Total War: China Announced

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Set during the Romance of the Three Kingdoms era of China.

This coming out in Fall of this year tells me I won't be seeing Total War: Warhammer 3 until next year.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Gethsemani said:
I only waited like 12 years for this... Shut up, CA, and take my money!
Time to learn my history of the Three Kingdoms era of China and who are the major players in this era of conflict.

Sep 24, 2008
No.

I'm sorry, I just got used to the magic setting with Warhammer. I want more of that. I wanted Total War 40k, or my wet dream has been Total War Shadowrun (Yes, I don't have any idea how it would work, but I love the universe)

Or hey, Total War Xcom. Add two new species that the Advent were actively fighting against.

I'm going to get Total War China. I've always loved the Three Kingdoms. But my mood has been shifted into magic and sci-fi. That's what I want now.

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
Finally! I kinda rather wanted another Chinese time frame bit its good enough.

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
The Chinese ministry of culture bans any media that depicts China as anything other than a united country. For this reason I suspect Chinese players will have a harder time getting hold of it, which is a shame for them.

I cannot say anything more, since I've only played one Total War game and I didn't like it.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Is it based on the romanticised version or on real historical record? Are there going to be magic and stuff? Is Lu Bu going to a one man army? Elephant?

So many question (also good choice by CA, but that means 40K is less likely in the immediate future).

Gethsemani_v1legacy

Oct 1, 2009
Meiam said:
Is it based on the romanticised version or on real historical record? Are there going to be magic and stuff? Is Lu Bu going to a one man army? Elephant?

So many question (also good choice by CA, but that means 40K is less likely in the immediate future).
I get the feeling that they are heading in at least a semi-romanticised version, seeing as how the heroes are prominently on display in the trailer. My guess is that they'll use something similar to the Lord/Hero system in Warhammer to represent these legendary heroes. Which probably is a good compromise between "My army is Lu Bu" and "Like Attila but in China".

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Meiam said:

We will see a World War 2 Total War before we see a Warhammer 40k Total War.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Bedinsis said:
The Chinese ministry of culture bans any media that depicts China as anything other than a united country. For this reason I suspect Chinese players will have a harder time getting hold of it, which is a shame for them.

I cannot say anything more, since I've only played one Total War game and I didn't like it.
How do they treat Koei's various Three Kingdoms games? (Dynasty Warriors, Kessen)

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
I dunno, aren't all these games basically the same now? Can't they just make 1 Total War game and release skins for it? I mean what really is the difference between Chinese spear-men against Cavalry, and Empire spear-men against Bretonnian cavalry?

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
Bedinsis said:

They might make an exception here. The three kingdoms are kind of a classic.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Silentpony said:
I dunno, aren't all these games basically the same now? Can't they just make 1 Total War game and release skins for it? I mean what really is the difference between Chinese spear-men against Cavalry, and Empire spear-men against Bretonnian cavalry?
Animations mostly.

And Siege Battles in Rome 2 and Attila are alot more deeper than Warhammers.

(You can forify mini walls within the streets of the city, actually placing artillary pieces on walls, etc.)

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Well this is rather interesting. I have to say, I rather like the current state of the Total War franchise. Big sweeping games like this, along with more focused games like Throne of Britannia, it's a good time to be into Total War.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
erttheking said:
Well this is rather interesting. I have to say, I rather like the current state of the Total War franchise. Big sweeping games like this, along with more focused games like Throne of Britannia, it's a good time to be into Total War.
Still this appears to be the year of the Historical Games which means I won't be seing Total War: Warhammer 3 until Fall/Holiday 2019.

Which means I won't be seeing Khorne Daemons for less than 2 years now :(

They better have more surprises with their DLC for Total War: Warhammer 2 before they move on to 3.

TheFinish

Grand Admiral
May 17, 2010
This looks fun. But really, what they SHOULD have done is do Total Warhammer 3, but set it in Cathay.

Then you get the best of both worlds! AND OGRES!

jademunky

Mar 6, 2012
Bedinsis said:

Nah, Romance of the Three Kingdoms (which is what all games of that era are based on) is basically China's war of the roses.