Torment: Tides of Numenera Shatters Kickstarter Record

saintdane05

Aug 2, 2011
Vegosiux said:
Hammeroj said:
Really looking forward to see how the game turns out. More money = better.
That's true to an extent, but one should not underestimate the effect time has as well - more time devoted to the project = also better. Well, I suppose "time is money"...

Still being cautiously optimistic and keeping a keen eye on this, my final judgement is reserved for when I actually see the end product.
Unless you are Gearbox. Then the quality of the game is inversely proportional to the years it takes to make.

Terrible Opinions

Sep 11, 2011
Legion said:
DarkhoIlow said:
I think we should take bets on how much money will it reach within the kickstarter time limit. My previous prediction of 3.5m was completely low so I see I must raise the stakes. I am guessing it will get in between 5.5m - 8m when this is all over.
Personally I don't think it will go too much higher. It's done fantastic, but I think it will begin to slow down.

I don't think it will make much beyond $3 million.

I'd be delighted to be proven wrong of course.
All these big Kickstarters begin huge, get slow as hell for the vast majority of it, then have a major uptick towards the end. Happened for Wasteland 2, happened for Double Fine Adventure, happened for Project Eternity. If their last few days are similar to the other big Kickstarters, and there is no reason not to believe that, then they could literally make zero dollars for the next three weeks and still break $3 million.

If you want to see how Torment stacks up against the other big Kickstarter games, a friendly fellow organized these nice charts [https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AjRsTwF0aHv6dFVwaTF1WTI5b24tbGxpQUdQNU1TSHc#gid=14].

Apr 5, 2008
Good for them. Anyone who makes a "hardcore" PC RPG today is going to get my money. I bet WotC are kicking themselves right now after seeing how popular this is and how much money (not to mention publicity, brand awareness and potential customers) they've missed out on by not licensing Planescape to inXile.

wombat_of_war said:
this is definitely one to back. its funny that the types of games publishers abandoned because they werent viable are breaking records and its not even sales but investment
You said it. EA manufactures mass-market tripe, Activision just re-release CoD annually with a new number on the box and they think it's all that gamers want (though in fairness to CoD, it's selling).

aelreth

Dec 26, 2012
It was a stroke of genius to start the kickstarter when they did, This way they will have 3 pay checks as infusions of capital to make this.

However this is how it's done, they were teasing this for about a month, not like the Wildman kickstarter that had almost no build up.

If you aren't already please make suggestions on tormentrpg.com, thank you.