Torchlight II Video Review!

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Torchlight II Video Review!

As promised way back during the beta I hath created a video review featuring the spiritual successor to Diablo II, Torchlight II!

Enjoy! :3

When converting it into a format suitable for Youtube I ran into a few hiccups... the quality is a little less than I had hoped, so I may re-upload a higher quality version when I have time this week. In any event, I am looking for any kind of feedback, especially anything regarding presentation style! I really don't like the sound of my own voice it seems D:

You can visit my blog [http://clickharder.wordpress.com/] for more stuff, though not much is happening on that end at the moment.

SlaveNumber23

A WordlessThing, a ThinglessWord
Aug 9, 2011
Very nice, does the game justice but you forgot to scream at the viewers: "BUY THIS GAME ITS AMAZING!"

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Looks like the newer version of the video turned out a lot better than the last one.

:D

Also, I wanted to give a shout out to Darks63 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/profiles/view/Darks63] for being a sport and playing some co-op with me for the video. He's the other mage in some of the shots.

bobmus

Full Frontal Nerdity
May 25, 2010
Very nice review Fappy, even if you sometimes sound just a teensy bit bored? One of those voices I guess :p
Disregarding that small point, the review was pretty damn thorough, and I legitimately laughed at the ending. :)

I like that one of your characters there was called 'Spanky'. Do you just love the risque names 'Fappy'??

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
bobmus said:
Very nice review Fappy, even if you sometimes sound just a teensy bit bored? One of those voices I guess :p
Disregarding that small point, the review was pretty damn thorough, and I legitimately laughed at the ending. :)

I like that one of your characters there was called 'Spanky'. Do you just love the risque names 'Fappy'??
Maybe a bit :p

I also type in some silly stuff into the online lobby, but it's kind of hard to read.

I know what you're saying though and I think it's due to a combination of things:

- Apparently I suck at reading out compound sentences
- While trying to make my voice more clear I also made myself sound a bit monotone
- I used a camcorder mic since my PC's mic jack isn't working properly
- I probably could have made a few more takes. This was a pain considering how I was recording the audio in the first place. Hopefully I have a better mic to work with next time. It was the camera or an Xbox mic DX

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Aylaine said:
Hehe, good review. I agree with most of what you said, especially the story. I understand that a good portion of Runic worked on Diablo, but some of the similaries between the two games story and setting really bugs me. :x
I wanted to keep the comparisons out of the review, but I completely agree. I did most of the recording in Act II, which like Diablo 2, takes place entirely in a desert. While I actually like Act II a lot (unlike some other reviewers here :p) it did bug me that the flow of the story was basically just Diablo 2 all over again. You even get a swamp/forest for Act 3!

At least TL2's Act 3 doesn't have those fucking pygmy guys. I hated them DX

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Seems to be a pretty good review. Gives a fair amount of info and balances some criticisms along with the mountains of praise.
You might want to invest in a new microphone if you're planning to continue though. I noticed a lot of fuzziness in the background, seems pretty jarring if you're not expecting it.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
hazabaza1 said:
Seems to be a pretty good review. Gives a fair amount of info and balances some criticisms along with the mountains of praise.
You might want to invest in a new microphone if you're planning to continue though. I noticed a lot of fuzziness in the background, seems pretty jarring if you're not expecting it.
I think the fuzziness was actually the fault of the editor (Corel 09') as the fuzziness didn't exist until I converted the project into an MPEG. I tried other video formats too and the fuzziness persisted for some reason. I had three layers of audio going, so it could have just been related to that.

Despite that I'm going to be looking for a good USB headset soon, so that should hopefully go a long way in making future reviews higher quality.

swinkycat

Oct 2, 2012
I thought the review was really good! You brought up some points I definitely agree with, like how frustrating it is to be constantly sifting through new gear and ripping your hair out trying to figure out which is better, while your friends (or boyfriend *cough*) get annoyed with you for holding up multiplayer.

I also really wish you could respec completely. The way it is, you just have to make multiple characters in order to test out all the different skills for each class... which is kind of okay, I guess, since the game is so much fun that I don't mind replaying it multiple times. Still kind of lame, because I worry about messing up my build and not being able to go back and fix it.

And yes, I do like the story... I agree the plot is really simple and straight-forward overall, but if you take the time to actually read all the quest prompts and dialogue, there are points in the game when you actually do get interesting little bits of story. For example,

Act I, when you have to collect three notes written by the Alchemist--read them! They give you some cool insight into his character and his perspective on things. They actually made me feel a little sympathetic towards him. I like stuff like that!

I do agree that you sounded a little bored at some points, but I think you just need to practice a little more at reading from a script but still sounding natural. And I think that's a skill that most people have to work at before they do it well, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Overall I think you did a really good job! Keep it up! Now I just need to force you to play Persona 3: FES so you can review that, too... Hmm!

Overusedname

Emcee: the videogame video guy
Jun 26, 2012
Good job man, you have a good voice for this kind of thing and you raise good points and tackled each part in a timely manner. But there were some noticeable audio problems: It got a little hard to hear at point when the music swelled. The music is good for setting the tone of the game and the review, but it needs to be relegated to background noise. Sound editing comes from experience, so just bare that in mind for the next time. And I agree you sounded a little bored at one or two spots, but that will become better with practice. A great first effort.

Good job, look forward to more.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Thanks guys :D

CrunkParty said:
I don't actually follow GT so I guess it's just coincidental. I agree about the trailing off... that's just something I'm going to have to work on.

Overusedname said:
I agree with both of you about mixing/volume levels. I actually did play with them a lot, but I think it's pretty apparent at this point that I am not an audio guy >.>

Practice makes perfect I suppose.

swinkycat said:
Maybe someday... if you're good ;P

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
I've got an axe that summons meteors when I smash faces.
This game is amazing.

Goofguy

Nov 25, 2010
Pretty bang on review. I was (still am) a bit irked with the lack of item linking in the chat. It's not a game changer, just a pretty damn good nice-to-have.

I'm fortunate in that I haven't had to respec anything on either of my characters. While my alt Berserker could probably use it, I'm confident enough to say my main Engineer is the perfect build for my play style.