TorrentFreak Reveals Top Pirated Games of 2011

Mike Kayatta

Minister of Secrets
Aug 2, 2011
TorrentFreak Reveals Top Pirated Games of 2011

The industry faces yet another year of massive loss while gamers pilfer more than a billion dollars worth of virtual goods.

Videogame lists abound this time of year, tracking everything from personal favorites to top sellers. But as we reach the end of the holiday season, perhaps it's time to finally take a break from the "nice" and put our eyes to the "naughty." That's exactly what BitTorrent news site, TorrentFreak, decided to do when it pulled the data on a year's worth of pirating trends for the PC, Xbox 360, and Wii.

Somewhat obviously, the PC dominates the not-so-coveted "most plundered" category. Without the need for altering hardware to accept pirated games, the computer community is plagued by more than three times the amount of virtual theft per cross-platform game than its console counterparts.

Most Pirated PC Games (by download)
1. Crysis 2 (3,920,000)
2. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (3,650,000)
3. Battlefield 3 (3,510,000)
4. FIFA 12 (3,390,000)
5. Portal 2 (3,240,000)

As some of you may remember, the "winning" title, Crysis 2, was actually leaked over a month prior to release, causing EA to worry that the game's launch would suffer considerably. After less than a hundred thousand leaked copies went out (a comparatively tiny number), EA breathed a sigh of relief. Little did they know that it would actually be the next month, after the game's official release, that would bring the real avalanche of piracy. The tsunami of downloads that followed eventually granted it not only the top spot for PC titles, but also "most pirated game for any platform of 2011."

Next up is the Wii:

Most Pirated Wii Games (by download)
1. Super Mario Galaxy 2 (1,280,000)
2. Mario Sports Mix (1,090,000)
3. Xenoblade Chronicles (950,000)
4. Lego Pirates of the Caribbean (870,000)
5. FIFA 12 (860,000)

Interestingly (or sadly, depending on your opinion of the implications), the top pirated game for the Wii in 2011 wasn't actually a 2011 title. Super Mario Galaxy 2 was released in 2010, and took "top honors" in that year as well.

Finally, here are the numbers for Xbox 360:

Most Pirated Xbox 360 Games (by download)
1. Gears of War 3 (890,000)
2. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (830,000)
3. Battlefield 3 (760,000)
4. Forza Motorsport 4 (720,000)
5. Kinect Sports: Season Two (690,000)

Microsoft's console was hit the least of the three reported platforms, but even 700,000 copies of a full-priced Xbox title is still a painful $42,000,000 of potential revenue loss.

Other platforms were not included due to their relatively low numbers. Perhaps the most notable exclusion is the PlayStation 3, though that likely has more to do with the methodology (illegal games are generally downloaded directly, and therefore more difficult to track) than an actual lack of pirates using the console.

It's easy to get lost in numbers when they hit the nine-digit range, but if you really think about those numbers, I mean really think about them, that's a massive amount of illegal downloads. And remember, these lists only represent three of the primary ways people game, and only five of the myriad titles available per system. It wouldn't be fair to say that every pirated copy represents a lost sale, but it would be equally unfair to say that every copy didn't. While, for some, it's easy to think of downloading a game as free and easy, this is our community, folks, and we all have an individual responsibility to support it.

Source: TorrentFreak [http://torrentfreak.com/top-10-most-pirated-games-of-2011-111230/]

MrTub

Mar 12, 2009
Meh I really do not care, and in no way is a download a lost sale. Just look at studies done on this.

But I cannot believe that people have downloaded fifa 3.4 millions times on pc...

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
Funny how the infamous developers/publishers for the PC get the highest hits....

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Deegamah said:
Hmm... I'm noticing a distinct lack of 4.5 million Witcher 2 downloads.
That's actually a good thing then. CD Projekt Red estimated that number via mathematics, but it was still just a guess. If it is lower than that, then this can only be a good thing.

Noble_Lance

Sep 4, 2011
Can someone quote me and explain how you pirate a Wii, Xbox, PS3 game? I understand the ability to pirate a PC game to a PC but I'm confused about the others.

Apr 28, 2008
People pirated Crysis 2 the most?

Why?

Also, do they have numbers for how much Witcher 2 was pirated? I believe pretty much everyone, including the developers, thought that it was 4.5 million or more. Would be nice to know the actual area of the numbers. Since it's obviously not that much, otherwise it'd be on the list.

Versuvius

Apr 30, 2008
The worst publisher hit was EA. So nothing of value was lost.

As for a Wii you can preload hundreds of cracked games on it depending on your method of storage. I haven't myself, as i don't own a Wii or could put up with motion control. And PC's emulate Gamecubes fine.

Mike Kayatta

Minister of Secrets
Aug 2, 2011
Irridium said:
People pirated Crysis 2 the most?

Why?

Also, do they have numbers for how much Witcher 2 was pirated? I believe pretty much everyone, including the developers, thought that it was 4.5 million or more. Would be nice to know the actual area of the numbers. Since it's obviously not that much, otherwise it'd be on the list.
I think that Crysis is known as a bit of a benchmark, so many people likely downloaded it to see how it would run on their rigs. Notice that the console version of game wasn't on the top five of the other list. That may point to a PC-specific reason deeper than gamers just "wanting that game the most." That's just my personal speculation, though.

BoogieManFL

Apr 14, 2008
I'd also venture a guess that the numbers have something to do with far more people having computers than consoles.

Also, lack of demos. I firmly believe not having a demo for your game greatly increases how much it's pirated.

Meight08

*Insert Funny Title*
Feb 16, 2011
again the graphical milestones get screwed over by pirates and pc gamers wil undoubtedly say that no money or profit was lost or that its ea´s fault and get angry when companies decide to make the pc a lower priority or go to consoles or give it drm or drop it entirely............

Anyone see the bloody irony and entitelment?

saregos

the undying
Jul 7, 2009
Mike Kayatta said:
Even 700,000 copies of a full-priced Xbox title is still a painful $42,000,000 of potential revenue loss.
It wouldn't be fair to say that every pirated copy represents a lost sale, but it would be equally unfair to say that every copy didn't.
So why did you? And if you actually read the studies (instead of jumping into an "OMG PIRACY IS BAD" mentality) you'd know the following:

1) Most pirates, if they like the game, will purchase it at some point in the future. Oftentimes the pirated copy is treated as a glorified demo (and I'll note, by the way, that none of the games called out above have demos), as that particular bit of customer service has fallen by the wayside in the interest of bigger margins.

2) Of those pirates who don't buy the game, the vast majority would not have bought it even if a pirated version wasn't available.

You're being disingenuous even putting a number like $42M in your article. Actual losses are a tiny fraction of that... although, as you point out, it's not fair to say it's zero, it's also fair to say it's much, much closer to zero than 42M.

Anyways, calling out your errors isn't the biggest point that needs to be made.
~~~
The point that needs raising is that study after study after study (and I mean real studies, not industry shill studies) have demonstrated that piracy is a symptom of a failure in customer service - i.e. the pirate almost universally produces a better product than the studio in at least some respects.

Pirated games
1) Provide a try-before-you-buy opportunity. I.e. the ability to try that $60 game before you make a $60 commitment.
2) Tend not to have the unskippable "this company made this game!" crap at the beginning.
3) Aren't as restricted (DRM and install limit wise)
4) In some cases, provide additional features. For example, LAN play or local multiplayer.

Purchased games
1) Treat you like a criminal.

So... which product would you prefer to have?

Meight08

*Insert Funny Title*
Feb 16, 2011
BoogieManFL said:
I'd also venture a guess that the numbers have something to do with far more people having computers than consoles.

Also, lack of demos. I firmly believe not having a demo for your game greatly increases how much it's pirated.
crysis 2 has gaikai in browser dmeo´s im playing one right now look
http://www.screwattack.com/game-trials#Client
so that is a flaw in your argument the most pirated game had a multiplayer demo
and in browser demo´s this was just pure piracy and "prtesting" pc gamers.

vrbtny

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2009
theonecookie said:
So the WII has more piracy than the Xbox is it me or is that bit odd
Honestly, it isn't really much of surprise. The 360 has a lot more security and updates incredibly frequently(and i think the updates are mandatory if you are connected to internet) whereas the Wii barely ever has software update, and the updates aren't compulsory. So people just don't bother updating.

Also playing illegal games is incredibly easy. All you need is a SD card and a spare USB pen. Whereas the Xbox you have to do loads of disk flashing and stuff.

Add to this that best of Xbox 360 content is online (Multiplayer gaming, mostly) and the Wii's isn't. Online gaming is always when pirates get caught out, and with the wii most games have the majority of their content offline.

Mike Kayatta

Minister of Secrets
Aug 2, 2011
The Plunk said:
This confirms my suspicions that most people pirate games because they want to know if their computers can run it before they buy it. Why else would Crysis 2 be the most pirated?

Also, it would interesting to know how many times Witcher 2 was actually pirated.

Mike Kayatta said:
The industry faces yet another year of massive loss
Do you have any evidence to back up this statement or are you just making it up?
I'm just making it up. All (conservatively) 100 million copies of various games illegally downloaded last year were all for demo purposes. Every single person who downloaded them promptly quit after playing thirty minutes, deleted the file, and purchased the game legitimately. Not even one person was interested in a game, but chose to downloaded it off BitTorrent instead of buying it. There's no way the industry lost even a dollar off of this legitimate and wholesome practice, so yeah, I'm making it up. Ya got me!