Fuck.

Devil's Due

Sep 27, 2008
I rage in multiplayer games that become too competitive such as StarCraft 2 and MW2 where people seem to try to hone their skills for weeks on end to get the "perfect" attack that no one can counter because they feel it's their destiny to be the top player for such games, plus the millions that try to follow them.

I like having fun in games and multiplayer games where I can kill still and relax. Sure, losing sucks and I'll get pissed after many loses in a row, but most games I don't mind such as Gears and BioShock. It's the games where people take it WAY too seriously. I don't think I need to quote any stats about how people take StarCraft series seriously, unless you want all the links to StarCraft tournaments, deaths from playing the game for too many hours straight, etc.

andy_wolfe

Mar 30, 2010
one thing that has really gotten under my skin lately, is the control schemes for modern RPGs. i seem to recall it started (for me) with sacred 2 fallen angel. console action RPGs where you click on an enemy and sit back and watch the fight. dragon age did it as well, ruined the game for me. what happened to press button: slash with sword, press other button: block. now it's watch people fight on screen and heal them occasionally. WTF man!?
it tends to muck up the immersion, you're not playing the character as much as just leading them to their next big fight scene where you get to have another action packed adventure in sitting and watching.
i think it comes from WoW where it makes sense to have a control scheme of that sort, on the pc you have a whole bunch of buttons for quick tabs 'n'at. and a mouse for clicking a thousand things on screen in rapid succession. but i really doesn't work as well on consoles where your button options are limited.

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
Whenever someone makes a comment that can be responded to as, "That's your opinion. Opinions can't "true" by their very nature." Or, "Just because you said, 'In my opinion,' doesn't mean you aren't just being an asshole and you shouldn't have said that in the first place." Or how about, "If you don't know what you're talking about, then for heaven's sake, don't talk about it. That's just plain slander!"

I also hate it when people repeat things that everyone on this site has heard over and over and over multiple times in an individual thread when the OP asks specifically for one to not post it.
Like, say, the anti-mac sentiment. I don't need to type it out. You've read it, heard it, and possibly said it at least thirty times.

And on the other hand, there's Henry, the bunny that lives in my back yard. I'm going to go say "Hi" to him and be happy now.